shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Thanksgiving ideas for LO and me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Dh just got his schedule for the next month, and he is on call on Thanksgiving, so working 6 AM till the following noon.

We are 9 hours away from family, and neither of our families are coming to visit us, and I just got back from a trip there with ds (3 months), so am not up for doing that.

I love thanksgiving and thanksgiving foods, but dh doesn''t even eat turkey.

Any ideas on what I should do on Thanksgiving day with a 3 month old lo while dh is at work? I''m afraid if I just spend it like any other weekday I will be depressed!

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Go to a parade! The baby will love it and it will definitely get you in the holiday spirit! You don''t leave near NYC by chance do you? Because that one is the best! But I am sure the city nearest you will have one, even small towns do their own.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Also, lots of Churches have Thanksgiving dinners sold by the plate that day. You could look into buying a plate or two instead of trying to figure out how to make dinner.

SOrry that you''ll be away from your whole family!!

maybe get out some Christmas decorations too??

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have very good family friends who often find themselves in your situation on Thanksgiving, Sabine. The husband frequently travels out of the country for work over Thanksgiving, and their only family is out of town. They have two young daughters. This is what she does:

- She prepares a miniature version of a traditional Thanksgiving meal. She makes a turkey breast, and only the sides that she and her daughters love.
- They rent a bunch of movies, stay in their PJs all day, watch the movies and munch on their mini feast as they please. They don''t sit down for the meal or anything, they just pick at the food throughout the day as they lounge around watching movies. I think they pick a theme for the movies, like "Audrey Hepburn" or "romantic comedies."

I know this sounds like something that would be more fun if your kids are old enough to enjoy with you, but she''s been doing this since they were first married.

The idea to go see a parade sounds like a ton of fun, too!

Also, my synagogue always has a list of people who are spending Thanksgiving alone, or who are looking for a family to join on Thanksgiving. I know it''s an iffy thing to do if you aren''t a part of the community and don''t know the people, but maybe a local church or temple knows of some other people who are in your situation, too, and you could get together with them. We''ve invited strangers to our table in the past and it''s always been a lot of fun.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say make it a fun, unconventional Thanksgiving! Spend your day baking some fun treats for you and your LO - somethign that your DH would love too, and you can surprise him with it the next day. Order in dinner from your favourite restaurant and watch a fun kids movie with your baby. I''d recommend ''Up'' - I took my brother to watch and we both loved it!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Maybe you and Jacks could volunteer at a Senior home or church?

Last year I bought dinner for 2 from Sprouts, they were the only store that sold the package things in a small quantity. It didn''t cost much, and still came with everything.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like Haven''s idea a lot! I''m all for spending the whole day in my PJs if I''m just hanging around the house, and watching movies and eating treats sounds so fun. I also like the idea of baking -- maybe try a new recipe or an old favorite. I''m sorry that you''re husband won''t be there to celebrate with you. Would you consider celebrating Thanksgiving on a day when he''ll be home?

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I know you just moved to your town, but I''m sure you''ve made some friends or acquaintances. Can you or your DH sort of hint that you would like to be invited to spend the holiday with some of your friends? I believe you said it''s a military residency program, so I''m sure tons of people have been in the same boat and would be glad to invite you. Who knows maybe next year or next holiday their DH will be working and you can include them.

Another idea, maybe just celebrate the holiday on the next day that your DH will be off??

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I have no idea if "on call" is where he''s busy all the time or if he has some downtime-but if he has some downtime could you and Jacks go visit him and meet him for an impromptu dinner in the cafeteria or something? Not ideal-but might be fun!

In the past when my DH and I have been away from family/friends we bucked the trend and ordered chinese.
9.gif

cara

Ideal_Rock
Do some kind of outside treat for you and the bebe (walk in park, etc) in the morning and then wangle yourself an invite to someone else''s Tday feast. I''ve done this both with and without my other half (when he''s on call), cause we don''t travel to either hometown for Thanksgiving usually, but we have had some great meals with others over the years. I have on occasion been known to fish for an invite, but most of the time people are so welcoming and eager for mouths to help them eat everything that it does not feel rude or awkward at all. Lots of times its with people we kinda know but aren''t super close with, basically whoever is left over in town without a bunch of family madness going on! Heck, lots of times its sprinkled with non-Americans making the best of our tradition.

That way you get to have a real holiday meal without having to cook something elaborate for only you and your milk-eating baby (and leftovers.) And the socialization will probably be nice too
1.gif

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/9/2009 7:34:02 PM
Author: neatfreak

In the past when my DH and I have been away from family/friends we bucked the trend and ordered chinese.
9.gif
That''s what we did this (Canadian) Thanksgiving!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
I like the idea of baking in your PJs on Thanksgiving. You make Thanksgiving day the day where you prepare for Thanksgiving dinner the next night with your hubby! Make decorations, bake a couple pies, watch a good movie, prepare as much of the side dishes as possible so you don''t have to do as much once hubby get''s off work.

Or, are there other families who''s father is on call and would like to share Thanksgiving dinner with you??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results