shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some perspective!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m feeling a little unsatisfied with my job lately, and I''m hoping some of you can tell me whether or not it''s reasonable for me to feel that way. I''m a paralegal at a small law firm (five attorneys), and I''ve been here for nine years. (I started here when I was only 21 and I''m 30 now.) In that nine years, I''ve slightly more than doubled my pay, due to various raises and a promotion of sorts (which turned me from an hourly employee into a salary employee). It''s also important to remember that I am the most senior employee at this firm, by quite a bit.

All five attorneys are partners, and I answer directly to two of them. I am the only paralegal who deals with litigation, family law, criminal law, and bankruptcy. This is a very large portion of the work load at our firm. There is an estate paralegal (more about her later), and three other employees. The other three employees have education and experience in the paralegal field. One of them is our office manager, and the other two are basically legal secretaries/receptionists (although they do have paralegal training and prior experience). The estate paralegal has NO training or experience as a paralegal whatsoever.

Here are the things that have been bothering me:

1. In my early years at this firm, it was apparent that the most senior employee (who, at the time, was also the senior partner''s paralegal) had certain benefits that the rest of us did not have, due to her seniority. For example, she was last in line to answer the phone. Also, she never had to type dictation and, in fact, was encouraged to dictate documents herself for someone else to type up. She has since quit due to a messy conflict with the senior partner (which I believe to be his fault, not hers). Now that I''m the most senior employee, I am third in line out of five to answer the phone, and I type dictation every day.

2. When the estate paralegal was hired a few years ago, it came to be known that she had zero education and experience as a paralegal. She works directly with the senior partner, and he hired her basically on a whim. I found out (through a payroll error) that she was making SUBSANTIALLY more than me. Obviously, I raised holy hell at the time. Shortly thereafter, I was given my aforementioned "promotion" and got a pretty good pay increase, which made my salary and hers approximately equal. Personally, I feel that I should be making more than she is based on my extensive education and experience in my field, as well as my seniority with the firm, as well as the fact that I am certified and she isn''t, as well as the fact that I''m a notary public and she isn''t.

3. Speaking of the fact that I''m certified, it bears mentioning that I became certified due to my own motivation. Several years ago, I explained to the partners that I was interested in obtaining my certification and asked if they would be supportive of that. They were very enthusiastic at the time, and helped me pay for my study materials and testing fees. (I believe they paid half if I remember correctly.) They also allowed me to work four ten-hour days instead of five eight-hour days, so that I would have a day off during the week to study. (Mind you, this was before I became salaried, so my hours were limited to 40 per week at the time.) I took my certification exam and passed with flying colors on the first try. I am a member of the professional organization that administers the certifying exam, which makes it easier for me to meet my continuing education requirements to maintain my certification. The firm does pay for my continuing education, but they seem to have a problem with paying my annual dues to the professional organization. Every year, it''s a battle to get them to pay these relatively inexpensive dues. I feel like they don''t place much value on my certification. This is discouraging, because my certification exam was very difficult and required quite a lot of preparation on my part. This is a two-day exam which is to paralegals as the bar exam is to attorneys, the only difference being that an attorney must take the bar exam and it''s not a requirement for a paralegal to take the certification exam. Although I was not required to obtain my certification, I did so in order to improve my skills and make myself more valuable to my firm.

4. As I mentioned, I am also a notary public. Up until the beginning of 2008, the firm had allowed the notaries (myself and our office manager) to charge for our notary fees, but we had to pay for our own notary commission. This worked out to approximately $1,000 per year in my pocket. The firm has now changed the policy. We can no longer charge for notary fees, but the firm will pay for our notary commissions from now on. So, there goes about $1,000 per year. After my "raise" at the beginning of 2008, I''m actually making no more than I was last year due to the new policy regarding notary fees.

5. Up until the beginning of 2008, I was allowed to take my vacation time (three weeks per year) whenever I felt that it was appropriate. Starting this year, a new vacation policy has been instituted. I and the two receptionists/legal secretaries are on a rotation. This year is D''s year to have first choice of her vacation time, next year is M''s year to have first choice, and 2010 is my year to have first choice. Then, the rotation starts over with D. Basically, only one of the three of us can be out of the office at a time. I think this policy is completely unnecessary and unfair. The rationale, according to the partners and the office manager (who is the one who pushed for this policy), is that D, M and I are the three people who are first in line to answer the phones (D first, then M, then me). However, the other "paralegal" and our office manager are also responsible for answering the phones ~ the office manager is fourth in line, and the other "paralegal" is last. Then, when I brought that up, I was informed that D, M and I are the only ones subject to the policy because we are the only ones who type dictation (which is true, although the other two are perfectly capable).

I continue to stay with this firm because there aren''t many job opportunities for paralegals in my area, and any that I might find would almost certainly pay less than I''m making now. Also, I wouldn''t get the three weeks of vacation that I get now. (I''m hoping against hope that my vacation time will increase to four weeks once I hit the ten year mark in August of 2009, but I ain''t holding my breath.)

There are days when I enjoy my job, and there are days when I can''t stand it. If I did leave, I''m not entirely sure that I would want to take another position as a paralegal. I''m just not sure that this is the right career for me but, unfortunately, it''s all I know how to do.

If you''ve read this far, THANK YOU!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
15.gif

lindsaylove

Shiny_Rock
Hi Irish - my immediate feeling is that this girl who is exempt from the vacation policy, doesn't do dictation, was "hired on a whim" by a partner with little experience and no cert. is receiving special treatment for a reason.
38.gif

I don't really have any advice for you - this is rough and I'm sorry you're going through this. I'm a paralegal at a large law firm in a big city, and I do know that someone with your qualifications and experience would be treated VERY well where I work. Is it the work itself that is unsatisfying or is it the way you have been treated? If it is the latter, I would encourage you to try to find a position at a larger firm (though I know you said paralegal work is hard to find where you live.)
7.gif
You did say that when you learned that she was making more than you, you did receive a raise. Since the partners were responsive to that perhaps you could talk to them further about the situation? If they are faced with losing you they may shape up.

Good luck, sorry I can't be of more help.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry to hear that, and yes I did read the entire post.
1.gif

In my personal findings, it''s not hard work or late hours that drain me the most at a job. It''s little things that make you feel unappreciated or underappreciated that really start to eat away at you. While I realize that seniority isn''t everything, it''s something. It shows your loyalty to the firm, and assuming you don''t have bad reviews, it means you''re worth keeping around. They should take your seniority and performance into consideration and re-evaluate what type of benefits you''re receiving.

Personally, if you''re not satisfied with your employer or your position, I''d say you should seriously consider a move to something new. It''s never too late to try something else. You''re only 30. You still have some time to move around see what fits you best.

Of course, if you''re enjoying the job and not the atmosphere of the company, you can always try talking to the higher-ups about your concerns. The last thing you want to do is stay somewhere that you''re not appreciate as much as you should be. It really can eat away at you.

Good Luck!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/12/2008 4:17:50 PM
Author: lindsaylove
Hi Irish - my immediate feeling is that this girl who is exempt from the vacation policy, doesn''t do dictation, was ''hired on a whim'' by a partner with little experience and no cert. is receiving special treatment for a reason.
38.gif

I don''t really have any advice for you - this is rough and I''m sorry you''re going through this. I''m a paralegal at a large law firm in a big city, and I do know that someone with your qualifications and experience would be treated VERY well where I work. Is it the work itself that is unsatisfying or is it the way you have been treated? If it is the latter, I would encourage you to try to find a position at a larger firm (though I know you said paralegal work is hard to find where you live.)
7.gif
You did say that when you learned that she was making for than you, you did receive a raise. Since the partners were responsive to that request perhaps you could talk to them further about the situation? If they are faced with losing you they may shape up.

Good luck, sorry I can''t be of more help.
HA! Lindsay, DH and basically the rest of my whole family all think the same thing! LOL!
11.gif
9.gif

Thanks for your reply. It means a lot, especially coming from another paralegal. I know I could be making a good bit more money at a larger firm, but that would involve a pretty long commute every day, and I''m really not sure I''m large firm material. One of the few things I like about my job is that I do work for a small firm, and we all know each other. Also, I really like most of the people I work with. Of course, the partners also know that I would be hard pressed to find a paralegal job paying as much as I make now in this area, and I hesitate to threaten to quit if I don''t already have another job lined up.

I guess, what I''m really wondering is: Am I just experiencing normal job stress, or is this totally out of the ordinary? It''s hard for me to make that call since I''ve been here so long and I started so young. (This is the only law firm I''ve ever worked for.)
33.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/12/2008 4:25:07 PM
Author: elledizzy5
I'm sorry to hear that, and yes I did read the entire post.
1.gif

In my personal findings, it's not hard work or late hours that drain me the most at a job. It's little things that make you feel unappreciated or underappreciated that really start to eat away at you. While I realize that seniority isn't everything, it's something. It shows your loyalty to the firm, and assuming you don't have bad reviews, it means you're worth keeping around. They should take your seniority and performance into consideration and re-evaluate what type of benefits you're receiving.

Personally, if you're not satisfied with your employer or your position, I'd say you should seriously consider a move to something new. It's never too late to try something else. You're only 30. You still have some time to move around see what fits you best.

Of course, if you're enjoying the job and not the atmosphere of the company, you can always try talking to the higher-ups about your concerns. The last thing you want to do is stay somewhere that you're not appreciate as much as you should be. It really can eat away at you.

Good Luck!
Thanks, Elle!
35.gif

I totally agree about being underappreciated being the main thing that bothers you. If it was just hard work and/or long hours, but I was very appreciated by the partners, that would be fine.

In their defense, I did get a generous bonus last year when we won a big litigation case that I worked very hard on. Also, we do get holiday bonuses every year, and those are typically pretty generous too. So it's not like I feel totally unappreciated, but there are days when I wonder if they know how hard it would be to fill my position, ya know? I mean, I don't want to toot my own horn and I realize everybody is replaceable, but there are quite a few aspects of my job that no one else at the firm knows how to do. I did get a not-so-great review from the senior partner (who I normally don't work with at all) last October, but he was basing that review on my billable hours as reflected by our billing software, and that figure was completely wrong. I pointed this out to him, and he said he would definitely look into it, and I haven't heard anything since. Knowing him, that's his little way of saying "I'm sorry, I was wrong."
20.gif

ETA: About being underappreciated . . . I do feel underappreciated in general, but not by the attorney that I work for the most. He's the litigation attorney at our firm, and he also handles family law and criminal law, so I work with him A LOT and always have. He always says "thank you" and always praises me when I've done something that he's happy with. He and I generally have a really good working relationship, and he's pretty easy to get along with and to talk to. I sometimes wish he was a solo practitioner and I just worked for him! LOL!
37.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry
emsad.gif
Here's from my perspective

1. Is it possible that maybe this senior paralegal was there for longer than you OR that she was under different management? In other words, do you have the same senior partners now? If so then maybe the new partners just aren’t aware of it. If not, then maybe these benefits are something she came up with herself and sort of enforced without having anyone tell her she can’t.

2. I agree you should be making more. However, each year what happens is that as the pool of employees to choose from shortens, the incentives rises. One year after I was hired, someone straight out of school such as myself was hired making $10K more. I’m making more than that now but it was still a slap in the face. It all had to do with that person’s negotiation skills and the employment market changing. Once you are in a company, the pay raises are typically few and far in between. As they explained in college for us, if you want a huge jump you almost have to leave your company for it.

3. They probably don’t place that much value. Why? Because you were an awesome employee without it. That’s what happens and it sucks. My best friend is going through the same thing. She belongs to all kinds of professional organizations and adds so much value to the organization but they don’t appreciate it because for them she would have been awesome without all the extra stuff.

5. That sucks about the vacation time. Are the other “paralegal” and the office manager buddies?

I’m sorry you are feeling frustrated. Frustrations at the job are difficult to deal with. It sounds like you are a valued employee though and I wonder if speaking up to someone (maybe HR?) would help implement some more positive changes for you.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 4:43:22 PM
Author: fieryred33143

I''m sorry
emsad.gif
Here''s from my perspective

1. Is it possible that maybe this senior paralegal was there for longer than you OR that she was under different management? In other words, do you have the same senior partners now? If so then maybe the new partners just aren’t aware of it. If not, then maybe these benefits are something she came up with herself and sort of enforced without having anyone tell her she can’t.

2. I agree you should be making more. However, each year what happens is that as the pool of employees to choose from shortens, the incentives rises. One year after I was hired, someone straight out of school such as myself was hired making $10K more. I’m making more than that now but it was still a slap in the face. It all had to do with that person’s negotiation skills and the employment market changing. Once you are in a company, the pay raises are typically few and far in between. As they explained in college for us, if you want a huge jump you almost have to leave your company for it.

3. They probably don’t place that much value. Why? Because you were an awesome employee without it. That’s what happens and it sucks. My best friend is going through the same thing. She belongs to all kinds of professional organizations and adds so much value to the organization but they don’t appreciate it because for them she would have been awesome without all the extra stuff.

5. That sucks about the vacation time. Are the other “paralegal” and the office manager buddies?

I’m sorry you are feeling frustrated. Frustrations at the job are difficult to deal with. It sounds like you are a valued employee though and I wonder if speaking up to someone (maybe HR?) would help implement some more positive changes for you.
I''m guessing HR is probably the office manager, since it''s such a small firm. Am I right? That could making going to "HR" a challenge
1.gif

There has to be SOMEONE with some influence that you can go to? Won''t your favorite partner that you work for pull some strings for you?

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Irishgrrl: I did read the whole post, and I definitely think one of the girls at your work might be giving out some *benefits of her own* moving along..

Here''s the way I see it. There are some things about your job that you aren''t wild about, i.e. vacation time, pay, and some of the responsibilities. I guess it would depend on how your general feeling is toward the work. You wrote at the end of your post that some days you can''t *stand* it. My sense is that being a paralegal is not necessarily your life''s calling, but right now, stable job, with good money.

My sense of this is that the things you write about may be solved if you can talk to the boss, explain how you feel (and if you are contemplating leaving) then bring that up. You have a lot of experience, and I assume they won''t want to lose a valuable employee. And this is only if you feel that you were more or less satisfied with the job before hand. It sounds that the problems you write about can be fixed.

However, you also mention that you aren''t sure you would take another job as a paralegal, which seems to indicate that you might not feel fulfilled in your career. I tend to ask myself, when I am feeling unsure, "is there a dollar amount that would make me happy in this job (if it''s a totally unreasonable number...then I would probably think of shifting career track). But again, this all depends on your financial situation. I think many of us keep a job that is more or less tolerable because at the end of the day, you need money to live.

I would probably start looking into other job opportunities, and see if my dissatisfaction decreases.

Good luck!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 4:50:56 PM
Author: allycat0303
Irishgrrl: I did read the whole post, and I definitely think one of the girls at your work might be giving out some *benefits of her own* moving along..
Had to throw in a quick "LOL" to that before I head out the door for the day!
36.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I''m sorry
emsad.gif

Thanks, FieryRed!
35.gif

1. Unfortunately, no. The senior employee before was not there longer than I have been, and we do have the same group of attorneys now that we did then. I was always led to believe that the perks she had were due to her seniority, which I thought was totally understandable. And, of course, I expected the same treatment when I became the senior employee after she quit.

2. I think you might be right about switching companies being the only way to get a large pay increase, I''m afraid. That does make sense. And, if she had been hired as an experienced paralegal with some credentials (like myself), I wouldn''t have been so bothered that she was making more. (She''s older than me, after all, so she might have had more experience if she''d been working as a paralegal ever since she entered the work force.)

3. This makes all too much sense to me. I guess it''s called being taken for granted.
7.gif

5. You know, they aren''t buddies at all! That''s the weird thing . . . when the other "paralegal" was hired, the office manager couldn''t stand her! They have since made peace I guess, but they are far from buddies! I think the office manager just didn''t want the extra work on her that would happen if more than one of the three of us were on vacation at the same time, and the office manager knows full well that the other "paralegal" is "special" and doesn''t have to pick up the slack when someone is on vacation.
20.gif

Unfortunately, we''re too small of a firm to have an HR department. (Our office manager basically serves that function.) And I have spoken up to the partners about each of these things as they have happened, but nothing has been done.
38.gif

Thanks again for the reply, FieryRed . . . you made some very good points!
21.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/12/2008 4:50:51 PM
Author: elledizzy5

I''m sorry
emsad.gif

I''m guessing HR is probably the office manager, since it''s such a small firm. Am I right? That could making going to ''HR'' a challenge
1.gif

There has to be SOMEONE with some influence that you can go to? Won''t your favorite partner that you work for pull some strings for you?
Bingo, Elle!
5.gif

And, unfortunately, my favorite partner has to get everything approved by the other four partners before anything can change. I know he''s had discussions with them before, but he hasn''t been able to get anywhere. And I don''t know for sure that he doesn''t agree with them anyway.
20.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/12/2008 4:50:56 PM
Author: allycat0303

Here''s the way I see it. There are some things about your job that you aren''t wild about, i.e. vacation time, pay, and some of the responsibilities. I guess it would depend on how your general feeling is toward the work. You wrote at the end of your post that some days you can''t *stand* it. My sense is that being a paralegal is not necessarily your life''s calling, but right now, stable job, with good money.

My sense of this is that the things you write about may be solved if you can talk to the boss, explain how you feel (and if you are contemplating leaving) then bring that up. You have a lot of experience, and I assume they won''t want to lose a valuable employee. And this is only if you feel that you were more or less satisfied with the job before hand. It sounds that the problems you write about can be fixed.

However, you also mention that you aren''t sure you would take another job as a paralegal, which seems to indicate that you might not feel fulfilled in your career. I tend to ask myself, when I am feeling unsure, ''is there a dollar amount that would make me happy in this job (if it''s a totally unreasonable number...then I would probably think of shifting career track). But again, this all depends on your financial situation. I think many of us keep a job that is more or less tolerable because at the end of the day, you need money to live.

I would probably start looking into other job opportunities, and see if my dissatisfaction decreases.

Good luck!
LOL! Allycat, you wouldn''t BELIEVE how many people think the same thing!
9.gif

I think you''re right about keeping my job because it''s more or less tolerable and I need money to live. I think that''s really where I''m at right now. I''ve been looking into other opportunities, but I have yet to find something that I can do, would enjoy, and would pay at least as much as I''m making now. I''m definitely open to suggestions though!
9.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Irishgrrrl,

Wow, great job laying out the arguments; they''re very logical and rational. I hope you don''t mind if I cut to the chase of the counter-argument because it seems like you have the right mindset to appreciate the direct approach:

Date: 8/12/2008 3:49:12 PM
Author:Irishgrrrl
I continue to stay with this firm because there aren''t many job opportunities for paralegals in my area, and any that I might find would almost certainly pay less than I''m making now. Also, I wouldn''t get the three weeks of vacation that I get now. (I''m hoping against hope that my vacation time will increase to four weeks once I hit the ten year mark in August of 2009, but I ain''t holding my breath.)

15.gif

One of the most important metrics for determining whether you are well-compensated in your current job is by comparing your benefits to the industry norm in your local environment. In other words, if you are in a better position than you could actually get elsewhere, that is more relevant to your analysis than comparing yourself to a special case. (If you currently make 80K and if you send out resumes and get offers of 70K, then you are doing pretty well in the compensation department. If your co-worker currently makes 85K and with her lesser qualifications she''d only be able to secure offers at 50K without special treatment, then she is a *very well* compensated bugger. It doesn''t make you a fool working for pennies, it makes you mildly lucky and her majorly lucky. You can be envious, but it would benefit you more to also recognize that an anomaly which does not apply to you is far less reliable than concrete evidence that does apply to you.)

Personally, I would advise making some discrete phone calls to paralegal recruiters in your area or in areas in which you''d be willing to work and talk to them. You never know; sometimes anecdotal evidence and hearsay is out-of-date, but an recruiter who does placements for a living can give you a reliable 411 and based on that you can decide whether it''s worthwhile to put your resumes out there.

Good luck!
f-d-l

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/12/2008 5:21:34 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis
Hi Irishgrrrl,

Wow, great job laying out the arguments; they''re very logical and rational. I hope you don''t mind if I cut to the chase of the counter-argument because it seems like you have the right mindset to appreciate the direct approach:

Date: 8/12/2008 3:49:12 PM
Author:Irishgrrrl

15.gif

One of the most important metrics for determining whether you are well-compensated in your current job is by comparing your benefits to the industry norm in your local environment. In other words, if you are in a better position than you could actually get elsewhere, that is more relevant to your analysis than comparing yourself to a special case. (If you currently make 80K and if you send out resumes and get offers of 70K, then you are doing pretty well in the compensation department. If your co-worker currently makes 85K and with her lesser qualifications she''d only be able to secure offers at 50K without special treatment, then she is a *very well* compensated bugger. It doesn''t make you a fool working for pennies, it makes you mildly lucky and her majorly lucky. You can be envious, but it would benefit you more to also recognize that an anomaly which does not apply to you is far less reliable than concrete evidence that does apply to you.)

Personally, I would advise making some discrete phone calls to paralegal recruiters in your area or in areas in which you''d be willing to work and talk to them. You never know; sometimes anecdotal evidence and hearsay is out-of-date, but an recruiter who does placements for a living can give you a reliable 411 and based on that you can decide whether it''s worthwhile to put your resumes out there.

Good luck!
f-d-l
Fleur~

Thanks for the reply! Your statement that I highlighted above is exactly what I keep telling myself. As much as I think things at my current firm are unfair, I don''t want to "jump out of the pot and into the fire." I do think that most paralegals in my immediate geographical area (and there aren''t many of us) would feel lucky to be making as much as I do. That''s one of the main reasons why I haven''t seriously looked into a paralegal job at another local firm. I could be making much more if I were willing to commute approximately two hours each way to the nearest big city, but I''m just not willing to do that. I hate driving on the interstate (those people are insane!) and I value my limited time with DH too much. (My current commute is about two blocks! LOL!)

BTW, were not talking about ANYWHERE NEAR the $80k mark! LOL! I realize you were just using that as an example, but WOW what would I give to be making that much!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results