shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some help...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Im new here and was wondering if y''all could help me out...my boyfriend and I have been together for almost 3 years and we''ve been talking about getting engaged...He said that I could have anything up to a 2ct. (centerstone). I love diamonds, but I dont want to seem greedy....What I would like is to have somewhere between a 1.5 and a 1.75...but I''m not sure what those look like and if they''re too big...I know I want a solitaire, but I dont know for sure what kind... if anyone could show me what those sizes look like or what setting would look best with them, I would really appreciate it and it would be a huge help!!! (I really like the 4 prong solitaire look....)Thanks!!!
face23.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
What shape diamond are you looking for? I''m assuming a round brilliant? One of those would be gorgeous and huge it that size.

If you''re looking at square shapes, though, you will probably want to go bigger. My 2.2 carat asscher (in my avatar) has the same spread as a 1.5 carat round brilliant, so that''s something to consider.

If you like elongated shapes, ovals, marquises, emerald cuts, they give the appearance of being bigger than squares and even some rounds.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
up to 2cts - lucky girl!!!
31.gif
i say grab a girlfriend/sister/mother/boyfriend (someone who won''t be jealous and whom you trust) and hit the jewelry stores for some play time! have some fun trying on different sizes and shapes until you have a better sense of what you like, and what looks and feels right on your hand.

congrats on your upcoming engagement and enjoy this time!!!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Someone posted a really great chart showing actual sizes for different cuts and carat weights. Hope this helps:
http://images.amazon.com/media/i3d/01/actual-diamond-size.pdf
This shows how squares face up so much smaller than rounds. With a maximum size of 2ct, it probably won''t matter for you (anything will be huge!). What''s your ring size? You can search this board to find various threads asking for pictures of a particular carat weight on a particular ring size. I think there was a recent one asking for pictures of 2ct stones on a 4.5 finger, for example.

If you like 4-prong solitaires, I adore this setting from Whiteflash.com:
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/-Legato--Sleek-Line_1118.htm
It works with a round or princess...I prefer it with princess, but there are a few people on this board who have it with a round, and it looks gorgeous.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all so much for your help...Im looking for a 1.5ct rb centerstone on a 4 prong setting...I would like it to be very glittery....cuz I love it but I also want a 2 ct. eternity band with it...and in the summer I am a size 8 1/2...in the winter a size 8, 7 1/2...(my fingers are weird!!!) but yeah, I would like something dainty as far as the ering goes...does anyone know where they show good handshots of what different sizes look like...I havent found faycullen.com to be helpful....Thanks again!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
That's a beautiful set. With a 1.5 RB, it will be stunning! Try looking at their ACA and Expert Selection for your center stone.

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock

Hey good luck with your search!

Here is a picture of a 1.86 carat on (well, next to) a size 6 finger...it''s the best I can do to help you out cuz my bf still has yet to propose with the actual ring!

IMG_0506small2.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
it really is so hard to gauge sizes and style from online pics. I highly suggest going to a local jeweler and trying on different things. it really will help you get perspective what will look best on you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
May I also add that your boyfriend needs to tell you the price limit and not the carat weight? Does he realize that a high color and clarity 2 ct. stone can easily run over $30,000? And a medium range color and clarity run over $20,000?

I think everyone here will recommend you get a top cut, and then adjust your color and clarity based on the budget. But we''ve seen guys before that have a total false sense of how much diamonds really cost. They may think a 2 ct. stone costs $10,000, and you will not get a good stone for that amount.

I have a 1.63 ct. stone and a 5 1/2 finger.

New Rings 063e.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, if you do a search on here, there have been several threads on solitaire settings. WhiteFlash has some pretty ones, Ritani has a pretty one, etc. I''d find the diamond first and then work on the setting. It''s a lot easier if you buy the setting from the same vendor you buy the diamond from. Find out your budget and we can give you some more specific suggestions to help you begin your search.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
I think I want to stick with a 1.5 because I think 2cts. right now would be a bit much...I have gone to jewelry stores but havent really liked any of them...I dont know what my budget is because its all dependant on a few things...I really love the ritani siolitaire settings with the diamons in the crown..totally beautifyl!!! Thats all I got though...I still have about 6 months from what I''ve heard...thanx for all the advice!!!
face20.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck! And when it comes time to look seriously, we bought a ring diamond and earring diamonds from Good Old Gold and WhiteFlash, and I feel they both have outstanding diamonds at a fair price. Both have great return and upgrade policies as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results