shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some help on what exactly to look for and where

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bennyboy96

Rough_Rock
I''m looking to buy an engagement ring for my GF sometime in May probably. Partially to give plenty of time to be set, sent to me, appraised, etc before I plan to propose in August. Additionally, because it seems as if diamond prices are slowly creeping up and if I can save a few hundred $ by buying in May instead of July, then great. I''ve set a budget of $5K for the ring and I am looking for the best source to buy from and any tips into what I should look for or avoid. Here''s what I''m looking at currently:

Princess cut, over 1 carat...hopefully 1.10-1.24, VG to Ideal cut (I know this is hard to judge for Princess cut), H-I, VS1-S1. I''d like VG-EX polish/Symmetry and some flourescence would be OK. The budget of $5K includes the stone and a platinum cathedral type setting...if I could get a great center stone and add some baguettes or trillions on the sides, I would. Is it possible to get what I''m looking for under my budget?

From where I''ve looked so far, it appears as if I can. I''ve looked at Mondera, BlueNile, Diamonds.com, DirtCheapDiamonds, WhiteFlash, EngagementRingsDirect, and GoodOldGold. I really like the buy back and upgrade policies of DCD, WF, and ERD (I''m waiting on email response from ERD to confirm this policy listed on PriceScope but not on ERD site) and am considering buying from one of these because of these policies. Should I feel more comfortable with a vendor with buyback or upgrade as opposed to one without (Mondera, BN, etc.)??

Other options for where to buy include an Aunt who has an "in" in the NYC Diamond District and a friend who knows a diamond broker who hooked her up with a good deal. Any pros or cons to these options compared to online vendors?

Any advise or direction on what to look for, other possibilities, where to look, and Princess specs to look for (to compare cut) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your help!

bennyboy96

Rough_Rock
forgot to track topic via email....

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Ben,

Sounds like you're being very thorough. I suggest you read the tutorials here, as well as shopping tips from consumers. It sounds like you know there are new Princess Cut standards approaching. This is a great place to get feedback when you acquire particulars on your candidates.

You'll need to look around to find the best bang for your budget, but this is the perfect place.

As for your pros and cons - you have listed a great menu of vendors. If you have the opportunity to shop with your Aunt in the NY DD as well it could be productive to do homework here, make notes on specs and prices, see what's comparable out there 'live' (a live buffet for the eyes can also help you nail down exactly what you like), and then compare your notes on all that you have found to make your decisions.

Paul Slegers has written a nice article on Princess Cuts, found here.

Welcome to PS and... enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results