shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some guidance on the future purchase of this IGI 1.70

Thefifthhorseman

Rough_Rock
Ive been looking for a 1.50 carat (in size... 7.50mm+) or higher, clean to the eye and something i could fall in love with, for about 2 months now. Getting a bit drained, been to quite a few brick and mortars and a couple online sites searching for the right diamond. Ive become a bit overwhelmed with the salesmen at the physical stores, and I've been pushed to shop online. Anyhow, I'm here now and asking for a bit of help. I found this diamond, http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...-j-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-634001 , it is however an IGI graded diamond but for a GREAT price. I understand that it can be graded a little looser and thats just the problem. I don't understand enough to know if this diamond may be worth the investment. I was always told not to trust anything other than an GIA or AGS graded diamond. I don't want to rush this, so I'm taking the time to reach out for some assistance on the matter. I hope that there may be someone out there to aid me in my search for the right diamond. Looking to get engaged soon, hopefully, as soon as I'm capable of settling. This may be why I'm here asking for some advice. What do you think? Thoughts? Opinions? Ill take what i can get at this point.Thank you in advance. -Jay

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Need some guidance on the future purchase of this IGI 1.

Welcome to PS! :wavey:

I put the stone's stats into the HCA calculator that measures light performance and it's a .9 (a diamond HCA score less than 2 will have great light performance) so that's awesome. It will reflect light extremely well so it's worth researching the stone further. James Allen will usually send you additional things like an ASET and Idealscope (shows light reflecting activity) upon request, and for only up to three diamonds. Whiteflash has those reports on their site already if you want to see what they are.

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

What is your color grade preference, i.e., How sensitive are you to color? J, esp graded by IGI, and as can be seen in the video will have a tint to it and yes could lean more toward K-L with a GIA/AGS lab. What setting will you use? Meaning a halo will show the J color more since the smaller stones will most likely be a crisper white color against the J (some ppl like that look and some ppl don't - it's personal preference), or a soliatiaire so the J diamond color isn't competing with other diamond colors in one ring?

What are your desired specs (cut grade, clarity, color, carat weight, assuming a round shape?) incl your budget for what you're looking for? And is your budget for the diamond alone or with a setting? PSers are really good about offering additional diamond suggestions. Or you just want the best cut under $xxx, etc. There are a lot of reputable online vendors out there so maybe PS can narrow down some options for you.

Sorry I bombarded you with these questions but the answers will help us help you.

Thefifthhorseman

Rough_Rock

No worries, this is why i reached out for a hand. My color preference lies with the J mostly because it is a smarter buy for someone like me who doesn't really concern myself with the color as long as it isn't canary yellow. However, my girlfriend and soon to be fiancee doesn't like the yellow but as long as she doesn't really notice it as much it isn't an issue. I believe that what I've been learning is that the faint-medium fluorescence makes it a bit whiter? Im guessing an I would be better to play it safe? not sure which way to approach this. Anyway, her major concerns are it being too cloudy... being able to examine the diamond with her eye and find crystals, carbon or other such inclusions. So eye clean is a must. And after about a month of her arguing with herself on which setting she liked the most, i just decided to choose it myself. I noticed her going back to this Verragio setting: http://www.verragio.com/Verragio-Engagement-Rings/Venetian-Engagement-Rings/VENETIAN-5010R-1
I've even gotten some pictures with it on her hand:
img_0012.jpg
img_0008.jpg
img_0004_0.jpg
img_0005_0.jpg
Overall, my desired specs are as follows: diamond I'm looking for is the round cut.
-The cut is essential for me and is the most important, I'm willing to sacrifice all the other C's for this one. So it has to be Excellent or Ideal.
-The clarity that I've seen at a minimum that has been eye clean was an SI1. However any better would be great to match the price.
-As long as the color isn't yellow or have too much a yellow tint for it to not be able to sit next to the other diamonds in the setting then a J will do just fine. But ideally I'm looking for an I as this is probably the safest color for me to use. Need more of an opinion on this. I've gotten some different advice on this from salesmen I've talked to...some trying to pinch a dime out of me too. But I've been offered a K with fluorescence saying that it will look great with the verragio.
-The carat weight may be a little more important, reason why is that I'm not looking for a 7.40mm 1.73carat specs...i for one want the diamonds weight to be shown in its size, for the most part. But I'm looking for a diamond with 1.50 carats and higher. Want the bang for my buck.

The budget i have to spend for just the diamond is capped at 9k flat, but obviously the lesser the better. I hope this helps with what you need in order to guide me in the right direction. Feeling a bit overwhelmed and a little lost at the moment. Im a perfectionist so its difficult to accept something with imperfections that i don't know too much about. Im not trying to screw this up, i want this to be the first and last time i have to buy an engagement ring. haha thanks again -jay

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock

What do you think of this BG Siganture Blue stone? ...hope the link works. http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.470-j-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104081043008#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/0/

The downside Is they don't sell Veraggio. Now Whiteflash does sell Veraggio if you want to check out their site. The WF diamonds in your parameters are not inhouse so I couldn't look at their ASETs, etc.

Also, Brian's Blue line is hand picked for performance, making sure the fluorescence enhances the diamond color, doesn't make it cloudy, etc. Plus that blue glow under the black light is pretty cool.

ETA: I forgot to say I started my search parameters at 1.45ct because there's a price jump when carat weights hit 1, 1.5, 2 etc. and since weight doesn't always equal spread, I thought it'd be worth a look-see.

Thefifthhorseman

Rough_Rock

So I've been looking at this diamond, used the HCA tool and it came out as an Excellent and definitely scored below a 2. But what makes the brian gavin blue diamond better than lets say, this GIA Excellent cut that is graded as a 2.5 with the HCA http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.50-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-593859
it looks somewhat more eye clean than the brian gavin blue diamond and also has a strong blue fluorescence but doesn't look milky or cloudy. The size LxWxD is a tad bigger but probably not noticeable. But the biggest part is that its almost 1200 cheaper. This is what I'm trying to understand. Im trying to grasp the whole online buying experience and I'm a little weary as to spending 8k on a diamond i haven't seen yet. Any words of wisdom when it comes to this? any way to make me feel any better or what to watch out for? Thank you -jay

Thefifthhorseman

Rough_Rock

Bump

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results