shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some dust please :(

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
So a couple months ago dh got in an accident totaling his car out. We were down to one car. Now this month the steering goes out on the other car. It makes the weirdest screeching noise, and the brakes are not 100%. Every last penny we had (including for food) is going into this repair as dh drives for a living and without the car he has no job. Also we now have no money for presents, to take dh's parents out anywhere during christmas, etc. They are coming for a week for christmas for the first time and I just feel so bad that we're just gonna be sitting around the apartment doing nothing.
7.gif
So I dunno, dust I guess just for things to get better
7.gif
Just seems like if it's not one thing it's another and I'm just feeling so down and depressed right now I could cry in my cubicle
7.gif

Morgie44

Brilliant_Rock
Smurfy- I''m so sorry you two are going through a rough patch! We are sort of too so I feel ya. It seems like once we get close to catching up, something else comes up. Dust that the new year will bring you better luck!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Smurfy, did DH not have insurance to cover the totaled car?

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
His insurance covered the car yes but it was so beat up they just paid it off. we work an hour apart from each other and we are sharing a car. i could take the bus but im already working 11 hours a day just to make ends meet and on top of that id be exhausted because that would be 15 hours out of the house and just hardly time to sleep and eat. it just is really bringing me down
7.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I would hope, given the situation, that your parents would be ok with just spending time with you guys and not needing to be shown around town and wined and dined. Things happen, at least you and DH have each other to get through it.

What does your husband do that requires him to drive his own car for a living?

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Right now he delivers auto transmissions while he is working on getting his alternative teaching license.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Huh, I guess I always assumed jobs like those came with a company truck for the deliveries...

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Nope, he is his own boss basically since he works as an independent contractor therefor has to supply his own vehicle ;-)

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Huh, interesting. Perhaps he should look into something more solid for his next job.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Well like I said, he''s currently getting his alternative teaching license so he can get a job teaching history at a high school :) But we do need this job while he is working on it to pay bills as most internships don''t pay well and also he will be preparing to pass the state exam soon which doesn''t pay anything for studying :)

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know much about cars - but did you check to see if you just need to add power steering fluid? My car developed a weird screetching noise when the wheel was turned and the wheel felt very stiff and difficult to turn. I brought it in for repair fearing the worst and the mechanic added power steering fluid, charged me $4 for the bottle and sent me on my way.

Brakes you should try and replace ASAP - you can usually get away with only replacing pads (which are fairly inexpensive) but once you grind the rotors, you are in it for rather expensive repairs.

Could be worse...one of my direct reports called me sobbing this morning - her DH apparently wasn''t making the payments on the car they both use to travel to work (they work together) and it was repossesssed this morning.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2009 12:55:32 PM
Author: Keepingthefaith21
I don''t know much about cars - but did you check to see if you just need to add power steering fluid? My car developed a weird screetching noise when the wheel was turned and the wheel felt very stiff and difficult to turn. I brought it in for repair fearing the worst and the mechanic added power steering fluid, charged me $4 for the bottle and sent me on my way.

Brakes you should try and replace ASAP - you can usually get away with only replacing pads (which are fairly inexpensive) but once you grind the rotors, you are in it for rather expensive repairs.

Could be worse...one of my direct reports called me sobbing this morning - her DH apparently wasn''t making the payments on the car they both use to travel to work (they work together) and it was repossesssed this morning.

This is harsh, but if my DH did that and kept it from me, I''d probably consider leaving him...walking of course....

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2009 12:57:47 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

This is harsh, but if my DH did that and kept it from me, I''d probably consider leaving him...walking of course....

Wow, that''s incredible. We did out what the problem was. The belt on the car is shot to h*ll....not sure exactly how that relates to the steering
33.gif
but since we have to pay the full deductible regardless, dh just told them to fix everything on the car...might as well get our moneys worth right?

On a side note: I successfully changed the bulbs for the headlights on my own a couple of weeks ago, I almost am considering taking an automotive class (when we can afford it of course) since it seemed so easy!

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock

Yep, I would too. But when it''s a purely professional conversation (i.e. I won''t be in because of X, Y and Z, I can''t put my two cents into the mix). If she was a close fried I''d have a LOT more to say!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh of course! The poor girl was clearly distressed and I imagine it was a pretty awkward conversation to begin with!

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Smurfy,
Has your DH looked into subbing or otherwise working at a HS? With districts firing teachers left and right these days anyone that isn''t Math, Science, or Special Ed certified needs to have something pretty spiffy on their resumes to stand out. I have a ton of applications on my desk from people wanting History teaching jobs and we are not filling even retirements next school year. Is he done with his masters? Can he student teach while driving?

Good luck with your car situation, it does seem like you might have to take the bus as he really has to have a car. Do you have an ipod? I just tune out with my podcasts while on the train, makes it fly by. Good luck!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2009 2:13:34 PM
Author: swimmer
Smurfy,

Has your DH looked into subbing or otherwise working at a HS? With districts firing teachers left and right these days anyone that isn''t Math, Science, or Special Ed certified needs to have something pretty spiffy on their resumes to stand out. I have a ton of applications on my desk from people wanting History teaching jobs and we are not filling even retirements next school year. Is he done with his masters? Can he student teach while driving?

Good luck with your car situation, it does seem like you might have to take the bus as he really has to have a car. Do you have an ipod? I just tune out with my podcasts while on the train, makes it fly by. Good luck!

We are getting the car fixed today so we can continue on the way we have been doing it. Hopefully we can get a second car soon. He has his BS degree in Classical Studies. In colorado you can get your teaching license by taking an exam and completing 30 hours in the classroom and then you have to student teach for 2 years or something like that before you have your license, so he can''t sub yet :-\ would be nice though!
My dad''s been kind of guiding us through it all as he works for the teacher''s union up in Minnesota and so has a general idea of how the process works...just takes time is all....oh and PATIENCE. He also has a minor in history and theatre so i dunno if those will boost his resume or not. He also worked in Sicily for a year on an archeological dig.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Loads of dust for you, Smurfy. I''m sorry everything feels like it''s caving in on you right now.

There are so many fun ways to hole up at home and pass the time with your parents, especially during the holidays. Maybe some fun at-home ideas will cheer you up:

MOVIE MARATHON IN YOUR PJS!
- Go to the library and take out as many holiday movies as they have. (OR, pick a theme and get a bunch of movies to fit that theme) (FREE!)
- Go to the grocery store and pick up a bag of popcorn kernels (~ $1.80) and some Canola oil (~$3) (This will last you for a LONG time!) And if you want, hot cocoa.

BOARD GAMES
- Turn on the all-Christmas radio station
- Break out the board games!

PICNIC IN THE LIVING ROOM
- My mom used to do this all the time. Buy some cheese (block and spreadable), hard salami, crackers, pasta salads if you like, spread out a blanket on the floor, and have a picnic in the living room! (I adored this as a kid, and had no idea that we did it because we didn''t have much money. My mom''s other genius low-budget meal was build-your-own baked potatoes. That''s fun, too!

OTHER IDEAS
- Snowman making contest (I don''t know where you live, so maybe this won''t work!)
- Snowball fight
- Drive to a local neighborhood notorious for having elaborate decorations on the houses. We have a bunch around us, it''s so much fun to drive around and look at all the lights.
- If you live near a botanic garden that''s a great place for fun on the cheap. We live right near one and they have outdoor ice skating, gorgeous decorations, and we could just wander around there for HOURS. (We do, actually!)
- Get one of those enormous puzzles and put it together with your parents.

I really hope your car and financial woes disappear soon. But at least you don''t need a lot of money to have a good time.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for the ideas haven :) A couple of those I had thought of as well. We have probably the largest board game collection of anybody I know so I know we will be playing those :) Thankfully my sister is cooking Christmas dinner so we will be going there for Christmas. there''s a big sledding hill about a block away so I thought about bringing the dog over there for some sledding fun :) Also there is a big ice rink by us. His parents have never been to colorado so I thought maybe we could go for a drive in the mountains? Obviously Midnight mass is free and I''ve always enjoyed that :) I have all the xmas movies lined up in front of the tv. One tradition my family had was that everyone had to do a performance of some sort (read a poem, sing a song) before we could open presents, dh thinks that is weird but maybe I can convince his parents :) I also have a GIANT thing of hot chocolate stashed away that we can use. His dad does enjoy cooking so offered to cook a lot while they are here (and get any ingredients he might need) Im sure it will all work out...I hope I can find 5 bucks for a cheap bottle of wine or 2 for me and his mom to share :)

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2009 1:14:43 PM
Author: Smurfyimproved

I don't know much about cars - but did you check to see if you just need to add power steering fluid? My car developed a weird screetching noise when the wheel was turned and the wheel felt very stiff and difficult to turn. I brought it in for repair fearing the worst and the mechanic added power steering fluid, charged me $4 for the bottle and sent me on my way.

Could be worse...one of my direct reports called me sobbing this morning - her DH apparently wasn't making the payments on the car they both use to travel to work (they work together) and it was repossesssed this morning.

This is harsh, but if my DH did that and kept it from me, I'd probably consider leaving him...walking of course....

Wow, that's incredible. We did out what the problem was. The belt on the car is shot to h*ll....not sure exactly how that relates to the steering
33.gif
but since we have to pay the full deductible regardless, dh just told them to fix everything on the car...might as well get our moneys worth right?

On a side note: I successfully changed the bulbs for the headlights on my own a couple of weeks ago, I almost am considering taking an automotive class (when we can afford it of course) since it seemed so easy!
Smurfy, I'm pretty sure the timing belt has a little bit of a hand in EVERYTHING on the car. Mine was replaced at my 90k check-up. I always call my dad about things that the dealership "surprises" me with, and my dad was adadmant that the timing belt is something you do NOT want to go out.

I'd make sure to ask the people doing to work, when you should have it checked again...

I'm sorry to hear about the problems. I take a bus to and from work every day as well. It's never ideal, but it can definitely be done.
2.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2009 3:17:27 PM
Author: meresal
Date: 12/21/2009 1:14:43 PM

Wow, that''s incredible. We did out what the problem was. The belt on the car is shot to h*ll....not sure exactly how that relates to the steering
33.gif

Smurfy, I''m pretty sure the timing belt has a little bit of a hand in EVERYTHING on the car. Mine was replaced at my 90k check-up. I always call my dad about things that the dealership ''surprises'' me with, and my dad was adadmant that the timing belt is something you do NOT want to go out.

I''d make sure to ask the people doing to work, when you should have it checked again...

I''m sorry to hear about the problems. I take a bus to and from work every day as well. It''s never ideal, but it can definitely be done.
2.gif

I had to take the bus for about 2 years before I could afford to finally get a car and you''re right it''s not ideal but it''s not terrible either. That''s not the part that I mind :) I put in so many hours overtime just trying to keep up with everything and to get here by the time I do I''d have to get up at about 4am and wouldn''t get home til about 8pm....can you imagine?? It almost makes more sense just to pay the extra gas as opposed to me having a major meltdown after a month of that lol

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2009 3:15:27 PM
Thank you so much for the ideas haven :) A couple of those I had thought of as well. We have probably the largest board game collection of anybody I know so I know we will be playing those :) Thankfully my sister is cooking Christmas dinner so we will be going there for Christmas. there''s a big sledding hill about a block away so I thought about bringing the dog over there for some sledding fun :) Also there is a big ice rink by us. His parents have never been to colorado so I thought maybe we could go for a drive in the mountains? Obviously Midnight mass is free and I''ve always enjoyed that :) I have all the xmas movies lined up in front of the tv. One tradition my family had was that everyone had to do a performance of some sort (read a poem, sing a song) before we could open presents, dh thinks that is weird but maybe I can convince his parents :) I also have a GIANT thing of hot chocolate stashed away that we can use. His dad does enjoy cooking so offered to cook a lot while they are here (and get any ingredients he might need) Im sure it will all work out...I hope I can find 5 bucks for a cheap bottle of wine or 2 for me and his mom to share :)
I LOVE that! It reminds me of the movie Dan in Real Life!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Smurfy- I understand what you mean about the travel... the only thing is, it''s not just extra gas money... it also puts alot more miles on the car which means you will have to replace it sooner. Ya know?

This is the reason that I take a bus to work, and don''t drive everyday. My commuter bus is about an hour each way and $4.50 each way. So I don''t save much money in the actual travel re: gas money... but it keeps me from putting over 75 unecessary miles on my car each and every day. My car will be 8 years old in May and I do not want a to buy a new one. This one was a graduation gift and I LOVE not having a car payment. However, whenever my car stops running, I will have to buy a new one... so I am trying to put that off for as long as possible.

It''s just something else to think about. I use the time on the bus to get 2 extra naps a day. 45 minutes on the way to work and 45 on the way home. It actually lets me chill out before going into work and coming home, rather than trying to make my way thru an hour of traffic and arriving all pissed off with the city.
3.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Yeah I see where you''re coming from, I think it is maybe an extra 30 miles round trip a day. Luckily it''s still a new car with only about 40,000 miles on it and we''re hoping dh only has this job a couple more months, he spends weekends job hunting as well.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2009 3:53:12 PM
Yeah I see where you're coming from, I think it is maybe an extra 30 miles round trip a day. Luckily it's still a new car with only about 40,000 miles on it and we're hoping dh only has this job a couple more months, he spends weekends job hunting as well.
You're replacing the timing belt on a car with only 40,000 miles?!?!?!?!?!?!

I would check your warranty and the warranty on all the parts. Just because some things might not be covered on your warranty at the dealership, that doesn't mean that they don't have a manufacturers warranty still. I imagine quite alot of the parts on that car are still under warranty.

My car was only covered to 60,000 miles by my dealership warranty, but my catallitic converter was covered up to 6 years by the manufacturer.

The dealership WILL NOT tell you those things. You have to research them yourself!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Meresal, Smurfy mentioned a deductible in a previous post, so I imagine this might be under warranty. Smurfy, how high is your deductible?

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2009 4:17:11 PM
Meresal, Smurfy mentioned a deductible in a previous post, so I imagine this might be under warranty. Smurfy, how high is your deductible?
I just read back over that. It sounds like they are having their insurance company pay for the repairs.

Re: Insurance Company: Another person that will also NOT tell you that something you are having replaced is actually free.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
We have a 2 year warranty or up to 75,000 miles.
The deductible is 100 bucks. Doesn''t sound like much but that''s almost 2 weeks worth of groceries for us.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Did you buy the car used? Why do you have a deductible on your warranty? The warranty is supposed to be covered when you BUY the car... right?

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Yes it''s a used 2006 grand vitara. When we got it it only had about 30k miles on it and it was around 13,000

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results