shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some advise on setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gemgaga

Rough_Rock
Hello! I am a long time lurker and infrequent (very) poster.

I tried this topic in RT but got no responses. Maybe I''ll have better luck here.

I am considering a new ring and am working via internet with at fancydiamonds.net. These are the stones I am considering.

I would love to hear some input from anyone who has worked with fancydiamonds.net.

I am also interested in some input on settings for these stones. I am looking for something beyond the typical three stone. If there are some suggestions, I would love to see them.

Specs on the Yellow
GIA Cert
0.66 carat
Natural Fancy Intense Yellow
Even
Cushion Modified Brilliant
VS2
5.40 x 4.47 x 2.98

Half Moons
In house grading
0.23 tcw
E VS

YDWHM Project.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Hello Gemgaga

I do like half moons generally, but I''m not loving the set up in your picture I am afraid. I think the half moons are too deep for the cushion, but of course it''s a personal preference.

I think something like these "Cadi" Traps, might look like a better fit.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful yellow diamond! I really like half moons and I personally think it looks nice but maybe they are too big?

Those "Cadi Trapz" Gailey suggested are gorgeous. I would contact them for more info.

Are you getting your ring made by fancydiamonds.net? If not I would give Leon Mege a call as he is known as the king when it comes to matching sides to center stones.

Good luck!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Well, getting one cushion and two half moons and looking for something "beyond the typical three stone" got me confused. Cause there are not many things you can do with these stones in the same piece and end up with something other than a quite classic, three stone design. If your heart is set on these shapes, that really limits your options when it comes to design.

I agree with Gailey about the side stones, but I''d say that they are too wide, not deep
1.gif
Of course, they might not end up too wide for your taste, and there are tricks that can be done with the setting to make those stones appear to have different proportions (by using certain setting techniques and placements of stones in terms of their relative distances from eachother, or using certain angles).

If you want to get something a bit unusual done, maybe setting the sides flush into the setting, doing a semi bezel or a bar setting for the center stone or something of the sort would be a good idea. Or mix it up with the colors of metal, maybe even having a mokume gane shank made in two (or three) colors.

I don''t have much to advise you about these diamonds, cause I strongly believe any gemstone should be seen in person in order for you to be able to judge if they''re nice enough. Nothing beats the human eye when it comes to beauty of gems.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the rest that the half moons are too wide (tall) for the center diamond, giving it the appearance of competing with the center stone rather than highlighting it.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2010 4:22:53 AM
Author: ma re
Well, getting one cushion and two half moons and looking for something ''beyond the typical three stone'' got me confused. Cause there are not many things you can do with these stones in the same piece and end up with something other than a quite classic, three stone design. If your heart is set on these shapes, that really limits your options when it comes to design.

I agree with Gailey about the side stones, but I''d say that they are too wide, not deep
1.gif
Of course, they might not end up too wide for your taste, and there are tricks that can be done with the setting to make those stones appear to have different proportions (by using certain setting techniques and placements of stones in terms of their relative distances from eachother, or using certain angles).

If you want to get something a bit unusual done, maybe setting the sides flush into the setting, doing a semi bezel or a bar setting for the center stone or something of the sort would be a good idea. Or mix it up with the colors of metal, maybe even having a mokume gane shank made in two (or three) colors.

I don''t have much to advise you about these diamonds, cause I strongly believe any gemstone should be seen in person in order for you to be able to judge if they''re nice enough. Nothing beats the human eye when it comes to beauty of gems.
Oh dear, I really shouldn''t post after bed time. Too wide is what I mean, not deep!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I''ll be the dissenter and say that I really like the proportions of those half moons with the cushion center. I don''t think they overpower the center stone at all. As for a setting, I think I''d be tempted to turn it into a 5 stone by putting a small round diamond after the half moon.

gemgaga

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all of you who provided input.

I must admit, I hadn't fully considered the proportions of these HMs with the center stone. They are possibly a bit more bowed than one might traditionally expect to see. Are HM supposed to be half circles? These appear elongated - but I think I like it.

I am going to pull the trigger and see the stones in real life. The slightly larger side stones may work to my advantage since this will be a RHR and my fingers are not long and lovely by any stretch of the imagination. The elongated bow will provide slighlty more finger coverage. (And lets be honest, a total carat weight of 0.23 split between two stones does not a large HM make.)

Wish me luck! I'll let you know. And thanks again for giving me some more to think about.

Edit: I was planning on having fancydiamonds.net set the stones, but your posts have made me reconsider this.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2010 1:01:32 AM
Author: Gailey
Hello Gemgaga

I do like half moons generally, but I''m not loving the set up in your picture I am afraid. I think the half moons are too deep for the cushion, but of course it''s a personal preference.

I think something like these ''Cadi'' Traps, might look like a better fit.
I love these traps! Since you have already decided to move forward with the HMs, I hope you are very pleased with the results
1.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the color of that center diamond on my monitor. It looks like candy!! Hope you love the stones IRL!
21.gif

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
At the sizes of the stones you''ve shown I think that they are just about perfect. Not sure what sort of style you''re after but if you want to downplay the width of the half-moons compared to the center stone AND you like halos, I would suggest using larger diamond in a halo around the center stone and smaller diamonds around the half-moons, giving a larger perceived difference between the center and sides. The attached picture was of a ring in which I used diamonds of the same size and the separation between the center and sides was enough to accentuate the center effectively.

Nancy Final1.jpg

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Michael, who has far more experience than I ever will.
I just had a dealer source an emerald for me, for example, and the size was 7x7, a radiant, so clipped corners.
He sourced a pair of carre cuts for the sides, and they were 3mm each. The bench jeweler recommended this size, so that they would fit correctly in proportion against the 5mm sides of the radiant, (not counting the clipped corners, which makes each side 7mm.)

What you have not provided is the measurements of the sides. Also, as you said, they are small. I think you are wise to see these in real life.
What does the bench jeweler say?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results