shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Some Advice on Colors.. Pics of new house

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Okay.. I am seriously going to bore you to death for a few minutes!! We went to the inspection today and took pictures of the house. Here are the pictures. I am trying to figure out the colors. Here are some of the problems. The Chair rail and the .. shoot can''t remember the name of it. (rail next to the ceiling) Is all natural and stained wood. I really like the wood look.. but it does look a bit dated.

I have to get rid of the wall paper in the rooms... UGH!! and the carpet is going to be replaced with probably laminate. our budget is not going to afford hardwood.

Does anyone have any experience with Olympic paints. I read the Mara''s thread and everyone seems to like BM. But what do you think if these colors... will they be too dark?

I am really torn about the kitchen. I like the cabinets and the floor.... BUT I do not want to do the kitchen/eating area in dark colors.. but I want the house to flow.

The only room I am thinking about not redoing is the guest bath.. but it is a debate.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
here is the front of the house.. The whole house needs some updating and yard work.

frontofhouse.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
We are adding a rail across the front porch and are going to landscape it.

frontofhouse2.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
It has a small foyer.. Looking in from the foyer

foyerview.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
The halls and the bedrooms do not have the chair rail.. and the everything is painted white

hall.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
This is the guest bath/kids bathroom

bath1mirrorwalls.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking about painting the cabinets

Bathroom1cabnet.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
the walls.. I just do not understand wallpaper in the bathroom

bathroom1walls.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
One of the bedrooms.. bye bye border. My daughter wants a sage green color for the walls.

Ashroom.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
My other daughter wants a light lavender

Tarsroom.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
The masterbedrrom is quite big.. she just has a lot of clutter in the house. I was thinkng about doing this is Gentle doe with a cedar chest rail

Mbedrom4.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
MINE I found www.gardenweb.com (then click on the home forums, then decorating I think) to be really helpful in looking at images of people's houses with paint etc. Tons of people talk about paint and post pictures there.

Personally I have a hard time selecting paint colors (and their undertones can be super misleading I have found!) so I am going to go with the RH colors which are made by BM, and there are only a handful of colors to choose from, most of which they use in their catalog so I know I like them. Most painters prefer to use BM or KM so I always feel like those are the best quality.

Anyway, I also really like Ralph Lauren paints for their great color selection and it goes on very nicely as well.

For your foyer I would do a warm color like a sand or something like that, the Chestertown Buff color that Lib has would be great...it could flow into the kitchen with a warmer color there or similar. Sage greens and the warm sands work great together as well.

Have fun!!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
top right corner is gentle doe

gentle doe.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
The cedar chest is the one on the bottom left corner... It is not as red as this picture.. it has more of a brown undertone and is not as light. Looks more cabiney...

cedarchest.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Cool.. thanks Mara

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Dining room

dining1.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Kitchen and Dining aarea

kitchenanddining.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Living room

LIVNING1.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
As I am doing this.. I am realizing how much needs to be done.. ugh

living 3.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I really hate this carpet... and the woman was border crazy...lol

living 4.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
built in bookcases

bookshelves.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
And finally here is the master bath

bath2cabinets.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Back yard

backyardagainagain.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
The kids favorite part

treehoussseeeeeee.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Everything needs to be updated. There is a smaller nedroom that we are going to turn into an office... But it needs to be painted too...

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Mine--Your house looks like it will be fun to watch the transformation. If you are going to do the painting all pretty much at the same time, you might consult some of the paint stores like Sherwin Williams. Sometimes they will come out and do a color consultation with you. It''s a big job to pick colors for nearly every room and the consultants can help you get the "flow" through the house. In my area, they charge for it, but then you get a credit toward the paint. Just an idea!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes and if you are doing the whole house, i''d pay to have it done!!! and get color consultations. i am fine with doing a room or two here but the whole house? nevermind that! we had our house painted when we moved in and it was the best $2k ever spent to not have to hassle with the high ceilings, tee hee.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine, I have to agree with others who say that you may be better off paying someone to paint for you, especially if you want to do the whole house. OTOH, if you really love painting and are waaayyy more Martha Stewart than I am, it might be fun to do one room at a time so you can kind of test colors and paints out first. When we bought the house we currently live in, which is our first, the previous owner had done a bang-up job with the paint already, and I fell in love with the house based on the color scheme and the faux finishes she''d done. I didn''t have to do anything except take down the bunny rabbit border in the nursery/second bedroom and paint over where it used to be! I''m just not a patient person, and I was working 50+ hours a week when we moved in, so I didn''t want to take on any major projects.
Good luck, it will be fun to see how your project unfolds!
35.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Mine,
I love the new house and I''m a freak and think the prospect of painting and all that jazz is FUN!! Please post pics as you go along....would love to see the finished product.
Libby

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone. I had thought about getting someone to paint. But to be honest, I would love to do it myself. I just get this weird satisfaction in seeing a room that I have put together.. U-Know. Besides, I do not work right now, so it is the best time for it to get done. Otherswise, I will be sitting a home all day. Graduation is in less than 2 months and I will need something to do with my time. What better way to spend it then to create?

It took me almost 9 months to pick the colors for my BM gowns... I chanced them about 100X. I am afraid of how many times I am going to change my mind with the colors in my house..LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results