shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Serious Help with Finding an Engagement Ring :)

formyelise

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone!

I've been trolling this forum every now and then and it's time for me to finally ask for some help after reading so many threads regarding how to find and pick the best diamond! I'm in a situation right now with choosing a diamond! Help!

First off, some baseline data points you would need to know in order to help me :)

1. Budget for the diamond is approximately $20K give or take depending on the diamond
2. Cushion Cut Halo Micro-Pave (Harry Winston style), Old Mine diamond
3. Ring size is 4.5 I think
4. Platinum setting

5. Carat is 2.0

Okay, so I've looked at some diamonds that in the J and H color and I say NO to J, I'm very color sensitive and J is too yellow for my liking, therefore, I've settled on H for now. Question: Is there a noticeable difference in H and G? I've read and been told the difference is negligible and not worth paying the difference.

The diamonds I've seen are in the VS2 and VS1 range. Should I spend a bit more to go up to a VVS2 or VVS1? Although most people aren't able to see with the naked eye for the inclusions on the VS2-VS1, is it worth it? Maybe I'm being anal, but when i see the GIA reports and can see the inclusions on the report, i get a bit discouraged. Should I not let this bother me so much?

Finally, some of the diamonds I've seen aren't exactly "squared" even though the length/width is right around 1.05 or slightly under. Should I not be so worried about this because one the halo's are set around the diamond, it will look squared? The diamonds I plan to use will be single cut stones to compliment the Old Mine diamond facets.

Sorry for all the questions, but my jeweler has shown me a couple of nice stones, however, the questions above has put me in dire need of some guidance and support to assist me in my selection process :) My girlfriend has told me I shouldn't put so much emphasis on the VS's and color, she just wants a 2 carat! :) I plan on getting her just that, but having worked around engineers and data driven people, I've become a bit more technical and it's killing me! hahaha.

Thank you in advance for all your responses and suggestions! :razz:

Pete

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, Pete, if you like technical, you should consider Good Old Gold's August Vintage Cushions which are cut to ideal light performance! The only problem is that they cost more than old stones, so there's no way to get 2 cts in a G-H VS. I do think G-H VS is a good range as most of my diamonds are in that range!

Does your girlfriend understand that cushions face up smaller than rounds? Just want to be sure about that since you said she cares about the 2 cts. And are you looking for actual antique stones or antique style stones?

formyelise

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you for your response diamondseeker2006 :) She does understand the cushion limitations, but that's always been her favorite and wouldn't have it any other way :) I am looking for Old Mine Brilliant stones and the top 3 that I've seen are listed below. The first 2 are considered great specs according to my girlfriend, however, I'm more drawn to the 3rd spec because there are fewer inclusions, but it's also $3K more than #1 and $5K more than #2! Am I over analyzing this? Thank you!

1. Shape and Cut Style: Old Mine Brilliant
Measurements: 7.68 x 7.18 x 4.76mm
Carat Weight: 2.01 carat
Color Grade: H
Clarity Grade: VS1
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None
Table: 51%
Depth: 66.3%

2. Shape and Cut Style: Old Mine Brilliant
Measurements: 7.41 x 7.40 x 4.96mm
Clarity Grade: VS2
Table: 57%
Depth: 67.1%

3. Shape and Cut Style: Old Mine Brilliant
Measurements: 7.70 x 7.36 x 5.15mm
Carat Weight: 2.07 carat
Clarity Grade: VVS2
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Good
Table: 46%
Depth: 69.9%

formyelise

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you all so much for your help with the links! Can you answer my 3 questions regarding my concerns if you're not too busy? I would greatly appreciate this as well :)

Pete

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
To answer your questions

1. I personally can't see a difference between a GIA G vs H color but that is me.
2. No, I would not pay for anything higher than a VS1-VS2 quality, you are paying for something that is not visible to the eye.
3. I personally like square and enlongated cushions, and I think both look equally as gorgeous in halo settings :twirl:

formyelise

Rough_Rock
Trade
Okay thank you farmergirl :) Looks like getting input from others besides my jeweler and girlfriend is very helpful as both of them are biased for obvious reasons. hahaha. Below are the prices I've gotten for the 3 aforementioned diamonds. Correct me if I'm wrong, but looks like #1 would be the best choice?

#1: $21,000

#2: $19,000

#3: $23,500

Of course this doesn't include the setting costs yet :rolleyes:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
formyelise|1340125236|3219433 said:
Okay thank you farmergirl :) Looks like getting input from others besides my jeweler and girlfriend is very helpful as both of them are biased for obvious reasons. hahaha. Below are the prices I've gotten for the 3 aforementioned diamonds. Correct me if I'm wrong, but looks like #1 would be the best choice?

#1: $21,000

#2: $19,000

#3: $23,500

Of course this doesn't include the setting costs yet :rolleyes:

Okay, do you have the pictures of these stones? Have you seen them in person?

The first thing that I see is that #3 is larger than #1, so I have no issues with the price difference. The good clarity is a bonus, but I am not sure about "good" for symmetry. No one can really advise you on these without seeing magnified images. There are positives we can mention, but any one of them could look vastly better than the other two.

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
Do not pay more for something you cannot see with the naked eye!

Mine is a AVC cushion, 1.87ct, SI1 clarity, J color... It is brilliant and stunning and I have TRIED to see an inclusion in it, but I simply cannot. I also love the J color, but that's me. I am also having mine set in a pave halo in platinum. Can't wait!!

If I were you, I would go with H-I color (since your girlfriend already told you SHE doesn't care about color so much), and SI1-VS2 clarity, and then get the biggest, and best cut rock you can find that is EYE CLEAN! She will be elated!!! :love:

Inclusions that you can only see under 10-30x microscope will mean NOTHING to her. She wants big and sparkly. Sounds like my kind of girl!

And a 1.05 ratio will look very square.

Good luck!!

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
We really need to see pics and ASETs of the stones to tell you if those three are good. You can't judge fancy varieties by specs alone. However, since I think you've seen these stones in person, I am sure you can decide which one looks the best to you.

I still think you should choose the AVC I posted.

EDIT: This one is featured on YouTube. It's a good video showing larger AVC stones.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8214/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mandasand|1340141926|3219623 said:
We really need to see pics and ASETs of the stones to tell you if those three are good. You can't judge fancy varieties by specs alone. However, since I think you've seen these stones in person, I am sure you can decide which one looks the best to you.

EDIT: This one is featured on YouTube. It's a good video showing larger AVC stones.

This is a beautiful stone!

formyelise

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you for all the suggestions and continued help everyone! I will post pictures up tonight! :wavey:

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
mandasand|1340141926|3219623 said:

This is a beautiful stone!

That is a beautiful stone! But if he is looking for a more "square" shape, maybe this one...
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9205/

In my opinion, the AVC is the most beautiful cushion out there! But I've never seen an Old Mine Brilliant in person. Those look stunning in the photos.

I'm sure you will choose wisely!!

formyelise

Rough_Rock
Trade
As promised, pictures are up. These aren't the greatest pictures, taken with my point and shoot.

The diamond on the left is:

Measurements: 7.41 x 7.40 x 4.96mm
Clarity Grade: VS2
$19,000

The diamond on the right is:
$21,000

IMG_4683.JPG

IMG_4684.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I have a strong preference for the one on the right. But I am not sure we have asked....are these stones graded by GIA or EGL? (I see you mentioned GIA in your first post but I want to be sure.) Prices are high for old stones, I think, and they look warmer than H.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it could just be the pictures but these look like warmer than an H.

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
I also like the diamond on the right. The spread is excellent. What are you thinking??

formyelise

Rough_Rock
Trade
These are GIA per the cert I was given, and yes, they do look a bit warmer in these pictures due to the camera. The more I look at these two, the more I am leaning towards the one on the right. I've looked at Old Mine on GOG and their prices are a bit more probably due to them having a storefront and overhead costs. I've also looked at ERD, but flying out to NYC to view diamonds wouldn't work for me.

Should I wait for more stones to view since these are only a couple that I've seen? Is this worth picking up or just wait for something that will amaze me and not have any hesitation? Thanks!

formyelise

Rough_Rock
Trade
I've attached two additional pictures that I've received from the jeweler.

These pictures are for:
$21,000

1.jpg

2.png

formyelise

Rough_Rock
Trade
Correction on Post #13, the 2 pictures are the same diamond :) This is the VS1-H diamond. Sorry, I haven't figured out if I am able to delete a post or not. :(sad

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
#2! Gorgeous!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, my choice is still the H VS1. It is beautiful and the new pictures helped. I do think ERD has some that would compete with this one, but since you have seen this in person, I can understand going for it! :appl:

formyelise

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you for the suggestions everyone! I haven't made that commitment YET, but I hope soon! I also spoke to my jeweler and as you all know, I listed the price of the #2 VS1-H @ $21K. He states that a deposit of $15 is needed to pay his polisher. What does that mean? Does that mean he will make a profit of $6K off the diamond plus the additional setting cost of the setting? I'm not completely sure of how this business works, but should I be able to make some discount requests for the diamond and setting? Thank you.

formyelise

Rough_Rock
Trade
Re: Need Serious Help with Finding an Engagement Ring

After further thoughts, I'll be passing on this diamond as there is something about it that I'm not excited about. So I've been checking GOG, ERD and some other sites for some new stones. I'm going to try and find a GIA 2.0ct VS1-G for under $25K :) Wish me luck! I'll keep everyone posted on my search for that perfect ring! Thank you so much!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best sources for antique style cushions are ERD, Good Old Gold, and Perry Chen through Leon Mege (artofplatinum.com). You need to call Mark at ERD because he may have access to stones not on his site. His prices are pretty good for stones and settings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results