shape
carat
color
clarity

Need referral to GG familiar with fluxsynthetic spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I am looking for a GIA graduate gemologist who is familiar with the latest flux spinels on the market (example:

http://midtenn-gia-alumni.carrienunes.com/news/08-10_spinel.php

I recently received my ebay spinel and it seems like the real deal and I want to be sure. It's a 7.7mm round with a bright medium red I would classify as medium red with little to no pink. This seems to be the color everybody wants.... I actually like the darker spinel but have given up on finding a round to my liking.

Once I have confirmed the authenticity of the spinel I will be happy to share the name of the ebay vendor, who has been very good in his communication from Thailand. I have had communication issues with a few other vendors who don't seem very motivated or attentive.

Thanks to anyone who has any suggestions. I already know a good local gemologist but spinel is a specialty I don't want to take to just any GG.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it doesn''t have any inclusions, it might be difficult for GG to determine it''s authenticity. I personally would send it to a reputable gemological lab like the GIA, AIGS, or GRS (depending on where you''re located).

Does it have any inclusions? Do you have a loupe?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I agree, sending it to a lab might be the best idea.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Send it to a lab like GIA, AGL, AIGS and the like depending on where you are because you will need specialized equipment and not all GGs have it.

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
OK, will do that if I decide to keep it. thanks:)

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/20/2010 9:27:13 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
If it doesn''t have any inclusions, it might be difficult for GG to determine it''s authenticity. I personally would send it to a reputable gemological lab like the GIA, AIGS, or GRS (depending on where you''re located).

Does it have any inclusions? Do you have a loupe?
The spinel has several inclusions visible under loupe. But I can''t decide if I want to keep it or now anyways.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, are you keeping it? Do you think it''s worth a recut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results