shape
carat
color
clarity

NEED receipe!! Cookie icing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I have no idea what the icing is called or how to make it, or if I can buy it for that matter. My daughter and her friends want to decorate sugar cookies tonight. What is that icing that gets kinda stiff after it ''dries'' I do not want it to be cake smooth or hard as a rock. Anyone know what it is and can you pass along the receipe?

thanks in advance

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you mean Water Icing Mine? The icing that goes on soft and dries to a glossy sort of coating? You could mix some icing sugar ( confectioner's sugar) with water, a little water goes a long way with the icing sugar and use this to coat the cookies. This is known as water icing. The Royal icing is another option but is used more for cakes, normally about a pound of icing sugar whipped with 2 egg whites until stiff peaks form, then a teaspoon of glycerine added to stop if from setting like cement. I think that water icing would work fine for what you need. Get your sugar and water mix to a coating consistency, not too runny and not too thick. Hope this helps.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Cool!! Thanks.. that is exactly what I need.... Now... after putting on the icing, I should have them put on the sprinkles, gumdrops, etc.. before it gets hard? The icing will get hard around them and help them stick.. it this right?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, pop the icing on then add your sprinkles and leave to set for about 10 mins, they don't take long so put your sprinkles and gumdrops on reasonably quickly. Also make sure the cookies are cold or the icing will run off. This icing also takes food colouring well Mine, I don't know if you use it with your kids but it can be fun to use that, also flavourings such as mint or lemon etc, very easy just mix in! Or natural juices if you prefer, replace the water with orange juice or lemon juice etc,

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Yes Yes.. very cool idea about the juice thing. thanks soooo much for the advice... My oldest is having about 6 friends over to spend the night and I am taking them all to see Chronicles of Narnia and then come home, decorate cookies and probably stay awake to till God knows when
19.gif
I thought the cookie idea would help for about uhhhhh 10 minutes....LOL....

Ugh!!! thanks again...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to help Mine! Good thing is the icing cleans up quite easily so hopefully they won''t get in TOO much of a mess
6.gif
face20.gif
Have fun!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
SUCCESS!! We had a blast and now I have all of my cookies decorated!! thanks again!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know this is too late for you Mine, but figured I''d post it anyway in case someone needed it, as I was educating myself this morning on decorating cookies, may try my hand at it this week...

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=channel172011&catid=cat258&navLevel=4
Has information on decorating with Royal Icing and a recipe link for Royal Icing...

http://southernfood.about.com/library/info/blcookia.htm
Has information on descriptions on decorating....I had no idea there were so many different ways!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Mara, those are very useful, I shall print them out and put in my recipe file. I am so glad you all had fun Mine and the icing was a success!
35.gif
36.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/17/2005 11:51:06 AM
Author: Lorelei
Do you mean Water Icing Mine? The icing that goes on soft and dries to a glossy sort of coating?

The recipe you gave, Lorelei, is for what I was raised calling, "a glaze". That was different from a "frosting", which was a lot richer!

Deb :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes it is a handy little trick Deb, but it isn''t as yummy as frosting!!!!! I will remember that you guys call it a glaze, I try to cross reference where I can with US and Brit terms!
9.gif

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the links Mara.

Icing, Glaze... the kids loved it no matter what. I needed something quick and easy too and this was perfect (considering we did not start making cookies till 9:30 last night)

I know the frosting you are talking about deb. My mom used to make it at Christmas. We had fun getting it all over the place.. in our hair, on the floor, on the dog..etc.etc. LOL...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results