shape
carat
color
clarity

Need quick help with S11 diamond - twinning wisps only

skaur

Rough_Rock
I recently bought a gorgeous diamond and IT SPARKLES like crazy. Its 1.26 ct I, VVS2, GIA XXX Ideal, medium blue flo, HCA score 1.3. Its really beautiful and I love it .... EXCEPT it can be very yellow in different lighting more than half the time even though face up its white outside and in stores. Its definitely something you can notice. I took a gamble on it because I've read so much that medium flo and a great cut can help mask a lower color stone.

So I've been looking at another stone and this one comes from Blue Nile. I've read mixed reports about BN and their version of "eye clean" but since I bought the above stone from them and its so pretty and sparkly, I figured I'd give it another whirl and exchange it for another with an F color. But, I need some advice because in order to do that within my budget, I needed to come down in clarity. I know really nothing about SI1's and have heard that you can find an eye clean stone. BN has told me this particular diamond already has a manager's report on file stating the diamond is eye-clean. The inclusions are limited to twinning wisps only and I've heard those are hard to see with the naked eye.

Can someone take a look at this and give your opinion.

F Color
SI1 - Twinning wisps (5)
1.28 Ct
GIA XXX Ideal

Table 56%
Depth 60.8 %
Crown Angle 34.0%
Pavillion Angle 40.8%
Culet None
Medium Faceted
Medium Blue Flo
HCA Score: 0.9

Again - BN said the diamond is eye clean.
Please help!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure what else we can tell you that you don't already know. We would need pictures to tell how good/bad the SI1 is but
twining wisp are usually good ones to have.

Can you ask for pictures? See if they can get you one? If not, it might be worth ordering and taking a look at it.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
tyty333 said:
SI1 is but twining wisp are usually good ones to have.

Second what she said!! I know some who shop for SI2s will look for twinning wisp inclusions coz they are the best kind of inclusion to have. I say have them ship it and take a look at it. It doesn't matter who else says its eye clean.... its your eyes that needs to say it ;)) All the other numbers look great :))

skaur

Rough_Rock
I guess that's the only question I have - is about the twinning wisps. I am not familiar with that type of inlcusion and really haven't found out much about their visibility or color (can they be dark?) and can they be visible if they are underneath the table or better to have them in the pavillion? I just would like some more detail on the chances of visible twinning wisps. Especially since there are 5 on this stone. I don't want a cloudy stone.

Has anyone you know (or you) been able to see them with the naked eye?

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
I know a lot Ps'er has gotten lucky with twinning wisp. It can be a problem if it makes the stone hazy but I would trust BN if they say it is eye clean. They see a lot of stones and their eyes are trained to "see" inclusions so I would take that into consideration. I personally have not been lucky enough to find stones with twinning wisp... eye clean SI1s and SI2s do not stay in the market for very long. But most of my stones are SI1s and SI2s and even an eye clean I1. I like to be able to loupe my inclusions so I can confirm my stones have not been swapped after having whatever work done on my rings..... I am paranoid like that!! :lol: :oops:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My I/SI2 stone has twinning wisps with a few right under the table. I can't see them without a loupe and the inclusions don't make the stone hazy. I have lots of photos posted in SMTB under my name if you'd like to see. Twinning wisps are typically white and not black. As others pointed out, it's hard to say whether this particular stone is eye-clean to your standards without you looking at it.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
If you have the GIA number you can try to search it on other diamond sites to see if they have any images of it. Short of that you could order it and see how it looks in person. It should be easy enough to return unless you live abroad and have to deal with customs.

skaur

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! You've all be so helpful and nice! :)

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
skaur|1440160852|3917141 said:
I recently bought a gorgeous diamond and IT SPARKLES like crazy. Its 1.26 ct I, VVS2, GIA XXX Ideal, medium blue flo, HCA score 1.3. Its really beautiful and I love it .... EXCEPT it can be very yellow in different lighting more than half the time even though face up its white outside and in stores. Its definitely something you can notice. I took a gamble on it because I've read so much that medium flo and a great cut can help mask a lower color stone.
This is quite an interesting observation. It may be a an example of a stone that was over-grade for color at the lab due to the color masking of the blue fluoro. If the true body color is "I" it would never be described as very yellow. However, if the true body color is a grade or two lower, it could appear obviously tinted in certain lights. Usually this problem is a product of strong or very strong fluoro, but even medium can cause overgrading.

The ironic thing is that the common belief is that fluoro helps a stone look whiter. Which can be true. But it if was overgraded in the first place it will only look whiter than the true body color, which is actually lower. And it will only look that way in lighting with lots of intense UV. In normal lighting it will look like its true body color.

More on the technical side here for those who are interested: http://www.acagemlab.com/temp/CowingOvergrading.pdf

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Texas Leaguer|1440187524|3917356 said:
skaur|1440160852|3917141 said:
This is quite an interesting observation. It may be a an example of a stone that was over-grade for color at the lab due to the color masking of the blue fluoro. If the true body color is "I" it would never be described as very yellow. However, if the true body color is a grade or two lower, it could appear obviously tinted in certain lights. Usually this problem is a product of strong or very strong fluoro, but even medium can cause overgrading.

The ironic thing is that the common belief is that fluoro helps a stone look whiter. Which can be true. But it if was overgraded in the first place it will only look whiter than the true body color, which is actually lower. And it will only look that way in lighting with lots of intense UV. In normal lighting it will look like its true body color.

More on the technical side here for those who are interested: http://www.acagemlab.com/temp/CowingOvergrading.pdf
This is an interesting point. I was wondering why OP thought I color was very yellow even with differing eyesights/color perception and all.

skaur

Rough_Rock
I definitely think this stone was overgraded in color. Its such a disappointment because it really is gorgeous.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results