shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinions on Emerald diamond! good choice or keep lookin?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JeffNYC

Rough_Rock
HEY FOLKS! I NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE!
I am looking for the perfect emerald diamond! (within my budget of course)
I am almost ready to throw in the towel! SHOULD I KEEP LOOKING?

Here is one I found online for $9,053. with GIA report.

Carat - 1.50
Color - F
Clarity - VVS2
Length/Width - 1.43
Depth - 69.3%
Table - 72%
Girdle - STK-VTK
Polish - EX
Symmetry - GD
Culet - NONE
Flourescence - NONE (intert)

Are any of these qualities being sacrificed for the price?
table size too big? Girdle? what does that word mean anyway!!?!
I am getting confused and frustrated with all the information out there!! I need to say "when" very soon.
OH! And I am setting the diamond on a plattinum band with trillion sides.
Any opinions on this setting?? I know alot is preferance so LETS TALK ABOUT IT!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome
35.gif

I don't know much about EC's but I can tell you the girdle is the sharp edge of the diamond which runs around it. This one measures slightly thick to very thick which is the variation. I don't know if this is too much of a variation in this shape, or if carat weight might be wasted in the very thick area, but I am sure you will get some good advice. It is a GIA cert which is good and a very high colour and clarity. Who is the vendor? Does he have any pictures he can send you or any other info? The plat setting with trilliant sides sounds FAB to me - a real classic so it gets my vote anyway!

This chart might be helpful. It gives you the best proportions for Emerald and Radiant shapes.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc2.asp

dani13

Ideal_Rock
The table is a bit large, but you really need to see the diamond to make a definitive decision on it. Numbers are great to look at initially, but in my opinion the real test is done with your own eyes...I certainly love the F/VVS2 combo- and with an EC, you need a higher clarity, because you can LITERALLY see right through these diamonds. Although, if you dropped down a bit in clarity- like to a VS1/VS2, which should still be relatively eye-clean, you could probably get more ct wt for your $$....but dont know what your priorities are...

I have an EC, and I definitley recommend going and looking in person at a number of different diamonds (within your specs) to get a good feel of what you like. There is just so much variation- even down to length/width ratios- eg, do you want a longer, thinner EC, or a shorter, fatter one? It can be confusing and frustrating, I know, but that is the best thing you can do for yourself....good luck, and let us know what you decide!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeff,

It could be a nice one, or maybe not. Even by the numbers alone, I would be hesitant.

Carat - 1.50 Nice size
Color - F It's going to look icy white
Clarity - VVS2 I think it's overkill even on an emerald cut. A VS1/2 would be safe. But if you really like it, it's your call.
Length/Width - 1.43 Again, it's a personal preference. This is the "standard" preferred shape. You can play around with the ratio
here.
Depth - 69.3% Somewhat on the deep side, but not too terrible. I'd prefer something around 60% to 65% which I'll explain in a bit.
Table - 72% Too big. It should also be around 60% to 65% which I'll explain in a bit.
Girdle - STK-VTK It is best to stay with a girdle of Medium or Slightly Thick. Best to avoid variations.
Polish - EX Sweet
Symmetry - GD I'd prefer Very Good.
Culet - NONE
Flourescence - NONE (intert)

Okay, here are the explainations.

1. When the EC is around 60% to 65%, it will face up larger to the viewer's eyes. When you have a deep stone near 70%, most of the weight is in the bottom half (pavilon) where nobody will see it. So a stone of 1.5ct with a depth of 60% will measure much larger than a 1.5ct with a depth of 70%.

2. A smaller table than the depth usually means it has a higher crown which translates to FIRE (coloured light dispersion or rainbow lights). Not always, but a safe bet. Also, a small table has a different look than a large table. Large tables tend to look glassy, and sometimes dead looking. A small table captures the reflections of the facets and gives the EC it's deep elegant steps look. It is difficult to explain in words. You'll just have to compare them in person.

3. No matter what, do your best to pick an EC with a high crown height. If you have the info (from a SARIN report or EGL cert), find one with a crown height of 12% and upwards. Otherwise, just look at them in person (the top part above the girdle should be like a tall flat topped mountain).

4. A girdle that is too thick also means that it is size that you will not see. So a stone of 1.5ct with a Medium girdle will measure slightly larger than a 1.5ct with a Very Thick girdle. Avoid Very Thn girdles as it might chip at the corners. Try to stay with a even girdle, not something that varies a lot. For example, don't buy one with Thin to Very Thick girdle.

5. I'd try to go for at least VG polish and symmetry. Sometimes, the symmetry can be visibly off on a Good Symmetry, so it's a safer bet to stick with VG and upwards.

Here is a do-it-yourself cut chart that will help you narrow down the field:
http://www.gemappraisers.com/GradeForm.asp

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results