shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Opinion on Cut Corner Rect.Modified Brilliant

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sandstone

Rough_Rock
What do the Experts think about this stone?

2.00 Carat
Cut cornered Rectangular Modified Brilliant.
VS1
D Color
No Fluorescence
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Good
Measurements 7.32 x 5.89 x 5.47 mm
Proportions
Depth=92.5
Table 66%
Girdle Very Thick
Cutlet None

Thanks for your opinions.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
I am always saying you can''t tell from the numbers, but here''s a case where you can.
92.5% depth????
Way too deep- not a good diamond to buy.

I''d be willing to bet this one does not carry a GIA report- or does it?

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not an expert and have never claimed to be, but are you sure the depth of the diamond is 92.5%? Or is that a typo? If it isn''t a typo, then you definitely don''t want this stone.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Coda,
Depth ratio is calculated by dividing the depth by the width.
In this case, if you divide 5.47 by 5.89 you actually get 92.8% depth percentage- supposedly the report has the depth at92.5%?
Another reason this stone sounds ...out there.....

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Briolette ?!
31.gif
- it nearly is deeper than wide anyway...

'Guess there is a price for anything, but really, - chances are you can find diamonds substantially lighter of the same size (diameter) and probably better looking overall too. This, to begin with. This may have sonded good looking for price and carats alone, but that says little about how big or brilliant the thing actually looks. Except for estate sales, discounts are there for a good reason - whether you (or me) know it or not.

Speaking of size, it didn't take long to find one 1.3-1.4 cts pieces that is actually larger!

For example This and THIS.

Report: GIA
Color: E
Clarity: VS2
Weight: 1.33
Measurements: 7.28-5.80X3.80 <----compared to 7.32 x 5.89 mm for 2cts, this one sounds like a hero!
Depth: 65
Table: 74
Girdle: TN-TK
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Length/Width: 1.26

And:

Report: GIA
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Weight: 1.41
Size: 8.19-5.82-3.75 <------- and this is effectively larger.
Depth %: 64.4
Table %: 67
Symmetry: Good
Polish: Very Good
Girdle: STK
Culet: N
Fluorescence: N

There are a few others that could serve as example - more around 1.5 cts. than 1.3
2.gif
and around 10k than 8k.

It may be that yours comes at about the same price, and then it is up to you and the looks of the stone. Now, I hope D-VS1 comes with a lab report (dunno, GIA, AGS, EGL-US, HRD, something well knows, in line with the very high grades). I did not find D/VS1 with GIA report and a fine cut to give as example, but then... it too 30seconds to search these and there might be more out there. IMO, there is no visual distinction between D-F, VS grades, but perhaps these some significance beyond looks alone to you.

All in all there are enough diamonds out there for you to find a fine one
1.gif

Best of luck!
35.gif

sandstone

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the input. I am new to this. I just recieved the copy of the GIA Report. (Yes there is one)
The depth reads 92.9%.
table 66%
Girdle Very Thick
Culet 0
polish VG
Symmetry Good
VS1
D Color
No Fluorescence

Carat 2.01
Measurements 7.32 x 5.89 x 5.47
you are saying this is to deep.Do you mean the diamond will look smaller?

thanks,

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I believe they are saying that 2ct diamond will actually look like a 1.3 or 1.4 ct diamond ... so make sure you get what you pay for. Sounds like this stone was oddly cut. Maybe it''s beautiful - but if you''re looking for something that LOOKS like 2cts, that''s not it.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Sandstone- have you actually seen this diamond?
How much are they asking- actually, it does not matter how cheap- I would advise against purchasing this diamond based on the depth.

sandstone

Rough_Rock
Yes, I have seen this stone. I saw it side by side with other like cuts not as deep. The deeper stone looked better to me. It seemed to be more sparkly. The asking price is 18K. I believe I will take the advice of everyone who has replyed and skip on this one.
Thanks,
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results