shape
carat
color
clarity

Need of photo/idealscope in addition to sarin/cert for purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kthan

Rough_Rock
Before purchasing a stone, I am generally given a copy of Certificate (GIA or AGS) and a Sarin report (for crown/pavilion height & angle). Sometimes I can get a magnified photo, idealscope image, or brillianscope analysis, etc.

Given the paper data (info from Cert & Sarin), I can estimate the quality of cut, lighting performance, and symmetry, as well as the other 3Cs.
Even if all provided data need to be verified by an independent appraisal, I can elminate other stones that did not meet my preference and narrow down some candidates. However, even then, I have to pick either one or two stones by considering best (guessed) quality given the budget because it would cost a lot if I am sending all (or several) stones to an appraiser for verification and final decision.

Question: if we assume that the given paper data is aproximately accurate (though I have to admit 1-2% variation in Sarin report), how much important to get a copy of magnified image or idealscope image in the selection process for my stone? In other words, how likely a photo or idealscope image of a stone
can reject current tentative evaluation about a stone (based on paper data)? I limit the more information to a maginfied photo/idealscope image because these are relatively easier to get from the vendor than other test results.

Of course, the more (accurate) information provided, the better and easier the selection process would be. But, in most of online purchase cases, if I can access more information on some stones, but not on others (in this case, definitely the stones that had more info would have an edge over others). If I have to pick one or two stones, but none of the stones have any photo/idealscope image, would it still be okay to evaluate the quality(performance) of a stone by the given (paper) data and the analysis based on it (like HCA score, AGA cut grading, ...)?

I want to ask a practically effective strategy to select a stone as a consumer, not as a professional in real world, especially for online purchase which I cannot see a stone. It seems to depend on personal preference (like balancing 4Cs). But, on the other hand, to compare/exhange other''s strategies might be worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results