shape
carat
color
clarity

Need leave-in product for fine & wavy hair to encourage curl...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Summer''s coming and that''s the time of year that I try to give my hair a break from the endless blow drying and straightening/curling. I have long (nearly bra-strap level) color processed, fine, wavy hair. I have long layers that are cut in to encourage curl. In the summer I try to air dry my hair as much as possible. I''m looking for some leave-in product(s) that will help define the wave into curl and control frizz while giving some volume. I''ve found a lot of the products out there for curly hair are good at controlling the frizz but then weigh my hair down so much that it is flat.

In past year''s I''ve used Redken Fresh Curls line and it works but still seems to leave my hair flatter.

Any suggestions?

SarFarSuperstar

Shiny_Rock
I have almost the exact same hair as yours (minus the length and coloring) and I have the same problem. I''ve tried something called Fresh Curls which is a spray and definitely makes my hair curlier but makes it a little crunchy. I''ve gone on a blow dry strike, so basically I just wash and condition my hair every day (which you aren''t supposed to do but whatever) and then I just leave in a shine serum (Garnier Fructis). It doesn''t necessarily encourage curl but it does allow my hair to curl and keeps frizzing to a minimum. In another thread, someone mentioned a cream product that they used on their wavy hair...can''t remember what it was though...ah! I found it- Fresh Hair Cream (Scintillating gave it rave reviews!). https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/beach-wedding-makeup.42751/ Here''s that link. Hope you find something that works for you!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like Aveda''s be curly..also Paul mitchell''s scruch spray..I use and love both interchangably..

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
I use OUIDAD hair products. I have very curly and pretty thick hair. But they have products for all types of curly hair, and use the hair profiler to see what they recommend. It is on the expensive side of hair products, but i LOVE them!!! I have to wear gel in my hair to keep it manageable and looking pretty, and they have the best gel, and their deep conditioner is great for my hair! At least look at their website www.OUIDAD.com

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2006 11:58:01 AM
Author: sunkist
I use OUIDAD hair products. I have very curly and pretty thick hair. But they have products for all types of curly hair, and use the hair profiler to see what they recommend. It is on the expensive side of hair products, but i LOVE them!!! I have to wear gel in my hair to keep it manageable and looking pretty, and they have the best gel, and their deep conditioner is great for my hair! At least look at their website www.OUIDAD.com
I blow my hair out straight about 95% of the time. But when I want to coax my frizzy waves into pretty curls, I use QUIDAD- it''s the best!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
-Mine is untreated - but I have fine curly/wavy hair - in the summer I use Redken "Color Stay".

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
sunkist and chargergrl--which Ouidad gel do you use? Does the gel leave your hair "crunchy" at all?

Which other products from Ouidad are worth the money?

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
sunkist and chargergrl: i *LOVE* ouidad products!!!! i always order their sampoo! excellent!

islanddreams: i use tress-fx and their mousse..very good and ur hair doesn''t look sticky or that its plastered with gel....i use the quench line and am ver happy wth it...the shine serum is very good and the botanical boost is also good.....as u can see i love their product!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Well, I''m going to try the Ouidad products and see how it goes. I normally change my hair products for my "curly" summer ''do. The Ouidad website also had a lot of really good advice on how to handle curly hair. I like the one with the clips so you have more volume on top. That''s always been one of my big issues is my hair would be flat on top then get curly. My order should arrive Monday. So, Monday night I''ll be trying the deep conditioning treatment under a hair bonnet. Sure am glad my husband and boys will be out of the house that night!

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
good luck with that! im sure it''ll turn out great =)

which products did u end up getting??

(they usually offer freebies at the end of ur order and those clips were offered for a while as well for free, not sure if they were still there when u made ur order)

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Here''s what I got. I figured I might as well order the whole group of things and then I can always return within the 30 days if I don''t like something:

Ouidad Deep Treatment 2 ounces was their freebie
Ouidad Botanical Boost 4 ounces 2nd freebie
Ouidad Climate Control Gel
Ouidad Curl Quencher Conditioner
PlayCurl Volumizing Shampoo
PlayCurl Volumizing Mousse. I couldn''t decide between the mousse or the climate control gel so I''m going to try both.
Duckbill Clips (pkg of 12) I know I could these cheaper at Sally''s but then I have to actually get to Sally''s...

icekid

Ideal_Rock
IslandDreams- keep us updated when you start using them. I''ve been looking for some great hair products.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I got my box of Ouidad products on Monday. Monday night I washed my hair with the Playcurl shampoo then put in the deep conditioner. Sat under the bonnet for 20 minutes. Then put in the regular conditioner over the deep conditioner and let the whole thing cool for about 1/2 hour. Then rinsed it out most of the way...and went to bed with wet hair...

Tuesday AM...hair was definitely a lot softer. My color-fried ends seemed much better. But the most amazing thing was my hair was a lot curlier. That really surprised me. It was still fairly frizzy though which I expected because I didn''t put in anything after rinsing out the conditioners. The curls held all day.

Last night, I wet my hair down again...no shampoo or conditioner. After blot-drying with my microfiber towel, I put in the Botanical Boost and then used the Climate Control gel. I did it how Ouidad recommends...one pass over the top right away, then sectioned my hair and did each section. After I was done with the gel, I used the clips on my crown to get more volume. I let it air dry until I went to bed. When I went to bed it wasn''t quite dry but I was too tired to care.

This morning, I got up and wow boy do I have curls...and they are not frizzy. The clips really helped the volume on top too and I think they''d work even better if I got my hair all the way dry before going to bed. Best part was my hair looked really pretty good rolling right out of bed. I spritzed it in a couple of places with the Botanical Boost actually to pull out a little curl but other than that I did nothing to my hair this AM and it looks pretty good. When I take a shower I''m putting on a shower cap so I don''t get my hair wet or even damp...the damp seems to increase the frizz.

So, so far I''m fairly impressed with the Ouidad stuff. It is definitely different than any other curl line I''ve used. I''ll be curious how it works after a few weeks. I''ll keep you posted.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
go to Sally beauty supply and buy the beyond the zone Noodle Head cream. It is in a bright orange bottle!

I have seriously tried everything, and this is the best. High end, low end. It gets rave reviews on Makeupalley as well! :)

It works even better if you use Sebastian potion 9 before hand. I get soft shirley temple ringlets, and tons of compliments and "I love your hair"

What I do is apply the potion 9 when it is really wet and comb through. Then I take a medium glob of the Noodle head and run it through and scrunch.

it may take a couple of tries because if you use too much, it will look a little greasy, and not enough, you will have some frizz.

It smells like coconuts too, yum!

140722.jpg

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
ID: glad to hear u had a good experience with the products! i absolutely love them and can''t imagine leaving my hair curly without them...glad to hear u got positive results almost instantly..the more u use it, the better the curls get! good luck!
36.gif

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2006 8:58:11 AM
Author: IslandDreams
So, so far I''m fairly impressed with the Ouidad stuff. It is definitely different than any other curl line I''ve used. I''ll be curious how it works after a few weeks. I''ll keep you posted.

Island, you''re using Ouidad?! Do you still like it? I use the curl quencher shampoo, conditioner, and gel. I love these products. The gel is the best I''ve ever used. My hair does feel dry to me lately and I haven''t been keeping up with my deep conditioning. I need to be better about that and see if it helps. Also I''m due for my hair appointment next week to get my hair trimmed up. I''m so glad that it''s working for you! It sounds like it''s working very well
36.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Sunkist--Yes, I''m still liking the Ouidad products. I love the deep conditioner and the shampoo and regular conditioner. I''m having a bit of trouble with the Climate Control Gel. I put it in the recommended way--smoothing over the top after blot drying, then dividing into sections and putting some on each section. Problem for me is that my hair feels "crispy" after the gel dries. It kind of separates my hair and dries it in little hard chunks. I''m thinking I might be putting too much on so I keep backing off each time and it is getting better.

Other issue is what am I supposed to do the 2nd or 3rd morning after washing my hair. If I was my hair on Monday, I normally wouldn''t wash it again until Wednesday. But it looks terrible on Tuesday morning when I get up. Do I rewet it all?

I love how my hair has more volume and less frizz. I think it''s only going to get better with time,

I''d love to get a Ouidad cut but I''m nowhere close to one of the salons that do it.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Ya, I''m no where near a Ouidad cut salon either. I have a girl with curly hair cut my hair now and she does a pretty good job. About the crunchiness of your hair after it dries, you can get rid of this by letting it fully dry and then smoothing your hands over your whole head, so your crushing your hair all in one swoop from top to bottom and then the cruchiness should be gone! If it''s not, then you''re probably using too much gel or perhaps you need to try another gel, TressFX or one of the volume lines?

About 2nd and 3rd days. I used to wash every 3 days. Then I just got sick of how narly my hair was getting... So now I wash every other day. My hair is not as pretty as it was the first day, but it''s still good and normally I do nothing but straighten it out with my fingers, or maybe spray in conditioner, if it''s really bad I''ll put in a dob of regular conditioner, or more gel. I think Ouidad tells you that you can go without wetting it the 2/3rd day or you can wet it and just put in conditioner and then gel it. Whatever works for you. Personally I just try to conserve on the gel and not have to use it every day! I am using the Deep Conditioner more though, and my hair is feeling better
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results