shape
carat
color
clarity

Need ideas on how to set this aqua asscher, please.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I need some ideas for ring settings for this sleepy aqua asscher. It''s 7.1 x 7.1 mms. It is the second aqua on the linked page, the one from Brazil.

I want to emphasize the "sleepy" in it but am open to all ideas.

Are there any stock settings that it would fit, LOGR, jewelryhoo, etc.

What a peaceful stone. It reminds me of an overcast day.

Thanks all.

Oh, I tend to prefer simple settings with asschers. I love Lauren''s bezel setting but don''t want to spend lots of money on this setting, either.

http://torraca.net/gems/gems.php?new=090910

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Pretty! I would send it to Julia Kay Taylor (on Etsy) and have her bezel it in Argentium silver in the style of Lauren's settings.

ETA: But I'm a little biased since I'm doing the same with a blue zircon (not an asscher, but same idea).

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Julia is doing an aquamarine asscher for me right now.
I really love her designs.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Oh, forgot to mention...a basic Argentium silver bezel setting from Julia should run about $170. Not too bad IMO.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I do love Julia's work. The Lotus is too frilly for me and a bit too expensive but I do appreciate your putting that out there for me.

Thanks all. :)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
A bezel would do this stone good, as it would give it some more contrast (the color is very light) and sparkle. Of course that you can''t make it as lively as a diamond, but you can help bring out some more scintillation to it. Now, I''d seriously consider having some satin (or similar) finish on that white metal, so that you bring out both, sparkle and color, as much as possible with this stone. And some tiny diamond accents like a tapered baguette flush set in a shank on each side wouldn''t hurt
2.gif

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Sonomacounty! I''m so happy you got that stone, I was looking at it myself, as it looked beautiful and unique. Congratulations! Have you gotten it yet, how is it in person?

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Ma Re: A satin finish as because one with high polish would overpower this sleepy stone? I could see that. That sort of crossed my mind. I love satin finishes, also.

MT: Ah, great minds admire the same stone. Yes, it came today. It's a peaceful look is the best way to describe it. It's not brilliant or with much scintillation but that is o.k. The color is nice. It reminds me of an overcast day. I really like it. :)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/17/2009 3:56:13 AM
Author: sonomacounty

Ma Re: A satin finish as because one with high polish would overpower this sleepy stone? I could see that. That sort of crossed my mind. I love satin finishes, also.
Well a polished finish might work if you opt for a more contemporary and "funky" (for the lack of a better word) design, as it would make a strong contrast with the stone. But in that case, since the stone is sleepy, you might start noticing too much of those reflections in the metal, which would (to a degree) distract from the stone. But if you "dull down" the finish and make it less obvious, you''ll bring out the sparkle of the stone, and make it seem more lively than it really is. The same reason why those 0.0000000038 ct round diamonds (
9.gif
), when flush set, usually sit in a satin/brushed/matte finished metal - to bring out the sparkle eventhough they''re very small.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Sonoma-what a lovely stone :) I really like the idea of the metal being satin finished! Can''t wait to see it set.

Can I ask where you can get to that page in your link from PT website??? I can''t find it anywhere!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lovely stone! I think it would look fabulous in a bezel, but that lotus for an asscher is pretty cool, too.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Stepcut: Thank you. You need to be on Peter Torraca's e-mail list to get the new stones sent to you. Send him a note and ask him to add you.

Thanks Lauren - I loveee your setting for asschers. You designed it yourself? Fantastic. Can't do the Lotus, though; it's so not me.

Ma Re -

-- if you "dull down" the finish and make it less obvious, you'll bring out the sparkle of the stone, and make it seem more lively than it really is. ---

Wonderful, wonderful info. Thanks so much. Now, I adore satin/brushed finishes, so I'll do that. Note, though, and lets ponder - that I don't know if I want to bring out the sparkle in this stone. I picked a sleepy stone because I wanted that look. I have another cushion aqua that is quite brilliant; I wanted this one to have a soft, fog-like look and it does. I do think that a high polish metal with this stone would look silly. So, thanks for reminding me, Mr. Ma Re - brushed it will be.

-- The same reason why those 0.0000000038 ct round diamonds (), when flush set, usually sit in a satin/brushed/matte finished metal - to bring out the sparkle eventhough they're very small ---

Ha, ha - this is why I love brushed finishes.

Thanks again, all.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Sonoma, if you''re still considering Julia, she does a beautiful brushed finish. MakingTheGrade had it done for her spinel pendant.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Sonoma - thanks so much! The design for my original engagement ring came straight out of the brain of my husband, and I had little input into the actual process since he wanted to keep the ring a surprise. I had seen his CADs for what eventually became my design and fell in love, though!

I just posted this in another thread - http://www.engagement-ring-mountings.com/ring_settings_info_1567.htm#more_pictures

It''s the only stock Asscher bezel I seem to have been able to find. I bet they could customize it with a thinner shank. I like the idea of playing up the sleepiness, and I think that with a brushed finish might really rock.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too wonder if a satin finish might play up the silkness of the stone...it''s a good thought. At first, I thought you were getting the tsavorite. You did say the 2nd stone...
11.gif
9.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is the stone, btw, for those that don''t want to click.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, something weird happened. Here it is.

SonomasAqua.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
On the hand.

SonomasAqua1.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I''m guessing that she meant 2nd Aqua...and it looks very attractive! Congrats.
9.gif

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lauren. Your husband basically designed that - WOW !! And, great to have a guy who takes an interest in these things !

Thanks for the link, also. Now, I'm wondering if a bezel is really a stock setting, as it has to be made for each stone. That is a kind of cool setting but I don't think my soft blue could carry it. I, more so, could see something like your cinnamon tourmaline working in it.

Little Blue will go off to Julia sometime after New Year. (As I'm finally getting my red spinel set right now and have to space the bills a bit.) I'll surely ask her to do a brushed setting. Would you mind if I sent her a link to your asscher setting, at that time?

---

Thanks Chrono, Stone Hunter (great name, btw.)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Helping out.
11.gif

ETA, Lauren got it to work.

186brazilaqua.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2009 4:43:04 PM
Author: sonomacounty
Thanks Lauren. Your husband basically designed that - WOW !! And, great to have a guy who takes an interest in these things !

Thanks for the link, also. Now, I'm wondering if a bezel is really a stock setting, as it has to be made for each stone. That is a kind of cool setting but I don't think my soft blue could carry it. I, more so, could see something like your cinnamon tourmaline working in it.

Little Blue will go off to Julia sometime after New Year. (As I'm finally getting my red spinel set right now and have to space the bills a bit.) I'll surely ask her to do a brushed setting. Would you mind if I sent her a link to your asscher setting, at that time?

---

Thanks Chrono, Stone Hunter (great name, btw.)
Of course! - oh, and send her a link to my Scapolite, too!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-scapolite-is-coming-home-on-saturday-woooo.114733/

I actually prefer the single bezel profile ala Neatfreak, since I can see so much of my stone's belly. I think for the next gemstone Asscher, I'll go with one incredibly similar to Mochi's and KMCI's, with that nice, flat bezel surround.

I might actually send her a pic of my own ring, and my Grossular Asscher to see how much she might charge for it in yellow gold!
1.gif

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lauren ! ! First chance I had to get back to you. Oh, I meant to put this is the aqua asscher question I posted. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results