shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with Settings- Picture heavy! My new BB Tourmaline!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Hello everyone!

I just bought a beautiful tourmaline off of Barry. It is 8.6mm and is a peachy/pink color. Attached are two photos. The pink was taken under Reveal lighting and the other picture under standard incandescent light- Barry took them for me to see the color change/ difference. I''m trying to decide on settings.

First off would you recommend setting in WG or RG? And which setting do you like or neither?

PeachTourIncan.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
More pink color
2.gif

PinktourrevelSar.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking bout this in Rose Gold...opinions anyone?

option1sarahtourbb.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
With a bezel setting in WG?

option2sarahtourbb.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/8/2009 5:36:16 PM
Author: Sarahbear621
I was thinking bout this in Rose Gold...opinions anyone?
love the setting, I have this in yellow gold, and I know TL has it in Rose Gold... let me find a picture for you to decide... BTW - great stone

just to give you an idea in yellow gold.. maybe someone can photoshop the stone in?

tourmalinebezellogrdt%20004.jpg

and TL's ring in rose gold... hope she doesn't mind, to give you an idea of the rose color

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I just like the split shank but I''m not sure if this would really do anything to showcase my stone. I always thought this setting did great with really bright color stones...

option3sarahtourbb.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ok.. guess I can''t attached to my "already replied" post... anyway here is TL''s rose gold I cropped so you can see the color... Hope TL doesn''t mind.

tlrosegoldlogr0909.JPG

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Thanks D&T. I think my stone would look good in the rose gold when it is more pink- but if it is more of that peach color I didn''t know if it would clash? I have fair skin - I''m fairly close to translucent- so I''m not worrying about it blending it with my skin.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oooh that''s a toughy- I think maybe more white gold then? as that rose color might clash with the peachyness of the stone, just my thoughts though. I have a mali garnet that I thought would work with yellow gold because it is essentially yellow with green in it, but it sure had a clash of color, so I went with wg. But your stone is I think a nice size that could stand on its own unless you like the halo look for it?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I do LOVE halo''s but my last few items I have had made have halos''s so i wanted to do something a little different this time round. Also just because of the size I really wanted the gem to stand alone I think. I guess when it gets here I should compare it to white gold and rose gold to see if it clashes...though now i"m looking at your yellow gold and that is really pretty too....
3.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/8/2009 6:15:50 PM
I do LOVE halo's but my last few items I have had made have halos's so i wanted to do something a little different this time round. Also just because of the size I really wanted the gem to stand alone I think. I guess when it gets here I should compare it to white gold and rose gold to see if it clashes...though now i'm looking at your yellow gold and that is really pretty too....
3.gif
I think it might get "lost" in the rose gold since the rose is very much the look of your stone (coppery). In this case, I think yellow gold would compliment it better and make the color "pop" more. JMO.

HTH!
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/8/2009 5:45:17 PM
Author: D&T
ok.. guess I can''t attached to my ''already replied'' post... anyway here is TL''s rose gold I cropped so you can see the color... Hope TL doesn''t mind.
No way!! I''m glad my photos can be used to help people out.
2.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have a tourmaline from Barry that is a similar color. I also own that setting in rose gold. I didn''t like the match - the tourmaline just got lost in rose gold .. it also didn''t look right in the white gold version of the setting that I have.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi sarah
for fwiw, this looks like almost exactly the same as my tourm from Barry, recently set by Julia Taylor - the size is also pretty much the same.
My setting is in sterling, but the bezel is 22yg YG - I do think YG is the best complement for these stones, preferably 18k if you can swing it..

pics here: link

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If you''d like to keep that color shift as obvious as possible I''d go with WG, which is also what I recommend for most stones of light color, so that you don''t overwhelm it with the metal. But I guess you''ll know better once you actually see the stone for yourself.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
I would say the first setting, in white gold.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one is a toughie. If you want to see a stronger colour shift, then go for white gold. However, the contrast will also highlight the brown tones that I see in Barry’s pictures. Yellow gold will down play the undesirable undertone but will also lessen the colour shift.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 7:53:35 AM
Author: Chrono
This one is a toughie. If you want to see a stronger colour shift, then go for white gold. However, the contrast will also highlight the brown tones that I see in Barry’s pictures. Yellow gold will down play the undesirable undertone but will also lessen the colour shift.
So chrono you would completely rule out RG?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lovely tourmaline!

Sarah, have you seen the stone in person yet? Just wondering, since I have a peachy pink tourmaline from Barry that photographed somewhat similar to yours, and I ended up putting it in that setting in white gold. I''d wait to decide on metal colours until you can compare it to different metal colours in person.

original.aspx

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I vote for the first setting in white gold.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
It''s very pretty, I just love Barry''s cut..

Kashmira

Shiny_Rock
It''s beautiful- I LOVE it!!!!! I think that it will look best in WG.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2009 8:29:48 AM

Date: 9/9/2009 7:53:35 AM
Author: Chrono
So chrono you would completely rule out RG?
Yes, I think the colour will blend in too well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results