shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with my setting!

I’ll be the voice of dissent - the Sholdt profile is just not right if you look at the rings she’s indicated she prefers.
There’s a definite retro cigar band vibe going in with them and it’s edgy and quite cool. To me the curved Sholdt profile looks dated and the shoulders being filled in are so heavy looking.
Definitely get as much of a comfort fit inside the ring tho - I have a flat profile for the inside of my wedding band and have actually had the skin be broken when I’ve caught my ering and it’s dug in. And I don’t have a large stone!
A thin diamond band would look gorgeous with that as well - reverse of this which I think is fantastic C9551697-E8D6-4286-9950-322994658345.jpeg

I agree, the wide cigar band shank could make for a very cool-girl look! In concept, I don’t find it dated at all — fashion is cyclical, and chunky e-rings feel fresh again to a certain style-conscious set. That said, I’m not mad about the plonked on peg heads in either of the setting options OP posted, for both aesthetic and safety reasons (as others pointed out).

I googled around, positive I had seen well-executed versions of this idea in the recent past. But sadly, I couldn’t find a damn thing outside of the Blue Nile setting you posted (or very similar)! So I guess that leads me to wonder… perhaps she’s not necessarily married to some of the less, uh…elegant…aspects of these settings (peg head, “bridge to nowhere” cathedral, blob prongs)? She just LOVES the cigar band look enough to ignore/forgive the not-so-hot parts. They might seem like a necessary evil due to the dearth of readily available alternatives.

So for that reason, I’ll second the suggestion to go custom on this one. A designer may be able to figure out how to better integrate the head, and you could ensure both her aesthetic preferences (precise mm width, no taper) and comfort (domed/beveled interior) are addressed.

MinnBear

Rough_Rock
If you go with a hanging cathedral, I’d keep the basket and prongs the same color as the band. I think that minimizes the appearance of the gap. Part of what seems off to me about the BN photo, is the metal contrast.

And people wore 4 and 5mm rings with thin wedding bands or wide wedding bands with thin engagement rings for a long time. Unless her finger bone is short from the knuckle to the first finger joint, a thin flat band will fit. Me, I have very short fingers so I can’t mange a 5 mm ring with anything else on the same finger.

off topic but Caolsen do you have a thread on your profile photo ring? :kiss2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
As someone from a country where 4 to 6 mm wide wedding bands are the norm, I want to emphasize what’s said above about comfort. It’s really very important to have a wide band that’s wearable in all seasons. Good luck on finding the one!

Excelling point
I remember the lady at the mall jewler telling me she sold a barrel ring as a wedding ring and the bride said it was the most comfortable ring she had ever worn

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
This could be 5mm wide and look the same from the top view as the ones you posted. You could make the trellis/bridge white gold and the shank yellow gold. It pulls it all together a bit more so the center is attached to the shank. I like the flow a lot better then the BN ones.
0A822D66-DE25-409A-A143-A44593D2B5D0.jpeg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This could be 5mm wide and look the same from the top view as the ones you posted. You could make the trellis/bridge white gold and the shank yellow gold. It pulls it all together a bit more so the center is attached to the shank. I like the flow a lot better then the BN ones.
0A822D66-DE25-409A-A143-A44593D2B5D0.jpeg

This. 100%

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
Super delicate engagement rings have been around for a while now. Chunky gold ones are starting to trend again, along with androgynous looks. I think your fiancé is ahead of the curve. I’m glad you are sticking to what she wants.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After months and months of research and years of saving, I just purchased this diamond last week!:

I'm so excited to get it on her hand, but I need some help with my setting. She is a big fan of both of these settings:
1643897306416.png
1643897496113.png
Shown with 3ct center.

1643897383259.png
Shown with a 1ct center.
1643897636544.png
In real life, not sure of the stone size.

She wants a wide band setting and these two are her favorites. I prefer the look of the second one, since it doesn't taper down as much at the bottom, but I'm not sure how I feel about the cathedral look. It's also the only one that I can get my hands on at a local jeweler. The other one I would have to custom order from blue nile, and it comes unsized without the prongs. What are everyone's thoughts on these two?

Also, the important question for me right now, since I'm fairly decided on the second setting is how many prongs do I go with? Does 4 make it look too squared-off? Will 6 look too busy with a 3ct and take away from the beauty of the diamond? I have it insured and I'm really not too worried about damage. She doesn't do anything really physical for work.

Thank you in advance for the help!

I always stayed away from this style as I was afraid something would catch under that bar on the sides (clothes, etc.) I like the wide but maybe something without that opening on sides where it could catch

TXwidow

Shiny_Rock
Can we assume she is NOT interested in a tension setting?

Steven Kretchmer makes beautiful wide band tension settings.​

jrb517

Rough_Rock
@cmsmarks Thank you for the suggestion! She has seen the tension settings and it isn't her cup of tea...

IMG_8770.jpg

Thank you everybody for the input so far! I was able to find a real picture of a forum member's Blue Nile setting from a side profile with a 2.0 ct diamond. After looking at it, I'm agreeing with the sentiment on here, that the 3ct will look like a golf ball on a tee, and not really secure with the head just perched on top of it. As of now, I am favoring the second setting I posted, and today I will be meeting with my jeweler on how we can make it better, if possible. I'm going to ask about bringing the cathedrals down a bit to make them less "vertical", keeping the 5mm width of the Blue Nile setting, and if it is possible to attach the cathedrals to the head for stability. I'd like to also see the setting in person with a 3ct diamond on it to get a better idea of how it will look. I will let you all know what we come up with, and definitely upload pictures when it comes in!

Thank you all again!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
If she's a wedding planner and has seen everything, we are trying to change her mind?
I just inherited my mother's remade in the 80s engagement ring and it's much like the cathedral you posted. It was beautiful on her in her 90s and I like it very much.
Wishing you both many happy years.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cmsmarks Thank you for the suggestion! She has seen the tension settings and it isn't her cup of tea...

IMG_8770.jpg

Thank you everybody for the input so far! I was able to find a real picture of a forum member's Blue Nile setting from a side profile with a 2.0 ct diamond. After looking at it, I'm agreeing with the sentiment on here, that the 3ct will look like a golf ball on a tee, and not really secure with the head just perched on top of it. As of now, I am favoring the second setting I posted, and today I will be meeting with my jeweler on how we can make it better, if possible. I'm going to ask about bringing the cathedrals down a bit to make them less "vertical", keeping the 5mm width of the Blue Nile setting, and if it is possible to attach the cathedrals to the head for stability. I'd like to also see the setting in person with a 3ct diamond on it to get a better idea of how it will look. I will let you all know what we come up with, and definitely upload pictures when it comes in!

Thank you all again!
I was reminded of this thread as I searched for “wide pipe cut gold bands” tonight so wondered how your design was going @jrb517. I hope you’ll come back and show us CADs or the finished ring. I bet it’ll be stunning.

kellie gosselin

Rough_Rock
@Cerulean Thanks for the suggestion! She actually prefers no taper, believe it or not, and yes she does have long fingers. From what I gather, she wants to stack it with a thin channel set wedding band, or wear the band on another finger. At least we can shop for that one together!

I prefer the look of the bands I posted, simply for their squared edges and flat face, as opposed to the curved look. I think the chunkiness and wide band only works for her if it has squared off edges. This was the main reason she didn't like the James Allen 3.8mm band.

Go with what she wants, you can always change the band if she decides it's not really what she likes after all. I congrat you on sticking to what she likes.. popular or not!

jrb517

Rough_Rock
I showed my girlfriend a few similar settings (she brought up the conversation as she often does :lol-2:, so I'm sure she still doesn't expect anything) and she genuinely liked the second photo. I went to the jeweler and talked about my concerns with the design and here's how the conversation went:

Will this setting be too wide for the diamond? The setting is 6mm at the widest point, while the diamond is about 9.2mm in diameter. He showed me the setting with a 3ct moissanite and it didn't seem to diminish the size of the stone to me at all. He said on a 4.75 size finger, the stone will look it's size regardless of the setting.

Is there an integrity concern with the head being held on by a peg, or the hanging cathedrals getting caught? He emphasized that a platinum head has an incredibly strong bond to the ring, and it would take a very large amount of force to come off. Seeing as though she doesn't do anything physically demanding for work, he didn't seem to be concerned, so neither am I. As for the cathedrals, the setting is designed for minimal clearance between the prongs for things to get caught, and welding them to the prongs would really look unsightly.

After my discussion with him, I decided to go with the setting she liked best. This was about a month ago, and I'm finally picking up the ring TOMORROW! I will post a picture of the finished product when it's actually on her finger, to avoid her seeing it pop up on her google image search for what she wants ;)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results