shape
carat
color
clarity

need help with gross topic - cat poop dingleberries

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,

I have a lovely and sweet cat that we just adore...and a minor issue.

She is hairless, so she doesn''t have any gaurd hairs around her butt area for the dingleberries to stick to. She sometimes has small pieces of poop near her butt area that can get on the sofa or floor, or where ever she happens to sit down after she uses her box.

She is pretty good about giving herself baths in that area, but often doesn''t get to it right away after doing her business. Besides wiping her butt after she uses the box and cleaning up after the occasional spots she gets on things around the house is there anything else we can do?

Is there a way to encourage her to bathe herself after she uses the box? So far I''ve just used praise such as "good girl, good girl" whenever I see her bathing herself in that area LOL.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don''t have any advise, but I just had to laugh at your "dingleberries" problem
9.gif
I actually have bit of an opposite issue with my long hair kitty who tends to get "stuff" stuck on his butt hair, and my vet gives him "panty shave" for that
25.gif
9.gif

Sorry I''m not helpful at all.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2008 7:46:34 PM
Author: Babyblue033
I don''t have any advise, but I just had to laugh at your ''dingleberries'' problem
9.gif
I actually have bit of an opposite issue with my long hair kitty who tends to get ''stuff'' stuck on his butt hair, and my vet gives him ''panty shave'' for that
25.gif
9.gif

In the past I''ve had that problem before too with my previous cats that had hair LOL!! I had to trim the area to get the stuff off
20.gif
ewww.

Oh well, pets are worth it!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/10/2008 7:50:21 PM
Author: kcoursolle

I don''t have any advise, but I just had to laugh at your ''dingleberries'' problem
9.gif
I actually have bit of an opposite issue with my long hair kitty who tends to get ''stuff'' stuck on his butt hair, and my vet gives him ''panty shave'' for that
25.gif
9.gif

In the past I''ve had that problem before too with my previous cats that had hair LOL!! I had to trim the area to get the stuff off
20.gif
ewww.

KC, you can consult your vet about a fibre additive, this might help the problem by '' pushing things through'' a little easier! A question.....sorry gross alert - is the poop not coming out of her butt properly, or it is just stuck at times in the general area?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 3:15:35 AM
Author: Lorelei

9.gif
25.gif
9.gif

20.gif
ewww.

KC, you can consult your vet about a fibre additive, this might help the problem by '' pushing things through'' a little easier! A question.....sorry gross alert - is the poop not coming out of her butt properly, or it is just stuck at times in the general area?
Hi L,
She seems to be pooping just fine and is very regular judging by what I see in the box. She just gets poop around her butt area afterwards. It''s not that much that stays around her butt area, but enough to get on furniture and carpet. I think I somehow need her to get in the habit of bathing after going in the box somehow... I will definitely plan on asking the vet about this though.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/11/2008 3:26:35 AM

I don't have any advise, but I just had to laugh at your 'dingleberries' problem
9.gif
I actually have bit of an opposite issue with my long hair kitty who tends to get 'stuff' stuck on his butt hair, and my vet gives him 'panty shave' for that
25.gif
9.gif

Sorry I'm not helpful at all.
In the past I've had that problem before too with my previous cats that had hair LOL!! I had to trim the area to get the stuff off
20.gif
ewww.

KC, you can consult your vet about a fibre additive, this might help the problem by ' pushing things through' a little easier! A question.....sorry gross alert - is the poop not coming out of her butt properly, or it is just stuck at times in the general area?
Hi L,
She seems to be pooping just fine and is very regular judging by what I see in the box. She just gets poop around her butt area afterwards. It's not that much that stays around her butt area, but enough to get on furniture and carpet. I think I somehow need her to get in the habit of bathing after going in the box somehow... I will definitely plan on asking the vet about this though.
Hiya KC!

I know what it is like, I have persians who can get this problem, so we do a ' sanitary clip'
9.gif
around their butts which helps! I would ask your vet and also get him to check her anal glands while he is at it. I feel your pain though with cleaning up cat poop!
face21.gif
Has she been wormed recently?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Well... I hate to say this... but... ROOD RUCK, REORGE!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

I don't think there's a darn thing you can do about it, sweetie! I mean, maybe you will be able to train her to groom herself right out of the litter box each time, but ... sounds kinda unlikely to me. (But what do I know?!)

Boo has a similar problem... only he's long haired and klutzy
23.gif
, so he frequently poos and then sits down in it, or steps in it, (all in the name of covering it up, which he has never really successfully got the hang of!!!) We trim his butt fur and that helps, but it simply isn't possible to eliminate the problem altogether.

So, yes, sometimes we have little poo smears here and there, or dropped litter on the furniture or floors (yes, I know:
14.gif
!!!)... but we just clean it up and live with it because we adore him!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Well, keep us posted!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think trying some different food may help. Super high quality foods produce firmer poops that stay together better, so it''s less likely it''ll stick around. Otherwise, feed her at a cettain time each morning so she always goes at the same time, and then wipe her little but
20.gif

Pets, gotta love em!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 3:52:33 AM

Date: 7/11/2008 3:26:35 AM

9.gif
25.gif
9.gif

20.gif
ewww.

Hi L,
She seems to be pooping just fine and is very regular judging by what I see in the box. She just gets poop around her butt area afterwards. It''s not that much that stays around her butt area, but enough to get on furniture and carpet. I think I somehow need her to get in the habit of bathing after going in the box somehow... I will definitely plan on asking the vet about this though.
Hiya KC!

I know what it is like, I have persians who can get this problem, so we do a '' sanitary clip''
9.gif
around their butts which helps! I would ask your vet and also get him to check her anal glands while he is at it. I feel your pain though with cleaning up cat poop!
face21.gif
Has she been wormed recently?
Hi L,
What is a sanitary clip?

She was at the vet about 3 months ago for a full physical, so her glands should be fine without any worm problems either. I really don''t think it''s a medical "issue" or anything like that, more like just part of owning a pet.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Well let me just start out by saying that my cat''s nickname is Dingleberry! Like Lynn, I have a Ragdoll. They are loveable long haired beasts and dingleberries just come with the territory. My sweetie has a VERY sensitive tummy and there''s only one food he can eat to keep the dingles at bay. Maybe you could try a new food.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 11:06:04 AM
Author: Lynn B
Well... I hate to say this... but... ROOD RUCK, REORGE!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

I don''t think there''s a darn thing you can do about it, sweetie! I mean, maybe you will be able to train her to groom herself right out of the litter box each time, but ... sounds kinda unlikely to me. (But what do I know?!)

Boo has a similar problem... only he''s long haired and klutzy
23.gif
, so he frequently poos and then sits down in it, or steps in it, (all in the name of covering it up, which he has never really successfully got the hang of!!!) We trim his butt fur and that helps, but it simply isn''t possible to eliminate the problem altogether.

So, yes, sometimes we have little poo smears here and there, or dropped litter on the furniture or floors (yes, I know:
14.gif
!!!)... but we just clean it up and live with it because we adore him!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Well, keep us posted!!!
This is what I thought, but I was hoping someone around here had a great sollution. I''ve just been cleaning up after her here and there too. Of course, she''s worth it and it''s not a huge deal really! She also gets little around the house, but I don''t mind this as much as the poo. Track pads reduced this by about half by the way. They separate their feet when they walk out of the box so that they drop off some of the litter into the pad instead of getting it all over the house.

I suppose all of this is good practice towards cleaning up after kids someday LOL.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KC, a ' sanitary clip'
28.gif
is what we do when a cat tends to get a dirty bottom, we either clip or trim the hair around the butt as short as possible so that any evacuated matter doesn't cling to the hair! Persians often have this problem but some short haired cats can get it too.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 12:22:51 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
I think trying some different food may help. Super high quality foods produce firmer poops that stay together better, so it''s less likely it''ll stick around. Otherwise, feed her at a cettain time each morning so she always goes at the same time, and then wipe her little but
20.gif

Pets, gotta love em!
Since she is hairless the vet and breeder reccommended "free feeding" her because she has a high metabolism to stay warm. She won''t ever get fat even though there is an endless source of food. But unfortunately, it means that she doesn''t eat and poop at the exact time every day. Often she just grazes.

I''m thinking her food should be okay though because her food is very expensive and it''s a specialty brand you can''t buy at the grocery stone (royal canin) that was recommended by the breeder and vet okay''d it. Her poop isn''t liquidy or anything, it just gets the occassional piece stuck to her butt just like if humans didn''t wipe...LOL.

We do give her 1-2 treats a day though, do you think that would be the culprit? She is also on a blood pressure medicine for her heart condition. I suppose those two things could change her poop, but honestly I think her poop is probably fine. I think it''s more of a general "having a pet" issue that I''m hoping their might be some sort of way to better deal with.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 1:28:14 PM
Author: Miranda
Well let me just start out by saying that my cat''s nickname is Dingleberry! Like Lynn, I have a Ragdoll. They are loveable long haired beasts and dingleberries just come with the territory. My sweetie has a VERY sensitive tummy and there''s only one food he can eat to keep the dingles at bay. Maybe you could try a new food.
Sorry, that made me laugh!! Besides changing her food, what do you due every day to deal with the issue? Do you just wipe her and groom the area frequently?

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
9.gif

The food takes care of it for the most part. In addition I keep the area trimmed and cut off any stray dingles as they come. Wiping them off can be soooo messy.
38.gif
Ugh, this is so gross!
32.gif
Just be glad your cat doesn''t step in his dung. Leo will do that from time to time. Luckily when he has a big dingle or he steps in his doo he waits in the laundry room and MEOWS in a particular meow that is to say, "MOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM! I need a bath!!!!!" Actually, his daddy usually gets that job. Bleck!

HeadOverHeels4James

Shiny_Rock
This post made me crack up! I think this kinda relates.... My parents have a French Bulldog and after he poops you have to literly wipe it out cuz the shape of his *ahem* pooper forms a little shelf and holds it!
14.gif
BAH He gets sooo mad when it gets cleaned too! It''s actually pretty funny to watch! haha
2.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
We don''t have a cat, but I had to giggle at this thread. Our Lhasa gets dingleberries too. Her groomer shaves her little butt area.

Linda

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 1:55:59 PM
Author: Miranda
9.gif

The food takes care of it for the most part. In addition I keep the area trimmed and cut off any stray dingles as they come. Wiping them off can be soooo messy.
38.gif
Ugh, this is so gross!
32.gif
Just be glad your cat doesn''t step in his dung. Leo will do that from time to time. Luckily when he has a big dingle or he steps in his doo he waits in the laundry room and MEOWS in a particular meow that is to say, ''MOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM! I need a bath!!!!!'' Actually, his daddy usually gets that job. Bleck!
Ug, thank goodness she doesn''t step in it LOL. That is almost adorable that he crys for mom or dad to come and give him a foot bath...although I''m sure you don''t think it''s adorable at the time LOL.

We almost have the opposite problem with her area since she doesn''t have any hair. She doesn''t need anything trimmed...she just ends up wiping the poop from her butt on other surfaces. Wiping seems to work pretty well since there isn''t any hair there, it''s just skin.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 2:07:58 PM
Author: HeadOverHeels4James
This post made me crack up! I think this kinda relates.... My parents have a French Bulldog and after he poops you have to literly wipe it out cuz the shape of his *ahem* pooper forms a little shelf and holds it!
14.gif
BAH He gets sooo mad when it gets cleaned too! It''s actually pretty funny to watch! haha
2.gif
Aw, I can image he doesn''t like it much to get cleaned. I can only imagine how funny it must look for a big bulldog to get cleaned. Our little girl puts up with it, but she definitely doesn''t like it either.

ahh, the stuff we go through for our loving pets!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 1:32:26 PM
KC, a '' sanitary clip''
28.gif
is what we do when a cat tends to get a dirty bottom, we either clip or trim the hair around the butt as short as possible so that any evacuated matter doesn''t cling to the hair! Persians often have this problem but some short haired cats can get it too.
I see, a little trim. We had these issues with my previous cats that had hair. They needed a little trim every now and then, but didn''t have the issue of spreading it around the house.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
LOL, Miranda! Boo has the same very specific, pathetic, URGENT-sounding (and LOUD!) ***MEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW*** too, when he needs "cleaned up"!!! We ALWAYS know, and even if we are in the next room, we'll be like, "OK, whose turn is it???!" (Although sometimes it is a two-man job, no doubt about it!!!)
14.gif

BTW, kcoursolle, please don't be offended by this, but I just had to chime in that although I know it is quite popular, Royal Canin really isn't that great of a food. There are some MUCH BETTER choices out there. Innova, EVO, Wellness, Felidae, Orijen, among others...

If you do a search, you will see that we have really split frog's hair with this subject... and as usual, our wise PS'ers (and AmberGretchen in particular) have lots of great advice and suggestions. And maybe changing her food will help with the problem?

And oh, BTW, what is her heart condition? I don't remember reading about that? Poor, sweet baby!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2008 10:21:18 PM
Author: Lynn B
LOL, Miranda! Boo has the same very specific, pathetic, URGENT-sounding (and LOUD!) ***MEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW*** too, when he needs ''cleaned up''!!! We ALWAYS know, and even if we are in the next room, we''ll be like, ''OK, whose turn is it???!'' (Although sometimes it is a two-man job, no doubt about it!!!)
14.gif

BTW, kcoursolle, please don''t be offended by this, but I just had to chime in that although I know it is quite popular, Royal Canin really isn''t that great of a food. There are some MUCH BETTER choices out there. Innova, EVO, Wellness, Felidae, Orijen, among others...

If you do a search, you will see that we have really split frog''s hair with this subject... and as usual, our wise PS''ers (and AmberGretchen in particular) have lots of great advice and suggestions. And maybe changing her food will help with the problem?

And oh, BTW, what is her heart condition? I don''t remember reading about that? Poor, sweet baby!
Isn''t that so funny. I''ve heard other Ragdoll owners say the same thing. They let you know when they need a cleaning! Gotta love these little kitties...Especially like now while he is sleeping in DD''s doll stroller! Even if they are gross!
14.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results