shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with engagement ring appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ice2005

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I have found a diamond that I would like to surprise my gf with on this New Years Eve but before I buy it, I was hoping an expert here could give me a rough appraisal of the stone.

Well here are the specs for the diamond ring:

1.34 ct
VVS1
Med fluoresence
F color
Table width 57%
Total Depth 59.2%
Finish grade= VGood

HRD certified

White gold ring

Thanks for your help.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
is this an ebay ring?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ice2005,

Wouldn't giving an ill-considered opinion based on incomplete information sort of defeat the point of an appraisal?

You can use the pricing matrix at the top of the page to search for stones with specs similar to the ones you posted. Most of the dealers here don't list HRD graded stones but they are reasonably comparable in pricing to EGL. This may give you a decent number to start with.

Neil Beaty
Independent Appraisals in Denver

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
sorry, you edited your original posting. in the color you had listed "F- rare white". ebay sellers like to put descriptions like that in their listings, which is why i thought this might be one.
the jeweler should be able to give you more information on the ring though, a sarin report would be very helpful. good luck!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/21/2004 8:43
6.gif
9 PM
Author: Ice2005

Neil, I understand that GIA and HRD are two of the best certifications, except that GIA is US-based and HRD is more international. I''ve read that HRD is more strict with their color gradings.
Ice,

I have no particular problem with HRD reports. I would have given a very similar answer with a report from any major lab. It is not possible to give a useful appraisal without examining the stone and without determining what marketplace is being considered. This is not indended as a disparagement of HRD or the selling jeweler, it''s simply the nature of doing appraisals. An uninformed answer is not helpful and, if you were to rely on it, it might actually be distructive.

Neil Beaty

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/22/2004 103:38 AM
Author: belle
sorry, you edited your original posting. in the color you had listed 'F- rare white'. ebay sellers like to put descriptions like that in their listings, which is why i thought this might be one
This is Euro talk of diamond clariry - the wording is used by HRD as well. Sort of like the "colorless" and "near colorless" ranges for GIA grades, there is "collection", "rare white", "white" etc. for clarity. These may sund exotic if not used in the US much, but very familiar elsewhere.

The comment about Ebay rings true, of course. Just wanted to bring up HRD's wording.

Down this link is listed the color scale of HRD (from their own website).

All in all, HRD has it's own cut garding, not unlike AGS (link to HRD ref.) A copy of the report would probably help pinpoint cut quality in more general terms (=independent of HRD's wording, but based on the technicals of the respective stone). From this, I guess there already is enough info to start guessing just how "ideal" this one is and what would be comparable merchandise around here.

Of course an appraiser could do much more... stone in hand and all. Without the stone in sight, the most feasible is to try and read between the lines of those reports, unfortunately
38.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is far more involved than just the weight, clarity, color, and dimensions. Symetry, polish, damage during the setting process, etc.

An appraiser can only appraise it - in person. All we can do here is talk about its "potential" based on the above information.

Perry

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ice,

HRD''s top cut grade is called Very Good. Here are the parameters in a nutshell.

This is an extremely broad range. On the AGS scale (which goes from 0-10 with 0 at the top), this covers roughly 0-7. Many of the dealers here count AGS0 as unacceptably broad and promote ''superideal'' cutting. which applies even more specific parameters.

I wouldn''t call an HRD claim of very good cut to be in any way a problem but it doesn''t actually supply much information.

Neil Beaty

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results