shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with custom problem...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LE

Rough_Rock
I was browsing my favorite custom ring designer''s website over the weekend and saw a ring with a nice-looking shank. I mentioned it to FF, who said that my ring (which is being made by this designer) may be VERY close to the one online. I figured that the online ring had a much smaller diamond (.5-.8 ct.) than my 1.3 ct. stone because the prongs on the ring were very large (compared to this designer''s usual prongs) and the ring made the stone look TINY (by the way, my ring size is 4.5, which should make a 1.3ct. stone look average at least). I decided to take another look at the ring online (and check out the stone size listed) to make sure that it was not my ring, but it''s not online anymore! There are very few stones smaller than 2 ct. on this particular website, but even the smaller stones have tiny prongs. I wish that I could post the link for what may be my ring. How should I handle the situation? I''m worried that FF spent a nice chunk of change on this custom setting without getting the look that we both wanted (we specified that the prongs should be as thin as possible). Although I initially wanted a solid shank, we requested a cathedral shank with tiny prongs, but ended up with a flat shank with large prongs. He is very worried, as am I. Help! What should we do?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you should talk to the designer and not try to guess about whether or not it''s yours and what the ring looks like. just ask!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 4:57:00 PM
Author: belle
you should talk to the designer and not try to guess about whether or not it''s yours and what the ring looks like. just ask!

ditto..no reason to try and guess..call and find out.

LE

Rough_Rock
It is mine. Rats.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 5:01:18 PM
Author: LE
It is mine. Rats.
So call them and say, not acceptable, shave the prongs down more.

LE

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your advice, Ellen! I found out that it''s been shipped to FF. Which should I do:

1. Tell FF to send it back now?
2. Wait for proposal and then send it back?
3. Wait for proposal and live with it as-is? I''d hate to do #3, since we would waste over $1500 on something that most of the amazing online vendors could do for less.

I feel like I''m being difficult about the situation, but we went with this designer for the prongs ONLY. Without the tiny prongs, I don''t know what I paid for. Am I being unreasonable?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends. Is he going to wait awhile before proposing? It''d be good if you saw the ring IN PERSON before deciding the prongs need work, y''know? If he isn''t going to propose immediately, can you see the ring and decide if it''s good or not? Hopefully he will propose quickly though.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 5:25:10 PM
Author: LE
Thank you for your advice, Ellen! I found out that it''s been shipped to FF. Which should I do:

1. Tell FF to send it back now?
2. Wait for proposal and then send it back?
3. Wait for proposal and live with it as-is? I''d hate to do #3, since we would waste over $1500 on something that most of the amazing online vendors could do for less.

I feel like I''m being difficult about the situation, but we went with this designer for the prongs ONLY. Without the tiny prongs, I don''t know what I paid for. Am I being unreasonable?
No, I don''t think so. Especially if that''s what this designer is known for, and that''s why you picked them.

Would you trust your FF''s eyes to judge it/them alone? If you would, let him decide. If he''s not sure, or you feel you need to see it, then I''d look when he gets it. Unless as FG mentioned, he''s going to propose right away?

Bottom line, I''d want to see it before a return time expires.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results