shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with choosing the best stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

melloyello

Rough_Rock
Hey Guys I have read alot of the posts and this forum has turned me from someone who had no idea about diamonds into what I like to think as an enthusiast. I am in the process of purchasing a stone but have a predicament, with price being the same would you guys go for a 1.25 ct F VS1 or a 1.5 ct G SI1. I understand that a SI1 is eye clean but what do you guys think about the step down in the color range?

I am purchasing one of these stones soon so any input would be greatly appreciated!

Also one more thing on a Princess cut do you think having a very thin to very thick Girdle is ok?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
No to very thin - princess cuts are time bomb waiting to be chipped - they are not forever.

I would trade clolr over clarity but not recomend going below SI1 sight unseen

melloyello

Rough_Rock
So in my situation would you recommend me dropping from an F to a G in color as well as in clarity from a VS1 to a SI1 for a gain in ct weight from 1.25 to 1.5 all for the same price?

Thanks!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Melloyello:

There is a lot of personal preference in what you do. What is it you value most?

I personally would drop down in color. SI1... Hmmm it would have to be the right SI1 from a vendor I trusted (Good Old Gold, Nice Ice, Whiteflash ACA, Superbcert). Otherwise I don''t think it worth the gamble.

Expert inspection and selection is important here (personal opinion)

Personally, My target stone is G VS2; and in your case I might look for a 1.375 G VS2 unless I was real sure I could trust the vendor with that SI1.

Remeber, another appraiser may call your SI1 a SI2 (or a VS2).

Perry

M.Y.:

Any chance you can see both stones in person? And which one has the thin girdle?

Mary

melloyello

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the freat feedback.

I have decided to go with the 1.5 G SI1. I have also attached a copy of the GIA report. Let me know what you guys think.
I passed on the 1.27 ct F VS1 I hope I made the right choice...

I can return the ring if the inclusion is visible to the eye but SI1's are supposed to be eye clean right?

Thanks again for all yalls input!

giareportp.jpg

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Not all SI1''s are eye-clean..it is more like 50/50..... This princess also seems a little deep!

melloyello

Rough_Rock
The range for a premium cut in the advanced tutorial section is 64%-75%. The dimensions for my stone are 6.33 x 6.32, from my research this seems to be an average size for this ct weight. I understand that this is not a direct correlation to depth but I believe it does play a factor right? What $ depth is considered ideal for a princess? I am new to all this but I have learned very quickly because I am proposing New Years Eve!!! I originally picked the 1.27 F VS1 but I decided to go with the ct weight of a 1.50 stone. I just hope there is not too much of a difference from a F to a G stone...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dont like that stone at all it has a large si1 feather way to close to the weakest point of a princess diamond.
Depending on how deep it is that could be a huge duribility problem.
Combine that with a thin girdle and if the thin part is in that area and you have even more of a problem.

melloyello

Rough_Rock
Hey Gary aka the Cut Nut, what is your thoughts on this rock? I know you really dont have to much to go by but should the location of this feather be a concern for me?

The more input the merrier. I really do not want to spend my all my money and energy into a stone that is very liable to chip, thanks guys...

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
It depends a lot on the feather and its location in the stone.... If it isn''t near a surface facet or girdle and located deep in the corner, it might be ok.

If it breaks the surface or has strain leading to the corner of the stone, then more thought and consideration is needed.

What is the crown angle and crown height?

Rockdoc

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Square cuts tend to hold and show more body color than rounds. G color Prin should still be fine as far color goes without the pricing premium of the colorless range.

The feather near the corner is a bit worrisome. Prins'' facets don''t have the ability to "hide"/disguise inclusions like rounds do. Also, as Rock Doc pointed out, you would want the feather thoroughly checked out before committing to the purchase. Or make purchase contingent on a satisfactory professional examination of the diamond.
1.gif

melloyello

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback. The stone should be arriving on New Years Eve, hopefully, bad weather has pushed back FedEx shipments. But I am going to use this stone to propose to my beatiful girlfriend. I am stressing on the stone because I want to find one as great as the girl that it is going to adorn. I am trying to find a local place to have it professionally appraised and I have 30 days in which to return, I purchased it through Blue Nile.

Hey RocDoc in response to your question I do not know what the Angles are but I plan on getting the stone appraised as soon as I receive it. The only problem is that it will be mounted, is this going to severely limit their ability to give a concise assessment of this stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results