shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help washing my hands

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Melinda

Shiny_Rock
This is probably going to sound like a dumb question,but since I''ve been wearing my ring (3 wks) I''ve wondered:
I wash my hands numerous times a day-- I live in a dirty city-- and I always try to wash around my ring and only end up (sort of) washing my palms. I''m definitely not going to take off my ring every time I wash my hands-- that''s way too risky for me, but what do you do? I don''t want to get my whole diamond wet, do I? I want to wear this for a lifetime, but I also need to wash my hands frequently. What do you all do when you''re at work?

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
I felt the same way you do when I first got my ring! And I always did that weird half-wash which left me feeling like my hands weren''t really as clean as they should be. But then I realized half the people on PS use their ultrasonics every day and started thinking that actually it''s probably GOOD for my ring to get all warm and soapy and wet, so now I just give it a little extra scrub as I wash my hands, make extra sure I rinse all the soap off, and then try to dry all angles of my stone/setting as much as I can with a paper towel without looking really freakish to anyone else who happens to be in the bathroom.
20.gif
So basically, I figured there can''t actually be anything wrong with getting your ring washed in nice soapy water as long as you don''t let the soap residue stay on it, and you dry it fairly well! Right??
32.gif
Because I''ve been enjoying how every time I go to the bathroom now, my ring ends up extra sparkly!
9.gif

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Albicocca. Warm soapy water will help get some of the oils from your skin off the stone/setting. It might not look noticable cleaner but it probable is. I bought my FI an ultrasonic cleaner and make sure she uses it atleast every other day. She takes her jewelry off before she jumps in the shower. The jewelry goes in the US and is ready when she comes out.
If your that worried about how the stone will look after repeated hand washing get yourself an US. For less than 50 bucks you''ll be glad you did. My FI gets constant requests from friends and family to clean their rings. It''s paid for itself tenfold already.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2006 2:58:38 PM
Author: klavigne
I agree with Albicocca. Warm soapy water will help get some of the oils from your skin off the stone/setting. It might not look noticable cleaner but it probable is. I bought my FI an ultrasonic cleaner and make sure she uses it atleast every other day. She takes her jewelry off before she jumps in the shower. The jewelry goes in the US and is ready when she comes out.

If your that worried about how the stone will look after repeated hand washing get yourself an US. For less than 50 bucks you''ll be glad you did. My FI gets constant requests from friends and family to clean their rings. It''s paid for itself tenfold already.

Actually, with a Leon ring, i wouldn''t do the US. I don''t think he recommends it either. there is a thread around here somewhere from another Leon owner. I''ll hunt it down and add it. As for washing your hands, go for it. Diamonds and Plat. should do just fine in soap and water. you can always clean the rings later with a baby toothbush and dishsoap.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s the thread about cleaning Leon pave
1.gif

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
I didn''t realize it was a pave setting, they shouldn''t go into a US. Neither should softer stones.

Melinda

Shiny_Rock
Yes. I realized I didn''t mention it was pave. I always thought soap would get in the little nooks and crannies and make the ring dull. Cleaning my rings is one thing, and I read Leon''s article awhile ago. But washing myself is a different thing, and that''s why I wanted some input. I sppreciate all the suggestions.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think dirty hands are alot more gross than a dirty ring.
9.gif

seriously, just wash your hands the normal way.

and clean your ring with a small toothbrush and ammonia.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2006 8:38:03 PM
Author: Mara
i think dirty hands are alot more gross than a dirty ring.
9.gif

seriously, just wash your hands the normal way.

and clean your ring with a small toothbrush and ammonia.
Yup it''s better to have clean hands and not get sick than having a clean diamond. You never know what kind of bacteria you can get in public places. Scrub your hands for at least 10 seconds to make sure most germs are gone.

If you think that the soap got stuck in the nooks and crannies, then just make sure to clean your ring when you get home every night to ensure maximum sparkle capability.

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
I read somewhere that if you do take your ring off to wash your hands -- the best place to put it is between your lips. That way, you won''t forget them.

But what if the ring is dirty? Then you''re putting germs in your mouth, right? And knowing me, if someone said hello I''d probably sai hi back & the ring would do a freefall onto tile! Yikes!
41.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I just wash my hands the normal way, and rinse well, just like Albiocca said. However, when I am at work ( I am a nurse and constantly washing my hands) I dont wear my ring there. Besides all the bumping around that I do, I dont want all that soap scum on my ring....but i think the regular handwashing will be just fine...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha DON''T put it between your lips. Here''s a story why!

I used to do this and then one night I was at the movies and had just washed my hands and was sitting in my chair with my girlfriend...well I wanted to put lotion on so I put the ring between my lips and I ended up squeezing too much lotion onto my hands. It was a total involuntary act for me to say ''oops!'' and my ring fell out of my mouth and down into my lap and down the side of the seat and onto the FLOOR of the movie theatre. I PANICKED...thank goodness the lights were still on and me and my GF jumped down and started looking for it and it was right under my chair over to the right but MY GOD talk about stomach dropping to the floor...I was like OMG in a movie threatre, someone could just grab it and take off!
32.gif

So since then NEVER again in the lips. I typically put it between my thighs in my lap with diamond facing up so I can see it...hehee. Not necessarily the BEST place either but at least if I am sitting down then the worst it can do (I think?) is drop down further and then I can just do a thigh squeeze to hold them in place for a few more seconds.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results