shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help please! ! ! Is it worth the large difference in price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PilotP

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I am looking to pick your brains on this one...I am looking at 2 diamonds from GOG. Here are the links:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2109/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2124/

The 1.10 is about 5700.00

The 1.20 is about 8500.00

My question is which do you think is a better buy? I know that the 1.20 diamond is a better quality stone, but is it worth the substantial difference in price? Will there be much of a difference to the naked eye between these 2 diamonds? I really need everyones help with this...The diamond that I was going to buy was sold 2 days before I tried to buy it!!!! Terrible luck...

Thanks so much for your help on this one!
Paul

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The I is 5.82x5.81
The J is 5.84x5.80

You will never notice the size difference.

Guess it could make a difference if it's a high I vs. a low J. Well, I'd probably still go with the J, but you'd want to know beforehand, right? Ask for color comparison pictures.

DIcompare.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS
35.gif

I don''t think you will notice any difference in the size, I would go for the cheaper VS diamond - I doubt you will see any difference in the colour unless you are very colour sensitive and unless you want a very high clarity, VVS is overkill in my opinion.

PilotP

Rough_Rock
That is my thought...my concern really is with the color of the diamond. In your experience, is the difference between I and J color stones very noticable? Do you think it would look good set in platinum?

Thanks,
Paul

PilotP

Rough_Rock
oh...sorry...I didn''t see the picture when I first read the post..Slow internet connection i guess
emsmile.gif

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 8:19:23 AM
Author: PilotP
That is my thought...my concern really is with the color of the diamond. In your experience, is the difference between I and J color stones very noticable? Do you think it would look good set in platinum?

Thanks,
Paul
While I haven''t seen a square H&A in person, I have owned both a round I and a J. The difference in color was noticable to me. I also own an H colored round and there was more of a difference in going from an I to a J, than an H to an I. I didn''t hate the color of the J, just that there was an obvious tint in certain lighting conditions.

Remember that fancies tend to show more color than rounds, so my observations may not hold true for the square stones....the color difference may be very noticable.

I think either would look great set in platnium. That is now I had mine set.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think the difference in one colour grade ( assuming both diamonds are similar and graded by the same lab) is going to be very noticeable to most people, unless you are very colour sensitive, however fancies can show more body colour than rounds. If it was me, I would call Jon and ask his opinion if there is any difference between the two, he will give you a better idea and maybe can send you some comparison shots which might give you a better idea, but not the true picture, only your eyes will tell you that. Also ask him how these would look set in plat, they would probably be fine. Some opinions say that warmer colours ( even though a properly graded I and J isn't that warm to me) look better set in yellow or white gold, but other experts believe that these diamonds look whiter set in plat, regardless of shape. I think your best bet is to call Jon and pick his brains, he will be totally honest with you.

Also check out this link, it shows the comparison between a D and an I an J, don't know if it is that pertinent to your query as these are rounds, but you will notice the difference between each colour grade is subtle.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/Color/NearColorless/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I didn''t realize the square H&A face up so much smaller than the RB''s. I''d choose the I because G-H is my preferred color range and I would only consider going down to I. I may be getting a diamond with a higher clarity than necessary, too, in order to get the other features I need. In the long run, I''d rather sacrifice and get something better now than to get something I might regret later. I''ve made that mistake in the past!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results