shape
carat
color
clarity

need help on pricing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cntrl

Rough_Rock

hi all,

i am a novice, so please bear with me.
i got a quote for the following:
1.35 to 1.5 carat
vs1
very good cut
f color

price: $13000 CAN or 10800 USD

is this a good price? can anyone recommend a jeweller in toronto or GTA area that can get me a good price on an engagement ring?
thanks in advance!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Have you tried USAcerted? They have a website (and also advertize on the home page of this forum) and will bring in stones for you to see locally, given their office is in Thornhill, Ont. Happy searching!

cheers--Sharon

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, asuming this is a round diamond, that it has a lab report and that there is a good explanation why this is called "very good cut"... I guess the number sounds right. At least in line with competing quotes around here (easy to run a search).

With no standard for cut quality (that can only be the seller''s own) it remains to be seen what the quote applies to really. You have not seen any particular diamond from this source yet, have you ?

cntrl

Rough_Rock
first of all, thanks for the input, they are much appreciated.
secondly, the diamond is round and i dont have any other specs on it yet, i am still looking around for a good price and was wondering if the price i was quoted was inline with market price or am i getting a "deal".
i will try usacerted since a few members have had great experiences with them...any other referrals are welcome

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Whether you are getting a deal or not really depends on the specific diamond. Not all diamonds are created or "cut" equal. Some are good, some are bad! It would be a good price for a very well-cut diamond yes.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Here''s two you''ll inevitably want to look at...both ostensibly AGS0 & H&A.

See here for shopping strategies.

Sometimes, paying more for diamonds not well cut just doesn''t pay. That seems to be the case here.

Best of wishes,

cntrl

Rough_Rock
thanks to all for the input. it''s rare to find a forum with alot of people eager to help out
21.gif
Cheers!

cntrl

Rough_Rock
hi once again,

i got another quote for the following:

1.69 carat
SI2
G color
ideal-excellent cut (is there such a combination??? is it better than ideal??)
GIS cert

asking price is $10500 CAN or $8750 USD

is this a good price???

thanks you alll in advance
1.gif

cntrl

Rough_Rock
cont''d.....

is the yellowish color noticeable from E to G??? or will the ideal cut mask it??
also, with the SI2 clarity, can you see inclusions with the naked eye? or will the cut again mask it?

thank you all. i never realized the work involved in finding an engagement ring...but i guess she''s worth it
9.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Cntrl,

Regardless of the database you review, generally, with a diamond of any cut characteristics, from unknown to excellent, the price ranges from $9K to $14K for options with equivalent qualities, so on the face of it, you have an attractive stone, the pricing of which looks very advantaged. Then again, are you concerned as to why it is so good?

But, check, have you read the tutorial yet? Asked for any more precise numbers yet, as for example, on crown or pavillion angles? Maybe they won't have them, and that may be OK, but you be the judge; for that kind of expense, I'd want confirmation of the quality of cut, and to verify this, that data will help you. Note, also, you can see the same info here, bringing up the databases for comparison, as well; I personally have no other experience I am drawing down from.

Finally, you mention is it a GIS cert. One would hope it is a typo, in which case you mean GIA, which would be favorable, and the color and clarity data can probably be trusted. But if you did mean GIS, that is an unknown, and likewise, the goodness of those ratings come into question. Once you're clear you have a diamond you're interested in, either before or after the purchase, taking it to and indepdent appraiser to help confirm these things is an option to seriously consider. Regarding the cut characteristics, however, don't assume your appraiser will be able to confirm this data; ask in advance.

Best wishes,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results