shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help: looking for the perfect cushion cut diamond

hooper46

Rough_Rock
I guess at this point I am leaning towards getting the JA stone I have on hold. I will meet with the jeweler one more time and explain to him that 'my support team' does not feel what he is offering is as good as what I have on hold. I sent him the image of the JA diamond, so he knows what I am looking for.

One last question, the 2.31 EGL diamond, is $16,500 a good price for that? Or should I completely forget about that one?

Are there any other ones on JA or somewhere else online that are worth one last consideration?

Thanks!

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
The JA diamond is nicer than the EGL diamond you posted. The rule of thumb is to lower the color grade by 2 and the clarity grade by at least 1 to get to similar GIA grades. In you case an F becomes an H and the VS2 is likely an SI1 or lower. Typically diamond cutters send their lower stones to EGL so they can get better grading and then attempt to sell them for a higher price than what they would get for a lower GIA grade. I am not sure if you have reached out to Brilliantly Engaged, but they are also known for their expertise in cushions. As for metal choice- I prefer platinum. No rhodium plating required, less maintence and more durability.

http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/1.91-carat-g-vs1-x-factor-cushion-cut-diamond-gid-63171.html

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Travelgal|1420227328|3810972 said:
The rule of thumb is to lower the color grade by 2 and the clarity grade by at least 1 to get to similar GIA grades.

This is not true. There is no rule of thumb. Two color grades is an average. That means some can be spot on, some can be 5 color grades off (not making that up, it's happened) some can be 2 color grades. If there was a rule of thumb they would be dependable. But the entire point is, they aren't.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
hooper46|1420217991|3810882 said:
One last question...

This is the setting I am thinking, I was considering the 1.5mm but I am not sure if that is too thin. Should I get the 18K white gold or the platinum?

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/platinum-2mm-comfort-fit-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-1981

Thanks.
''

Platinum and that's a nice setting but won't allow a flush fit band. I suggest these instead. JA can special order them in for you easily. And they are really affordable. http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122100/9139037/?groupId=119111#/center-stone or http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122089/10316103/?groupId=120319#/center-stone

And if you want, you can get one of the X1 Stuller alloys of white gold that don't need plating unlike other white gold alloys. That said, Platinum is best. And you don't want thinner than 1.8mm in platinum or 2mm in white gold in a setting.

hooper46

Rough_Rock
All, thank you so much for your input. I made the purchase this morning from JA. I have never been more nervous about a purchase in my life...probably because with the exception of my house and vehicle, this is the largest purchase I have ever made.

I went with the 2mm comfort fit that JA offers, and after 2nd...3rd....and 4th guessing my purchase this morning, I wish I would have spent a little while longer reviewing the setting options that Gypsy suggested. When I initially looked at them, I thought the band width was 4 and 5mm, now I see that is for the stone size.

Bottom line, as long as I am happy with the stone (super nervous about it) the setting can always be switched at a later date...

Again, thanks for the help.

noscrusir

Shiny_Rock
Awesome! I hope it looks fantastic. I was nervous too about my diamond purchase and even freaked out once it got close to the end of my return period. Turns out, my fiance loves the ring so much and says it was perfect :) We tend to get too worried about these things unnecessarily. From all accounts, that JA stone looks great, so I'm hoping you're sig other will be just as happy as well!

hooper46

Rough_Rock
Well, here it is. Opinions?

Now I just need to figure out when!

img_0607.jpg

img_6656.jpg

img_6658.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
From what I can see, it looks beautiful.

But you are the one seeing it in person!
What do YOU think?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results