shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help .. I SI2 ... 2.57

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Skyblue

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I need help. I currently have a stone that I am thinking of upgrading but I need some opinions on the potential new stone.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/2_57ct_i_si2_ags_ideal.htm

What do you think of the overall look and price? There is one small inclusion which is a dark spot which makes me a little nervous.

Should I wait or go for it?

Thanks ........ !!

Skyblue

Rough_Rock
You can PM me if you prefer.

Thanks for any help...

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
It has a whole mess of inclusions on the plot and they even show up on the pis.

Only your eyes will tell if it''s "eye clean".

Skyblue

Rough_Rock
Yeah .. I guess that was kind of my initial reaction but I was told it was probably eyeclean to the naked eye. It is the black speck that worries me. I could wait or pay more for I SI1 or maybe do J SI1.... I was actually very pleasantly surprised by the prev. SI2 but that was that one and I have read so many negative things about black specks....
emsad.gif

Thanks ..

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tough call!! The inclusions do seem numerous but they are centered mostly in the middle which leads me to ask....will the sparkle of this monster hide them? Some people like to say that they prefer inclusions smack dab in the middle of the stone because the stone''s sparkle (assuming well cut of course) will pretty much hide the inclusions. BUT I don''t know if that is a 100% of the time type thing, or if it''s only in certain lighting situations.

Have you asked GOG/Rhino what their thoughts are on the inclusions? One way to check it out would be to purchase the stone and then check it out when you receive it, knowing you can return it for a refund within a time period. With something like that stone and that # of inclusions, it may take a real leap of faith.

It looks beautiful though, and the price is definitely right, so if it IS pretty much eye clean and you like it, I would try it out! Good luck.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The darkfield photo link shows a colorless crystal under the table.... If that reflects light, it would be black under IdealScope (just like the arrows are black).

I would guess that those inclusions look much more discrete in person since these photos are hugely magnified. But that is true for any diamond and this one has allot of stuff going on right under the table. It may be that the inclusions allowed under the table for each clarity grade are smaller than some only visible from the back... but this has little to do with "eye-cleanness"
33.gif

If this one is a relative good deal, you might want to take a look. I am not very convinced those inclusions are totally disastruous. Wish they weren''t under the table
20.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the meantime...

This one is about 8.5mm at DCD

7095554.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And this, 8.9mm, 18k at WF (link). There is no clarity photo, but the cert shows a scatter of inclusions under the table. They barely show on the Ideal Scope picture...
Most "Expert Selection" stones have terrific photographs - I would definitely ask for this one
5.gif

On the photo available, only some of the inclusions near the edge of the table are somewhat visible (and that's 5X or so).

26ISI2WF.JPG

Skyblue

Rough_Rock
I was told (not by Rhino) that it is a very, very nice SI2 and that it is probably eyeclean to the untrained eye. The small black spot is off to the side of the table and not smack dab in the middle but you can see it up close. I have some other pictures but I am not sure I can attach them. I will try.

I purchased a K SI2 from them last Aug which I kind of just went for, hoping for the best and was very pleasantly surprised. The feather was on the table but I absolutely can''t see it w/ my eyes. The color was also a very nice surprise.
emsmile.gif

Unfortunately, due to one thing or another I never had time to have it put in a setting. Now, that it is 6 mos later, I figured well, what the heck.. might as well go a little higher in color and size b4 finally setting the darn thing.
emembarrassed.gif

I just HATE having to ship things back .. esp. diamonds but I also have been very happy w/ GOG. (Also, have I Si1 studs from them). I feel kind of bad though bec. I had them call this one in....

There was another one avail a little while back that was SI1 , h &a that was $3k more but of course I like the price better on this one.

I could 1) give this one a shot 2) try out the other I Si1 (may or not be still avail 3) wait for another but I am afraid to wait too long bec. of price increases and tight inventory.

Thanks for all responses and opinions !!

Skyblue

Rough_Rock
Ooops .. I think it took me too long to post my response.

Valeria, I did see that one at WF and also thought it looked great but ... this is an upgrade from GOG so ...

Thanks to both you and Mara for your responses.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 4.10 I, SI 2 stone and it is perfectly eye clean from all angles. Did you speak with Jonathan and ask him if the inclusion is visible and whether he thinks you should upgrade to this stone or wait for something else to come up?

My stone has a lot of stuff in the photos and GIA report, mostly at the side of the table and in the crown. I can easlily see them with a loupe but cannot find them with the naked eye.
According to the report, the stone you are considering has high scores for brightness, etc. so perhaps the inclusions, even though in the table, do not interfere with the brilliance of the stone.
Of course, you are paying accordingly for an SI 2 and getting a much larger stone for your money. If the inclusion is visible, perhaps you can get a better description of just how noticeable it is and whether you can live with it.

Small, visible inclusions are usually only noticeable to the wearer because they know where to look for them. If the ring is very sparkly and bright, which this one appears to be from the information given, the chances are that the sparkle will mask a small inclusion, even a black one.
Sometimes I think I see an inclusion in my ring but upon further inspection, it is just a reflection of a prong or the way the light hits it.

Does Jonathan think this is an exceptional value and that it would be hard to duplicate at this price? Or does he think if you wait, he can come up with something better?
I bought my stone because I was told by Brian at Whiteflash that it was very unusual to find an eye clean, very well proportioned stone in this size and although I was willing to pay more,he said I could not get a better looking stone unless I wanted to pay several thousand dollars more.

This may be the case with this stone and I am sure Jonathan will be able to furnish this information to help you make your decision.

Skyblue

Rough_Rock
Does Jonathan think this is an exceptional value and that it would be hard to duplicate at this price? Or does he think if you wait, he can come up with something better?
I bought my stone because i was told by Brian at Whiteflash that it was very unusual to find an eye clean, very well proportioned stone in this size and although I was willing to pay more,he said I could not get a better looking stone unless I wanted to pay several thousand dollars more.
This may be the case with this stone and I am sure Jonathan will be able to furnish this information to help you make your decision.

Solange,

You have made some very good points and I think you have put into writing what I have been struggling with in my head.

Thanks !

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Skyblue, What size is the K stone that you have not had set yet?

I''m just wondering how much of an upgrade this one would be.

Skyblue

Rough_Rock
The K is 2.27.... and it still looks pretty big to me. Although, I have not actually worn it except around the house... (very carefully due to temp setting!)
emteeth.gif
I like the K but I like my I color studs better (only .50) so I guess I always knew eventually I would go up in color -- J or I. I guess you could say it is a color upgrade but who can upgrade on color alone without some size bump?
emembarrassed.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Ahhhh, I see.
9.gif

I love that you are upgrading before you even had the first one set!
2.gif

If you have already decided that you want a higher color than your K, I''d say that this one is a good choice for you. I agree with the others that you should talk to Jonathan and get his opinion on the clarity of the stone.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
obsessed upgraders are my idols! hehee...

i agree, jump the color and the size at the same time, why not.
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it seems that this one is going to come from Good Old Gold anyway because of the upgrade arangement. And I would definitely agree that those inclusions would not be off-putting in person.

Also, the color grades get times wider away from "Colorless", so J would make some difference as well. If they happen to have just the right J/SI that would be one thing to consider. Medium fluorescence yet another.

If it's not allot of hassle for you to see this one, why not
1.gif

Is the setting comming from GOG ?

Skyblue

Rough_Rock
Also, the color grades get times wider away from "Colorless", so J would make some difference as well. If they happen to have just the right J/SI that would be one thing to consider. Medium fluorescence yet another.

That is good to know Valeria -- I did not know that. I would love med fluor!

Is the setting comming from GOG ?

Well, I am thinking about getting it from them this time because ...... well, darn it I would like to wear it!

Originally, I was considering going locally for the setting but I never made it due to multiple reasons and some procrastination.

One of my concerns of getting the setting online was due to ring size (not sure of mine right now .. 7. 7.5, 8?). Also, I have a hard time getting a true feel for a setting by just looking at them online. For instance, I saw a Verragio a couple of years ago online then saw one in person and it was about 25% the size I though it would be.
emsad.gif

I think I have a better idea now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results