shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help finding Mother of the Bride dress in size 0

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I know many PSers are teeny and have great taste, so I thought I''d ask here for some help! My mom desperately needs help finding a Mother of the Bride dress for my sis''s wedding at the end of March. My mom is 5''8" and a size 0 (very straight body type with long legs, think Twiggy). She''s only 49 so a lot of the usual outfits are a bit old looking for her.

We''re thinking something with a pencil skirt (so her legs don''t look like sticks) and a detailed short jacket, bolero or something. She doesn''t want to expose too much skin and it could be chilly here. She''d like to wear a champagney color. (My sis''s dress is white with red trims and champagne beading and the bridal party will be in red) The budget is $150.

I would love any specific ideas or links to sites that have smaller sizes. The smallest I''m finding are size 4s or petite 0s. We live in a rural area so we don''t have access to big stores, the only one I can think of is David''s Bridal and a couple boutiquey shops that are quite expensive.

All of your suggestions are appreciated!! TIA!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My MIL wore a gold dress from Cache. It was a halter though so maybe that isn''t conservative enough for your mom. She is a size two.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Tacori. I found a Cache store about an 1.5 hrs away so maybe we could take a little trip!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
If you can find a great local seamstress with great tailoring skills, you can open up the search to items that only go down to a 4.
1.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2010 11:25:29 AM
Author: somethingshiny
Thanks, Tacori. I found a Cache store about an 1.5 hrs away so maybe we could take a little trip!

It was a really pretty dress and my MIL could pull it off (she is has a great body). I think she had a shawl as well. My mom got her dress at David''s. I think it was suppose to be a BM''s dress. Both didn''t want matronly suits. I think both were around your mom''s budget. Also really look into BM''s dresses as a whole. Many are between $100-$200.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions!!

more are welcome!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you checked Banana Republic? They have cute stuff that fits smaller sizes.

My recommendation would be to order some clothes and then have them altered to fit. I'm a size 2 and have a very hard time finding stuff that fits. The only skirt which actually flatters my build has become my official uniform of both weddings and funerals. Everyone must think I'm insane. (I'm even going to go to have a duplicate made in another color to change things around!)

But, anyway. . .if you order online, look for quality fabric and then plan to have whatever is purchased altered to fit.

Oh, and FWIW, I'm only 5' 4" so most stuff is too long. . .it may be easier for your mom when looking for an item like a pencil skirt.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
MC~ Thanks for the suggestion! I hadn''t even thought of Banana Republic.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Tacori~ Thanks. I saw that dress and thought it could work, but the colors are BAD for my mom. I''m also wondering about length (this one could be easily shortened). It''s an afternoon wedding and sis THINKS she wants floor length for the BMs but hasn''t actually pulled the trigger on a style. It would look weird if my mom and sis were the only ones in floor length. On a side note, my sis''s MIL will be wearing a funeral appropriate dress.
20.gif

Can flat chested women wear strapless??? or do they just fall off?

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
If it''s possible for you to order online, some stores with beautiful dresses (and great return policies) are Lord & Taylor, Dillard''s and Nordstrom. You should be able to find something in your price range from one of those stores. Good luck!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, vesper!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
My mom got her dress from von maur. They had a huge selection for MOB, and hers wasn''t matronly at all! She was very concerned, did not want a dress that screamed MOB!

and hers was on sale for $90. Oh and hers was long, I actually asked that she got a long dress. My BMs wore shorter dresses, but I just thought it was appropriate for hers to be long. it was beautiful. She was stunning. Her motto was "I''m 50 and fabulous!"

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Charbie.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results