shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help finding a great one carat round engagement ring please....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

prc

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! My fiance and I would like any help possible to find a quality one carat round diamond. We''re flexible on the size of the stone but would like to stay around 3/4, preferably closer to one carat or a little over. The quality of the cut and "fire" is very important as is little or no visible color. We''re open to any and all suggestions! Any links to some good stones would be greatly appreciated as well as any tips as to what to look for.

We have been through the 6 week ebay debachle and am trying to steer my fiance toward the Pricescope vendors and toward the wealth of knowledge here. He is trying to steer me toward a local B&M store that seems quite reputable, but I''m not sure of the quality of their stones. And, I''m more concerned about them now because they have GIA appraiser there who is recommending stones to him. The only plus is that the store is running a 30% off sale for the next 3 weeks. The F SI1 .99 ct stone he looked at was priced at $5300 but would be $3710 with the discount. Also, we found a setting there that we liked about a month ago when we took the ebay stone there to get it checked out.

We are planning a trip to the local B&M Saturday. How do I compare the stones we see there with any on the pricescope vendors? Is that possible? What should I ask or look for? I am considering purchasing an ideal scope, but thought the store may have one we could use.

Thanks in advance!

Pam

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
To be honest- cut the chase and go straight to WhiteFlash! I just received my A Cut Above round in a Tiffany solitare today and am loving it!!
30.gif
I also have an e-ring from BlueNile that I adore as well (a princes cut) but for rounds- it''s all WhiteFlash baby!
31.gif

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1948513.htm#

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2323661.htm

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a lab report for the F/Si1?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2006 5:28:19 PM
Author:prc
We have been through the 6 week ebay debachle and am trying to steer my fiance toward the Pricescope vendors and toward the wealth of knowledge here. He is trying to steer me toward a local B&M store that seems quite reputable, but I'm not sure of the quality of their stones. And, I'm more concerned about them now because they have GIA appraiser there who is recommending stones to him. The only plus is that the store is running a 30% off sale for the next 3 weeks. The F SI1 .99 ct stone he looked at was priced at $5300 but would be $3710 with the discount. Also, we found a setting there that we liked about a month ago when we took the ebay stone there to get it checked out.

We are planning a trip to the local B&M Saturday. How do I compare the stones we see there with any on the pricescope vendors? Is that possible? What should I ask or look for? I am considering purchasing an ideal scope, but thought the store may have one we could use.

Thanks in advance!

Pam
Pam
ask the vendor for a sarin scan. if this stone is well cut and comes with a GIA report. BUY IT!!!
but....i don't think so.
38.gif

ETA.... don't beleive in those 30% off only for the next 3 week,all B.S.
38.gif
it will still be 30% off 3 months from now and 3 yrs from now.how many times have you seen those (50% off for this weekend only) signs in front of a jewelry store?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So did you in fact get your money back from the ebay crook? I assume that you did inasmuch as you are now looking for a new stone.

I realize that internet shopping may seem a bit daunting but there are hundreds of testimonials on this forum to assure even the most nervous buyer. Purchasing from vendors on this forum is a many time over tried and true method. You can read and find that so many of these stones have gone from the vendor to an appraiser and gotten glowing reports. Your ebay debacle was just that - an ebay debacle. Much different than buying from a reputable vendor.

When making such a large dollar purchase, it is only prudent to shop around and compare prices. Use the tool at the top of this page to look at diamonds from different vendors in your color, clarity and size range. Then you can compare prices to your B&M. If you find a stone that interests you, call the vendor - or better yet - have your BF call them. I think that after talking to them you will feel very confident if you choose to order from them. Be sure that you find a vendor or a B&M with a good trade in policy. Shrinkage sets in - it''s happened to alot of us!

Relax - try to enjoy the experience - and good luck! I''m sure you will find a stone that knocks your socks off!

Small

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=GIA-14741760

http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_825ct_g_si1_h&a.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1948518.htm

Pam,
Wow...I hope this means you got your money back from that shister on EBAY!!!
Anyway, not sure at all what you are looking for in terms of price range so I just did a search and put up a few for you to glance at (I think with GOG they are launching a new internet site so theirs is down at the moment). I think the best thing to do is read the tutorials and learn as much as possible before going to the B&M on Saturday. I wouldn''t just buy right away. See what they have and then have your bf take a look at the diamonds on here and possibly have him talk with some of the vendors. It never hurts to look at all of your options. Even if he feels better about spending more money from a B&M then so be it but make sure you are armed with all of the knowledge possible to get yourself a wonderful diamond for the money
2.gif

Good luck and please let us know how it turns out.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For that .99 at your local B&M, with the current discount, that price is too good to be true.

Just take an idealscope with you, and that will show you more than enough to start.

Live long,

prc

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

We just got the check yesterday, drawn on Bank of America. My BF is taking to get cashed today at the local B of A to make sure the funds are there.

The store had quoted us 15% off last time we were in there looking at the setting. Now it''s 30% off for their 30th anniversary of being in business for the next 30 days. Hokey, I know.

Anyhow, BF is set on going there to buy but I don''t want to get an inferior diamond again. He said, just go look at them and you''ll see their better than the one we had. So, we''re going to look. He said they may have an ideal scope. Do most jewelers? I''ll ask for the lab and Sarin reports too and report back.

I want some stones to show him and compare price and quality. We''re planning to spend $4-$5000 appx total.

Thanks everyone!
Pam

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
Pam

You might be surprised how little the salespeople in jewelry stores know about diamonds - even the very high end stores. (A woman at Tiffany's told me the setting WF had made for me was bad b/c not enough light would be able to get in through the sides of the stone, and that would effect the sparkle - ARE YOU KIDDING?)

Anyway, you are right to be nervous about the quality of most B&M stones - I went to about a million stores (even ones that carried "Hearts on Fire") before buying my ring at WhiteFlash and this thing is the most amazing diamond I have ever seen.

Do everything in your power to convince him to give WF a call - they wil not let you down.

good luck

Mike

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Well, here''s a 0.99 F SI1 AGS0 stone at Blue Nile for $5900. AGS and GIA stones sell for the most, and this one has the 0 cut grade. If it''s not GIA or AGS certed and doesn''t have an ideal cut (going on the crown and pavilion angles), then it will be a lot less than that. For example, here''s a 1.00 F SI1 stone with a crappy cut and an EGL cert (which is still better than one you''ve never heard of but discounted below GIA prices) that''s only $2200. So cert and cut make a HUGE difference. We can''t just show you a 0.99 F SI1 and say that''s what the stone you''re looking at should cost.

Here''s what I would look into for around $4k:

1.04 I SI2 H&A I guarantee you, a well cut I stone will look way better than a mediocre F any day of the week.

0.91 H SI1 H&A

0.90 F SI1 AGS0

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Pam,

Just a reminder, GIA appraiser does not equal GIA Appraisal, especially if they are selling the stones. This is a conflict of interest.

I would go with a reputable online company... they will not disappoint! I bought from superbcert, many here love whiteflash or good old gold or james allen.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pam
if you don''t believe me,you should believe Paul-Antwerp. you''re still looking at too good to be true prices.
38.gif

prc

Rough_Rock
Sorry - I was wrong about the 30% off sale on the loose diamonds - it was only on settings and other jewelry items. (We had received a postcard saying 30% off for 30 days for 30th anniversary and knew he was taking 15% off the setting price previously.) We went back to the jewelry store today and looked at the .97 F SI1 for $5330, and 2 ideal cuts - an H VVS2 1.03 ct priced at $6600 and a 1.22 ct I SI2 at $6200. Admittedly, I couldn''t tell much difference with my inexperienced eyes. My boyfriend seems to be more color-sensitive than me and he didn''t see color in the I stone, nor did I. We like the 1.22 stone but it is over $7,600 (incl tax) with the $1000 setting I like there. That seems pretty outrageous for an I SI2 although it is a nice stone and ideal cut. He is ready to buy next weekend.

I did a quick search here on pricescope for diamonds and saw that these seem quite overpriced in comparison to Whiteflash. BF seems to be not particularly willing to look at WF and wants to buy from the jewelry store. I asked if he''d rather spend $1500 more for a ring from the jewelry store and he said yes, because we can see it, touch it and go there if we have any problems. I feel like we should at least compare with WF.... If we want to see a couple WF diamonds, didn''t someone say they''ll send them to a local appraiser for us to come view them?

Can anyone tell me the benefits of WF''s Hearts & Arrows cut over their Ideal/Expert Selection rounds on Whiteflash? Since I don''t really know what I''m looking for with the hearts and arrows and ideal cut idealscope, can I get some of your opinions on the best stone(s) out of these for the money? If you find any others that are better than these, I''d love to see those too.

These are the ideal/expert selection rounds:
https://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-2128405.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-2045520.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-2045521.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-2318229.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-2173454.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1137369.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1137368.htm

These are the H&As I have saved in my wish list:
https://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1583708.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2323698.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2173438.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1383924.htm

Thanks a million!

Pam

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
those are too many diamonds to compare at once....if you can narrow it down to top 4 or so, people may be able to better help. i wouldn't bother with the first one, it's not an ES, it's a virtual stone that would need to be called in. also the stones you listed are all over the place, from a G VS to a J SI2 and range from $4k-7k which is a large range. figure out what your TOP priorities are for cost and carat and color and clarity (aka i'd really like to have a GIA I SI eye clean as close to 1c or slightly over stone for under $5k) and then you will be able to narrow it down more. having had a G VS1 and then an H SI1 and now a J SI2, i like the H-J colors and SI clarity (saves a bundle) personally in a well-cut stone.

ES vs ACA....the ACA brand is a very precisely cut stone, the ES stones, well many of them were cut to be ACA's but due to some small nuance they did not make it. Having owned ACA's and ES's, I love both of them and visually cannot see one whit of difference in how the stones perform. For me it's just really about inventory, whether the stone I want is in the ES or ACA...as long as the idealscope looks good and it's got the numbers i want, i don't care about ES or ACA even though ES is typically a little bit more affordable since it's not branded.

re: the WF stones being sent to a local appraisal, i know they will send one to an approved independent appraiser and i think you just pay shipping both ways, not sure about two, but maybe...you'd have to ask them what the policy is on that!

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I have to agree with Mara...you are all over the board with clarity and color.
I'm more color sensitive than clarity so for me I'd spend more money on color and less on clarity (meaning I'd find a clean SI for a deal).
If I had to pick out of all the ones you chose I'd choose this one if eye clean:
https://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1137368.htm

It seems reasonable for the money.
Your bf really should just look and talk to someone. I can see why he's hesitant though as your EBAY debacle was a nightmare and that would have turned me off to buying online for good! But with the return policies the way they are isn't it worth it to just look?
Good luck. I hope you don't end up paying retail prices when you could spend money on a fabulous stone with many of the online vendors here!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I agree if you can narrow them down that would be most helpful. The stone that small just posted looks like a winner to me. I would have your BF call WF and have a talk with them. He should give them your parameters on color, clarity, and carat weight. The cut is already there so you don''t have to worry about that so much. Then once you have some sorted out we can go from there. Good luck. You can''t go wrong with WF. I am so sorry about that whole debacle you had with Ebay. But this is a fresh start and you will end up with an amazing stone!!!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Do you live close to a major city? If so, try to visit several stores.

When we got engaged, we were on a super tight budget, so we prioritzed in this order:
1. Cut
2. Size
3. Color
4. Clarity

I went as low as I could possibly go in clarity (I got I1) and color (I got J).
I asked for a Sarin report and ran the numbers through the HCA (Holloway Cut Advisor).
I wish I could find that Sarin report, but I think it scored around 2.7 or so.
I got a gorgeous 1 carat stone (GIA cert.) for $3340.

It can be done!!
I couldn''t convince my sweetie to buy from the internet, either.

Go to the store, look stones, get Sarin reports and compare prices with internet vendors.

That''s what I did. Once I knew what a fair price was, they couldn''t convince me to pay more. They orig. wanted $4300 for the stone I got. My now-husband was pretty impressed with my skills! (and I am not normally good at bartering AT ALL!)

Good luck!!

I hope that e-Bay check clears!!

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Pam,

I been following your Ebay saga, too, and I can''t say how sorry I am that this has had to sully what should be the happiest time in your life. I know you''ll find an excellent stone, be it at WF or at a B&M. If I may add my 2 cents though, after all that is happened, it is probably pretty understandable that your fiance doesn''t want to buy online, and it may be necessary to let him "win" this one. If he genuinely doesn''t mind paying more for what he can walk in and buy, you''ll be no worse off (in theory). Hopefully, he''ll agree to have some stones shipped to an appraiser. Well, I''m no diamond expert, so I can''t really comment on the above stones, but I wish you lots of luck!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results