shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help Finding a Cushion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CourtHorn

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys. I have been in contact with WF to help me find a 1-1.5 carat cushion cut. We have a budget of around 7k for the stone, but that is not too strict
11.gif

Anyway, Bob at WF emailed me a list of a few that fit my parameters (F-G-H) (VS1-2, SI 1-2). I said I wanted it to be eye clean, and he said the definition of SI2 is that it is not eyeclean. Is that true? I thought that some were, but it wasn''t a guarantee.

Here are the best (or at least the biggest
3.gif
) of the list he sent me.

Cushion 1.20 D VS2 GIA 59.2 60 7.03*6.50*3.85 vtn-tk sm gd gd no $6779 $6917 1.08:1
Cushion 1.31 D SI2 GIA 62.5 60 6.83x6.50x4.06 t n-stk f no vg vg no $6026 $6149 1.05:1
Cushion 1.51 H SI2 GIA 63.9 61 7.04x6.40x4.09 m-xtk f no gd vg no $6634 $6769 1.10:1

I know you can''t go by numbers for cushions, but does anything jump out to you cushion experts? Or, have you seen any others that might work for me?
I need to calm down and not rush the process, but I wanna get engaged damnit!
2.gif
So any help would be much appreciated!!

gracie007

Rough_Rock
Those seem like really good prices to me! really good!!!! i am a big big fan of Mark T....so thought i would throw out his name....he finds lots of cushions...

gracie007

Rough_Rock
oh and I am not expert at all- but i think that s12 are not eye clean..i THINK that sI1 are the group that can have some good eyeclean stones...

CourtHorn

Shiny_Rock
I was under the impression I could get an SI2 that was eyeclean. Obviously, WF wouldl have to check it out and everything, but from what they are saying, it seems like I can''t. So does that mean i need to stick with SI1 or above, or should i go with VS2 to be safe?

Nobody has any fabulous cushions for me to check out?
39.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2006 11:12:08 PM
Author: CourtHorn
I was under the impression I could get an SI2 that was eyeclean. Obviously, WF wouldl have to check it out and everything, but from what they are saying, it seems like I can''t. So does that mean i need to stick with SI1 or above, or should i go with VS2 to be safe?

There are SI2 stones that some people believe/perceive to be "eye clean". It depends on the definition. Some folks say "eye clean" is ... no flaws visible to the naked eye from 12 inches. That doesn''t mean -- NOT visible when held right up to your eye & looking for a flaw.

Just clarify the definiation of "eye clean" with whichever vendor you''re working with.

Have you tried Mark T at Engagement Rings Direct? He seems to have a rep for good cushions around here.

CourtHorn

Shiny_Rock
Is it ok to have more than 1 vendor looking for diamonds? It kinda seems like i''d be cheating on Bob at WF or something
11.gif
Also, know i want to have a ring custom made, would Mark T be someone that would be recommended for that?

gracie007

Rough_Rock
I , personally, would not go below SI1, but to each his own!!! I found an awesome diamond I loved, but it had a small inclusion. I found out that it drove me crazy. That being said, everyone does not feel that way.Some feel like it is a special mark on their diamond and helps identify it :) Everyone is different:)
Do not feel like you are cheating, though i understand that feeling :) When looking for a diamond you want the best you can find..When I was looking for a cushion I had like 4 people looking, because it can be tricky finding one that fits your type. I am pretty sure mark T does settings and bands....he sent some diamonds to us -to a jewleler friend of his in dallas- and that jeweler is actually making the band- they are friends..but I knwo some people here have had him do their rings and they are so pretty!Good luck and keep us posted!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Just thought I would chime in...I now own a lovely cushion that I got from Good Old Gold...they were wonderful and super professional to work with. Don''t feel bad about checking with other vendors...its YOUR money and YOUR diamond...shopping for a diamond is hard work, I should know. Be very clear to those with whom you are working with and just share with them the info they need to help you. Remember, they are the ones doing the search but you need to give them the criteria so that they can find your dream diamond. Whether it be Mark T. or Good Old Gold or Whiteflash, be patient with yourself and them and you will find what you are looking for.

BTW, my cushion is a SI2, H in color and is 1.21 in size. The inclusions are nil and were placed in such a manner that even for the appraiser they were not easily found and did nothing to detract from the performance of the diamond. It appears eye clean and is a very nice find. I had a very tight budget and ended up with a great stone. Is it my dream stone? Most likely not and I knew that going into this purchase. I plan to trade in and up at some point, but it sure sings and sparkles pretty and I get plenty of compliments from people, including jewelers.

Just my 2 cents...don''t discount ALL SI2 diamonds! Cushions are very individual...
emotion-5.gif

CourtHorn

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Deanna! Your new ring is gorgeous! I didn''t want to count out all SI2''s, so i am glad that you gave me the advice you did. i will keep my options open.

CourtHorn

Shiny_Rock
Ok. Bob said the one he liked the best was the smallest one-
Cushion 1.20 D VS2 GIA 59.2 60 7.03*6.50*3.85 vtn-tk sm gd gd no $6779 $6917 1.08:1
Does anyone see any red flags with this one?

According to the measurements, it''s about the same size as the 1.5. It has better color and clarity and it''s about the same price. Should I have them bring it in?

rubybrierley

Rough_Rock
Another vote for Mark T with cushions - he selected mine...I''m in Australia so it would have been a huge hassle to return it. Ask about the very thin girdle on that stone...not such a great thing. Def give Mark a call, his service is absolutely faultless and he''s extremely patient with very very fussy customers!

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have any knowledge on cushions but I just wanted to say that as a fellow SI2 owner of now 2 stones I'd say to take a chance and check them out. They can be of great value if you can find an 'eye clean' stone...they are out there you just have to search for them. I have a D si2 marquise (picture in SMTR) and am awaiting my RB .92 G si2 stone (inclusion is pronged). The RB can hide the flaws better than my marquise and I've had SEVERAL jewelers compliment me on my marquise and tell me they can only find the flaws with the loupe. Also...it's going to depend on black or white inclusions. I'm not a fan of the black inclusion so if it's an SI and black I'd pass. Both of my stones have white inclusions.
Just be diligent and ask as many questions as you can. Don't be afraid to go with more than one vendor. I've read enough threads around here to know that all the ones recommended are top notch (Mark T, GOG, and ofcourse WF). I'd at least check with Mark T...seems like alot of cushion owners got their's from him. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results