shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help Fast!! Thanks in Advance.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chris0229

Rough_Rock
Hello all - would have been nice had I discovered this forum a week ago or so, but....I'm thinking of purchasing this stone:

$5,500
ROUND BRILLIANT
Measurements 6.93-6.99x4.38mm
Weight 1.33 carat
Depth 62.9%
Table 61%
Girdle Medium to Thick Faceted
Culet None
Polish Good
Symmetry Good
Clarity SI-1
Color I
Fluorescence None
Comments Additional clouds are not shown.

This stone was GIA certified in 2001, so I dont have a cut analysis. Would this qualify as Excellent, Very Good, or Good. I'm thinking Good. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot in advance.

-Chris

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
Hi Chris:

Glad you found pricescope! Welcome!
35.gif

In order to help you evaluate the cut quality of a diamond, the folks here will need more information about the diamond''s angles and % than is provided on a GIA cert.

Have you had the chance to look at the pricescope tutorial on cut? Goodoldgold.com (a vendor that comes highly recommended here) also has a very informative section of their site discussing "The 4C''s and beyond." Taking a look at these sites is probably a good starting point.

Have you seen the stone in person? If so, how does it look to you?

Good luck!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
It sounds a bit deep and table seems rather large to me.
40.gif

BTW, Welcome to Pricescope!
35.gif

chris0229

Rough_Rock
I have seen it and it looks really nice, but I'm no expert.

If the GIA report doesn't include pavilion angles, etc., how can the Cut be judged??

thanks for the welcome!
1.gif

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/6/2006 3:59:47 PM
Author: Wren
It sounds a bit deep and table seems rather large to me.
40.gif

BTW, Welcome to Pricescope!
35.gif
My thoughts exactly! But the numbers aren''t everything. If you''ve looked around and compared and this is the diamond that you keep coming back to then maybe this is the one for you.
Good luck with your search! It can be a daunting task but once you find the diamond you really want, it''ll all be worth it!
1.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
If the stone is loose, you can have someone run a Sarin report to ascertain the relevant angles to determine cut.

The table is large, and the depth is too deep for me.

Also, the medium to thick girdle can hide a bit of carat weight if there is a decent percentage of the girdle being thick.

Also, usually ideal cut diamonds are at least "very good" for the symmetry and polish. Although arguably, a layperson probably can''t tell the difference.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Take a look at this stone: LINK

chris0229

Rough_Rock
I think I probably quality as a layperson!!

So would I see a big difference between this diamond and a diamond with slightly different table and depth proportions?

And what about the price, $5,500, does that seem about right?

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I''m just saying that you would not see a difference in polish and symmetry. But you will definitely see a difference between an average cut stone and an ideal cut stone (such as the one I posted from WF).

Personally, I wouldn''t buy this stone unless I knew it was an ideal cut stone. Remember, CUT is king.

chris0229

Rough_Rock
Wow - I ran those numbers for the link you provided on GIA''s cut estimator and it came back Excellent.

But what is "A Cut Above H&A"? Never heard of that.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2006 4:23:11 PM
Author: chris0229
Wow - I ran those numbers for the link you provided on GIA''s cut estimator and it came back Excellent.

But what is ''A Cut Above H&A''? Never heard of that.
It''s WhiteFlash''s branded H&A (hearts & arrows) cut. It''s just their brand name, but they sure are GORGEOUS
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

chris0229

Rough_Rock
OK - I''m very glad I asked because I haven''t purchased the diamond yet.

So the link you provided - $5,940 with an AGS report (looks Ideal) - this diamond is going to blow away the one I was thinking of purchasing?

And what about ordering this diamond online? Is there any risk in that?

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2006 4:31:14 PM
OK - I'm very glad I asked because I haven't purchased the diamond yet.

So the link you provided - $5,940 with an AGS report (looks Ideal) - this diamond is going to blow away the one I was thinking of purchasing?

Let me say this: The WF stone is going to be GORGEOUS. Because we don't know the cut quality of the GIA stone you were looking at, I don't want to say the WF stone will definitely blow it away. However, if I were a betting woman, I would place money that one look at the WF stone and the GIA stone side by side, you would definitely choose the WF stone.

WF has a ten day return policy. Can you buy the WF stone and then compare it to the GIA stone? Or can you get a Sarin run on the GIA stone?

As for buying online, WF is superb. Search on PS for reviews. Also, CALL THEM. They are fantastic on the phone. Ask them about this stone and others they may have that are similar. I cannot say enough about how wonderful they are on the phone with customer service.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2006 4:31:14 PM
18.gif
Hold on while I wipe the drool off my chin.... um, yeah. That one''s pretty yummy.
I''ve yet to hear anything bad about WhiteFlash, and I''m strongly encouraging my bf to go with them for our e-ring.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Also, I believe WF offers a slight discount if you mention PS. Just an FYI.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
chris:
my FI bought my princess stone e-ring thru WF, and would gladly recommend them to others.

The stone that rascal linked to is GORGEOUS! I really think you can''t go wrong with it. GIVE THEM A CALL, and ask if the stone is eye-clean. it looks so from the image, but it doesn''t hurt to ask! also, you would get a pricescope discount- it''s usually around 5%- they will confirm for you.

BTW- what kind of setting are you going with? They have a great selection.

GOOD LUCK!

cg

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Thank you CG, I am running on the assumption that WF will tell you whether this stone is eye clean. It looks like it, but you never know. Also, they can point you to similar stones in your price range if this stone isn''t for you.

chris0229

Rough_Rock
Well, now I am REALLY glad I posted. The discount brought that diamond down to the $5,500 level, same as the one I was considering. Everyone on the forum (in addiiton to the nice lady at WF) say it will blow the other diamond away.

I think i''m going to go with the WF diamond.

chris0229

Rough_Rock
And thanks alot for your help everyone. Rascal - I think you saved me from making a regrettable decision with the other diamond. I think the WF diamond will be beautiful. Thanks alot.
2.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Yay Chris!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I'm sure you will not be disappointed!!

Now remember, we here on PS NEED, no REQUIRE, pics of the finished ring
2.gif
31.gif

ETA: I see the diamond is officially "sold," I sure hope it was you Chris
1.gif

chris0229

Rough_Rock
I guess that''ll be my next trick. The diamond dealer I was buying the stone and setting from was giving me a great deal on the setting. That''ll probably go south now that I''m not buying the stone from him.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Well we are just as good at finding settings as we are with diamonds
2.gif

Let us know what you are looking for, and I''m sure we can at least help a bit
1.gif

Also, WF is awesome with settings too. There are tons of pics here on PS in the "ShowMeTheRing" forum.

chris0229

Rough_Rock
The setting had four round cut diamonds, two on each side of the center stone. Each stone was .20 carats, I color, SI1 clarity, normal stones. He was charging me $270 for it. Problem is - i put down a $200 deposit.

I know, I know - rookie move, right!!!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Wow $270?! Yeah, I can't match that price LOL.

Talk to the jeweler about the deposit on the ring. I wonder how much he would charge now since you are not buying the stone from them. I also wonder what the cut quality of the stones are for that price!

chris0229

Rough_Rock
Well, my guess is that it wont be $270 tomorrow when I tell him I''m not buying his hurting diamond but im ordering it online instead.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad you are going with the WF stone. Wise choice. Good work Rascal!!!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2006 5:24:20 PM
Well, my guess is that it wont be $270 tomorrow when I tell him I''m not buying his hurting diamond but im ordering it online instead.
LOL, well please let us know what he says tomorrow! I sure hope you can at least get the deposit back.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
YES!!!!! shay37 high-fives Rascal on a great find and Chris for jumping on it. Way to go.

shay

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2006 6:19:38 PM
SOLD!!!

1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
Yay!!
36.gif
36.gif

And thanks Shay
1.gif
I just know Chris will love this stone! And if he doesn''t, well he can just send that baby right over to me
2.gif
3.gif
hehe

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results