shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help fast--prongs flat or split?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Mounting is underway and was done bearing only a slight resemblance to my original design. I am working with them to salvage it w/o starting over. Dilemma: 3 carat EC (1.35 ratio) currently set with flat foldover prongs --supposed to be split
emangry.gif
. Flanked by 1.5 carats (4 stones total tapering down) of trapezoids set in a milgrained plat bezel. Lots of flat planes of diamond-rather severe, deco?? Would split prongs at this point look weird. I think it might lighten it up? Thoughts???????????

I know the verbal description is tough.

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
I would go for split. But that is just what I like. Your taste might be different. Follow what your heart says, don''t listen to anyone.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hmm. In my opinion, there is one man who can give us split prongs like they should look. That''s leon. Every other time I see the attempt, they don''t look good. So I say flat.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2005 11
6.gif
1:15 AM
Author: Feydakin
I''ll restate what I said yesterday.. Get what YOU want.. Not what they are trying to talk you into to save them some work and money.. Period..

Besides that, I like split prongs, but they do require some skill to make.. Perhaps that is why you got flat prongs the first time around??
are all split prongs pointed like claws--?

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2005 11:12:35 AM
Author: moremoremore
Hmm. In my opinion, there is one man who can give us split prongs like they should look. That''s leon. Every other time I see the attempt, they don''t look good. So I say flat.
leon is doing it

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the look of split prongs, but know they can be tricky to make! Go with what you really want. Good luck!
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I don''t think all split prongs are shaped like claws.

WS, the jeweler really should get you what you wanted and agreed upon. I don''t see why you have to settle for something different and think you should stand your ground.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2005 11:18:42 AM
Author: Chrono
No, I don't think all split prongs are shaped like claws.

WS, the jeweler really should get you what you wanted and agreed upon. I don't see why you have to settle for something different and think you should stand your ground.
I know--I am trying. However I recogize that SOME of what he did is very nice so in the end it may be that much better if he will do the rest.............however the setting changed so much that I am not sure my orginal split prongs will look as good.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
What does Leon think?

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
who knows...he did what he wanted. the ring looks nothing like the design we gave to him--modelled on one of his own i might add. i am not dealing with him directly the diamond vendor is talking to him as its being done through them with him

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i like split if they can be done right and look delicate vs bulky, but yes i agree, be sure it''s what you want! you are paying for it!

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
well i decided on bead set then split right above the girdle and pointed

solange

Brilliant_Rock
At this point, Is it not possible for the jeweler to put you in direct contact with the designer instead of having information going through a third party? Since he obviously took liberties with your design and money, perhaps you would have better input if you deal directly with him to reach a conclusion as to what he can and cannot do with the existing setting in order to satisfy you.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
No, not all split prongs are claws. Also, contrary to Moremoremore''s opinion, my ring has split prongs (not claws) that are fabulous, IMO. Personally, I don''t care for flat prongs. Get what you want, as Steve said. There is no right or wrong answer, only what you like.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2005 3:56
6.gif
6 PM
Author: headlight
No, not all split prongs are claws. Also, contrary to Moremoremore''s opinion, my ring has split prongs (not claws) that are fabulous, IMO. Personally, I don''t care for flat prongs. Get what you want, as Steve said. There is no right or wrong answer, only what you like.
Headlight:

do you have a picture of your ring? I decided on bead set and split prongs...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results