shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help deciding on Transportation options

Which commute option would you pick?

• The bright red scooter! So cute!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • The eco and waist friendly electric bike! So Oregon!

• Park and walk/bike, why spend money if you don''t have to?

• There''s got to be another option

• Wait, don''t you and your DH work right next to each other? Get a prius and share!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
So I''m being terribly indecisive and I need your help! I live so close to work that driving seems wasteful not to mention terribly hard on my poor car. Besides, I can''t park anywhere close to my end destination so I''m either walking or biking the last .8 miles anyway.

I can, however, park a bike or a scooter right near my building. However I live up an extremely steep hill, 17% - 22% grade. (Plus I''m overweight and out of shape) And the winter is supposed to be very rainy in this region (newly moved so I have no experience with it yet). On the plus side, the roads between home and work are very quiet residential streets.

Well to cut a long story short... I''ve got three options:

1) A 100 cc bright red Aprilia Scarbreo Scooter. Pros: Easy to use, easy to see by other drivers, big headlamp for night driving, easy to park, cuts commute to just over 5 minutes there and maybe 10 minutes back, way better than prius gas milage, theoretically (not tested) can get up the hill at close to the speed limit which improves saftey. Cons: Still takes gas so not the most eco-friendly option, does nothing to improve my health, DH is concerned I might take it farther afield and get munched (he frequently refers to motorcycle riders as organ-donors on wheels), can''t use bike lanes, needs a motorcycle license.

2) Electric-assist bike like the eZee Forte pedal-activated bike with an 8-speed internal hub. Pros: Great for the enviroment (plug-in Lithium-Ion battery, and we pay extra for ''green'' electricity), great for my health (still have to pedal), can use bike lanes and bike parking, cheaper, blends in better with friends, can use for recreational riding around town without worrying DH (why he thinks I''m safer on a grey bike than a faster, bright red, scooter is questionable... hmm maybe it''s the faster part). Cons: Can only handle a 12% or less grade so would have to take long route on the way home which is 2/3rds longer. (2.5 miles), Takes closer to 15 minutes there and who knows how long home, get at destination sweaty, not as visible to cars.

3) Continue to either drive 3 minutes to parking and walk (20 minutes) or bike (15 minutes) to destination, and then take a long, scenic way home to prevent car battery from dying. Honestly, due to the fact that I always run late what actually happens most of the time is that I try for the closer metered parking which costs $5+ a day, and is half the time restricted for an event so I often end up parking a 15 minute walk away anyway. (and then have to walk back during lunch to put more coins in)

I''ve been waffling over making a decision on this for a couple of months now.
23.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Wait, what was that prius option?

Well, DH works a few blocks from me, and has a special parking permit so he can park near his office. We don''t usually have the same schedule though.
We could get a prius which would handle the short distance much better, put a permanant bike rack on the hitch (if they have a hitch thingy), and then the early person can bike down. The other one can drive down later. Since I always leave several hours earlier than him I can take the car home (with maybe my bike on the back) and then come back down later to pick him up from work.

Flaw: sharing a car could cause some real friction. Requires me to be available to pick him up. Also prevents me from starting dinner as he heads home.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
The electric bike

eZee-forte-300.jpg

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
The scooter:

a_scarabeo_100_profile_red_225.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is wrong w/walking to work and walking back home? I love all the options but I personally would walk and you would build great leg muscles walking up the hill.
31.gif
9.gif
Indie, this is such a fun thread. hehee I like the pictures.
3.gif

Or bike to work and walk up the hill w/the bike.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
A) I'm lazy
B) That'd take at least 30 minutes there and more back
C) Did I mention the near-constant rain?

ETA:
D) So far biking and walking back up the hill with the bike has resulted in the spouse doing so staggering home, and then lying down on the living room floor for half an hour. Yes, we're really really out of shape... but it's also a really really evil hill.
9.gif
I wish I could... but it's rather unlikely on a regular basis.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2007 6:14:12 PM
Author: IndieJones
A) I'm lazy
B) That'd take at least 30 minutes there and more back
C) Did I mention the near-constant rain?
Well then the electric bike.
9.gif

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Would the near-constant rain be a problem with the bike or the scooter? Back when I walked or biked each day, I always walked if there was a chance of rain because then I could be covered by an umbrella.

BTW, I think that it''s great that you''re thinking of the environmental impact of your commute options.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2007 6:28:05 PM
Author: Blenheim
Would the near-constant rain be a problem with the bike or the scooter? Back when I walked or biked each day, I always walked if there was a chance of rain because then I could be covered by an umbrella.

BTW, I think that it''s great that you''re thinking of the environmental impact of your commute options.

Honestly, I don''t really know, so far the fall has been rather dry for the region. I''m told it usually is a steady and fairly gentle rain (for weeks on end). I guess I''ve been figuring that I''m going to get wet no matter what, and it''s really just degrees of wetness.
I have ridden my bike in the rain, and it''s not that bad. My legs do tend to get fairly damp if it''s raining hard. People apparently put a plastic baggie over the seat when they park their bikes, but so far I just wipe it off or try to get the covered bike parking. I''d probably be less wet on a scooter since I can put a cover on it while it''s parked, plus I can wear a longer coat. (long live gortex)

Technically rain won''t damage the bike or the scooter. (I checked because of the bike''s battery)

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
I think the bike is a good option. Nothing like a good bike ride with a little extra help on the peddling part, right?

Also, I''m terrified of scooters.
38.gif
Around here, it seems like so many are risking their lives because cars rarely slow down for them, and instead whizz right on by, leaving little space. Illegal or not, it happens all the time. Maybe the same is not the case where you live.

Why does your car''s battery almost die every day? I''ve never heard of that being a problem before.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2007 6:45:00 PM
Author: fisherofmengirly
I think the bike is a good option. Nothing like a good bike ride with a little extra help on the peddling part, right?

Also, I''m terrified of scooters.
38.gif
Around here, it seems like so many are risking their lives because cars rarely slow down for them, and instead whizz right on by, leaving little space. Illegal or not, it happens all the time. Maybe the same is not the case where you live.

Why does your car''s battery almost die every day? I''ve never heard of that being a problem before.

Hmm, good point on the scooter, I find them a bit intimidating too. I tried this scooter in the store''s parking lot and found it comfortable and easy to manage. The larger scooters just terrified me!
I think I''m suppose to act like a car when driving one and be in the same part of the lane as a car, as opposed to a bike which is in the bike lane most of the time.

Well, apparently my turbo car doesn''t appreciate being driven for four minutes at a time. Including time spent at a stop light... and not getting above 20 mph. Go figure.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
What is a turbo car? I must be out of the loop on these things. And Paul''s not here to ask.
9.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2007 6:08:50 PM
Author: IndieJones
Wait, what was that prius option?

Well, DH works a few blocks from me, and has a special parking permit so he can park near his office. We don''t usually have the same schedule though.
We could get a prius which would handle the short distance much better, put a permanant bike rack on the hitch (if they have a hitch thingy), and then the early person can bike down. The other one can drive down later. Since I always leave several hours earlier than him I can take the car home (with maybe my bike on the back) and then come back down later to pick him up from work.

Flaw: sharing a car could cause some real friction. Requires me to be available to pick him up. Also prevents me from starting dinner as he heads home.
Without knowing the details of this option, this is what I voted for. I can see the pluses and minuses of all of your options. The scooter is really nice but honestly, they make me nervous. I also think that it would make me nervous to use it on a hill, but that might be silly. Walking seems like the best option, health-wise, but I totally know what you mean about the laziness factor.
9.gif

Is there anyone at work that you could carpool with? That way, you''re only driving part of the time and there doesn''t have to be any friction between you and your husband.
1.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2007 7:12:34 PM
Author: fisherofmengirly
What is a turbo car? I must be out of the loop on these things. And Paul''s not here to ask.
9.gif

Oh, er... dont know how to describe it, I''m not very mechanically inclined. It''s a turbo-charged engine for an extra boost in acceleration and a more steady torque curve. I''ve been given to understand that short distances are harder on that type of engine since it takes longer to warm up and something involving condensation.

Whatever it is, after a day or two of this itty commute the poor thing just doesn''t want to start. I haven''t had a dead battery yet... just a reluctant one. So when that happens I just go run an errand that''s farther away, and that fixes it.
DH says that any damage done to the engine will be long-term not short, so I shouldn''t worry about it since by the time the wear impacts the car it''d be someone else''s problem.

No matter what I decide about bike vs scooter vs parking and walking, I may end up getting a prius anyway. I feel sorta guilty about my car. I bought it because I enjoy driving and I had a commute that involved a long, high speed drive with a nice twisty road. Now the poor thing never gets above 30mph! It may just be sulking.
2.gif
31.gif

laine

Brilliant_Rock
I once lived somewhere where I could bike in (sort of), and though I did so on occasion, it really didn''t work out as an all-the-time option. I was limited in what shoes I could wear, I always had to roll up my pant leg to keep it out of the chain, I ended up sweaty, if roads were wet I had that stream of water sprayed up my back. So though it works for some, it didn''t for me. I''m not sure how much the electric bike would improve upon these issues--I''ve never tried one.

As for the Prius, its my understanding that they really aren''t nearly as environmentally friendly as they''re made out to be. The energy cost to create them is higher than regular cars, and the fuel savings/mpg is rarely as high as the car makers claim. So between that and the friction of sharing, I''d veto that option.

In theory, I like the scooter idea, but it practice, it could end up scary with crazy drivers and such. Is there anyway you could rent or borrow a scooter and try your commute for a few days to see how it goes before you commit? I might try to do the same with the electric bike, if you can. The weather thing throws another kink in--it would suck to make a decision, purchase something, and find it just isn''t going to work with the rain. Yeah, so I''m not sure I helped at all here, but there''s all my thoughts, for what it''s worth.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2007 7:37:19 PM
Author: laine
I once lived somewhere where I could bike in (sort of), and though I did so on occasion, it really didn''t work out as an all-the-time option. I was limited in what shoes I could wear, I always had to roll up my pant leg to keep it out of the chain, I ended up sweaty, if roads were wet I had that stream of water sprayed up my back. So though it works for some, it didn''t for me. I''m not sure how much the electric bike would improve upon these issues--I''ve never tried one.

As for the Prius, its my understanding that they really aren''t nearly as environmentally friendly as they''re made out to be. The energy cost to create them is higher than regular cars, and the fuel savings/mpg is rarely as high as the car makers claim. So between that and the friction of sharing, I''d veto that option.

In theory, I like the scooter idea, but it practice, it could end up scary with crazy drivers and such. Is there anyway you could rent or borrow a scooter and try your commute for a few days to see how it goes before you commit? I might try to do the same with the electric bike, if you can. The weather thing throws another kink in--it would suck to make a decision, purchase something, and find it just isn''t going to work with the rain. Yeah, so I''m not sure I helped at all here, but there''s all my thoughts, for what it''s worth.

That is really helpful! Thank you.

I didn''t know that about the prius cars.

As for the biking issues: A cover over the back wheel prevents the strip up the back issue. Most commuter bikes have them. The eZee torq has an internal gear hub so no need to roll up one''s pants leg. (it really is annoying to do that!)

I was looking for some extra pictures to put up and came across one with a Torq that had a ''personal rain canopy''! Cool, but would probably last .02 secs around here. (The only thing stolen more frequently than bikes are bike parts! I see people walking around with their bike seats all the time)

ezeetorquewrain.jpg

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can speak a little about the Prius.

My FI has one, as do my sister and her husband. They have one with all the bells and whistles...GPS and other features. My FI''s is more of the basic model types, but he really likes it even without the fancier add-ons. As for the gas mileage...I think the problem is that while it is possible to get the type of mileage that Toyota claims, it''s somewhat unrealistic to think that one would drive as slow as recommended. If you follow the driving recommendations to the T, sure, you''ll probably get what is advertised. That hasn''t really bothered my family or my FI though. The only thing, style-wise that is hard to get used to is the back windshield. For some reason, they designed it so that it''s kind of hard to see. It''s a hatchback and the visibility isn''t the greatest...at least to me (I''m only 4''9", so I often have visibility issues
1.gif
). Having said all of that, I do really like the car, and I drive my FI''s without any problems. While the visibility does take some getting used to, it''s fine, and I don''t have any problems. If you test-drive one, let me know what you see/notice about that. I''m curious to see what others think.

For what it''s worth, there are other hybrid cars you could consider. I don''t know of any, and I do seem to notice more priuses out there. It could just be because they''re more unique-looking.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Another thing to think about with the Prius... will you drive enough to recharge the battery? The car will run on electric power for most of your short commute, I assume, but if you don''t brake enough, you won''t be able to benefit from the battery being charged... I found a quick link to explain it here but I know there is more info out there. It sounds like you would be a prime candidate for an electric car. Too bad we can''t get those anymore.
Watch "Who Killed the Electric Car" if you want to get angry!

Are you near a bus route by any chance?

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Well, going to my parking would probably kill off a prius''s battery. DH''s parking is 9 stopsigns and a stoplight away and hasn''t done anything nasty to his car''s battery yet. And he does fewer errands than I do!

I''ve been thinking about how I would use a scooter versus a e-bike outside of the commute.

We have a little market nearby that I frequently run down to in the evenings for dinner fixings or the forgotten ingredient. (again, close enough to be very hard on a car) I think I''d use the scooter for that, since I''d feel fairly safe on it even during the night. The aprilia has a little hook for grocery bags, and I never come home with more than two bags anyway. I don''t think I''d use the bike for that because lazyness combined with the much longer route home and dark would discourage me.

However if I had the bike, I''d be far more likely to do recreational things on it. Especially if I could then convince DH to get one. If we both had one we could easily bike to things on the weekends. hmmm.
33.gif
34.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I would share a care with DH and keep a bike in the trunk. The person who works latest gets to ride the bike home! lol

Or I''d just continue to drive to work and use the bike to ride the rest of the way to the building.

What''s wrong with your car? Can it be fixed?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you find something? The poll shows the electric bike winning. hehe

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Hi IndieJones,

I just came across this thread and thought perhaps sharing my experiences as a former scooter owner might help.

The university I attended was in a very hilly area and had very limited automobile parking options. For a while, I either walked to classes (40 hilly minutes each way and arrived everywhere sweaty) or tried parking (often not finding available meters and arriving late for classes). After a while I broke down and bought a scooter similar in size to what you''re thinking and it was great!

First off, I try to be eco-conscious when reasonable. If memory serves, my scooter got something like 80 miles on a tank... and a tank-full was about 1 gallon! Heck, not even the Prius of today can compare to that on its most efficient setting. Also, in certain jurisdictions, smaller scooters can be ridden in bike lanes; you''ll have to check with your state''s DMV on the cutoff cc size. For me, I rode my scooter in ways somewhat similar to how I would have ridden a bike: though there were no bike lanes, I stayed in the slow lane, didn''t lane split, and didn''t take it on highways.

If you had both the scooter and the bike in the same situation, the scooter would be safer: you can escalate out of bad situations faster, the fatter tires have better balance, and you don''t have to ride it on the edge of the road where people can open their car doors in front of you. It''s when people treat scooters more like a motorcycle or car (weaving in and out of traffic, not minding whether they''re in someone''s blind spot, going 60m.p.h. so the physics involved change) that the scooter becomes more dangerous.

Anyhow, when you mention hilliness, eco-consciousness, the ability to park it at the door, desire to not arrive sweaty, pre-existing tendency to already arrive late, and massive time-savings in taking a scooter, the scooter seems to be the winner based on my experiences.

Well that, and it''s cute as can be in the photos....
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results