shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help deciding on three MRBs

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I’m thinking of going up a size from my initial purchase and need your expertise on these three that I’ve narrowed down. They are all within the recommended proportions. Let me know what you think or whether anything needs further investigation (I.e., signs of possible leakage, digging, twisting, etc).

I’m currently leaning towards the first one. Curious whether that 12 o clock slight misalignment of the arrow shaft to head is due to diamond tilt.

Thanks All :).

Attachments

• Image 2-7-24 at 9.43 AM.jpeg
    Image 2-7-24 at 9.43 AM.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only see 1 picutre

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
I only see 1 picutre

Hi lovedogs, if you click on the attachment there are three side by side. Let me know if you still can’t see it so I can re-upload them individually.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have certs for these three diamonds?

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
Do you have certs for these three diamonds?

I unfortunately haven’t yet placed holds so I didn’t upload the specs. I believe I can release these without risking sniping:

first one, CA 35 PA 40.6

Second one, CA 35 PA 40.8

Third one, CA 35 PA 40.8

Hope this helps.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know the vendor and I think you can put up to 3 stones on hold at a time. Can you ask them to hold and then we can see videos?

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
I know the vendor and I think you can put up to 3 stones on hold at a time. Can you ask them to hold and then we can see videos?

I’ll check with the vendor and hopefully send the links soon.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Just on the en face images, I like the center one the best. But videos would be useful to look for blue nuance, tinges, graining, etc.

nichoesq

Rough_Rock

Here are the links:

Should the “I” color be something to be concerned about in the 2.34? The 2.01 appears to have more life under the table but that returned with HCA with scintillation rated at “very good.” Overall, the 2.14 appears brighter/whiter per the video - not sure whether JA uses the same lighting in all their videos but was wondering if it could be associated with the 61.1 depth?.

Last edited:

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
Just on the en face images, I like the center one the best. But videos would be useful to look for blue nuance, tinges, graining, etc.

That one is labeled as a hearts by JA and has IS and Hearts view in the link I’ve posted. What did you like about the 2.34 that stood out to you?

Last edited:

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@nichoesq First I have to say that I forgot we were in mined land and not lab land, so some of the things I mentioned don’t apply.

On that one single static view, I felt that the areas under the table was more uniform. But these are all great stones, and a diamond doesn’t stay completely still (and neither do eyes, for that matter).

E and H/I are big differences. It’s a matter of taste. I’m curled to see what the experts say. I like all three of these.

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
@nichoesq First I have to say that I forgot we were in mined land and not lab land, so some of the things I mentioned don’t apply.

On that one single static view, I felt that the areas under the table was more uniform. But these are all great stones, and a diamond doesn’t stay completely still (and neither do eyes, for that matter).

E and H/I are big differences. It’s a matter of taste. I’m curled to see what the experts say. I like all three of these.

The E color just so happened to accompany the diamond. I don’t mind H on my current 1.22 but not sure how an H or I will look on a diamond about double that size. Additionally, I’ve heard there is a spectrum of more or less color even within grades.

Per the video, the yellow in the H and I are definitely noticeable compared to the E, when observed from the underside of the diamond. I wouldn’t mind H again but also want a second opinion - I do feel wary about going down to an I at these sizes.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Color is so personal. Some ppl love warmer stones. Others love whiter ones. You don’t want to look down every time and think, “I wish it were ______.” You want to love it.

You’ll only be viewing from above, but it needs to be mind clean for you.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
With all due respect to @0515vision you will view it from the side all the time.
I can tell you from personal experience of having all three of those colors in over 2ct size you will see color way more than in your current stone. There is a huge difference between H and I and that E stone. They are worlds apart and, while the E is the smallest of the 3, it will have an added element that really makes a significant impact. As example, I have a BGD super ideal in the higher 2ct range that is H but I wear a much smaller 2ct that is just a 3X but E color every time I go to my rings each day because that color just kicks butt!

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
With all due respect to @0515vision you will view it from the side all the time.
I can tell you from personal experience of having all three of those colors in over 2ct size you will see color way more than in your current stone. There is a huge difference between H and I and that E stone. They are worlds apart and, while the E is the smallest of the 3, it will have an added element that really makes a significant impact. As example, I have a BGD super ideal in the higher 2ct range that is H but I wear a much smaller 2ct that is just a 3X but E color every time I go to my rings each day because that color just kicks butt!

I do anticipate to see more color from the sides considering there is more surface area in 2ct vs 1ct. I’m getting it for my fiancé and just want to make sure it’s the perfect ring that’ll potentially be the last (no upgrades in the future).

Thanks for the insight headlight.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
What is the size (actually if you have the mm size) of the current stone?

(As an FYI, no promises on the last upgrade lol!)

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
What is the size (actually if you have the mm size) of the current stone?

(As an FYI, no promises on the last upgrade lol!)

6.8ish mm. So definitely substantially smaller than a 2ct. Lol we’ll see if this is the last upgrade or not.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, @headlight, so true!
I completely forgot that I look at my solitaire from the side all the time. I was distracted by OP’s use of the word “underside” lol

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have an opinion on which of the three might be a better choice?

Last edited:

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
Looking at the 2.14, the concern I have is the CA 40.6, and face up and slight rotation of the diamond video shows more obstruction under the table than some others. Should this be an issue?

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I really really doubt it. All the angles need to work in concert with each other, and they aren’t necessarily absolute problems at this level of detail. I think that’s a beautiful stone. It’s like the Goldilocks of color and size.

Tagging @Kim N and @DejaWiz. Any insights into the above three stones?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I really really doubt it. All the angles need to work in concert with each other, and they aren’t necessarily absolute problems at this level of detail. I think that’s a beautiful stone. It’s like the Goldilocks of color and size.

It's possible that the 2.14 may have a bit of added obstruction since the pavilion depth has an averaged and rounded figure of 42.5% instead of 43%, meaning that some of the actuals could be as shallow as 40.4ish.

nichoesq

Rough_Rock

Thanks for tagging them in 0515vision. Just spoke with a JA gemologist and they are of the opinion that the 2.01 is the best of the three based on the fire and sparkle they can see in the videos (I.e., there is more color flashing throughout and the vibrancy of the colors). This one is 2k more than the 2.14.

They felt the 2.34 was the worst as they saw light leakage. They cut this one.

The 2.14 they did not like the black inclusion on the table for the price despite it being eye clean according to them.

Would love additional thoughts if any of the other experts here at PS could give me your wisdom. Lol

Last edited:

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
It's possible that the 2.14 may have a bit of added obstruction since the pavilion depth has an averaged and rounded figure of 42.5% instead of 43%, meaning that some of the actuals could be as shallow as 40.4ish.

I think I’ve read somewhere below 40.5 or 40.4 is not desirable due to it being too contrasty and therefore dark.

Edited: I see what you mean.

Any opinions on the three selections. JA gemologist thinks the 2.01 is the best out of the three.

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for tagging them in 0515vision. Just spoke with a JA gemologist and they are of the opinion that the 2.01 is the best of the three based on the fire and sparkle they can see in the videos (I.e., there is more color flashing throughout and the vibrancy of the colors). This one is 2k more than the 2.14.

They felt the 2.34 was the worst as they saw light leakage. They cut this one.

The 2.14 they did not like the black inclusion on the table for the price despite it being eye clean according to them.

Would love additional thoughts if any of the experts can chime in.

I like the 2.01 best as well.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of these three, for my money the 2.01. Whiter is brighter and brighter looks bigger. It’s the smallest of the three but the E color wins the day for me!

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
I like the 2.01 best as well.

Thanks Kim. Do you mind explaining why and is it by a far margin? The extra money for the 2.01 considering the upcoming wedding expenses is what makes me ask.

nichoesq

Rough_Rock
Of these three, for my money the 2.01. Whiter is brighter and brighter looks bigger. It’s the smallest of the three but the E color wins the day for me!

How can you tell that the diamond is brighter on the 2.01? Is it based on less obstruction?

nichoesq

Rough_Rock

How can you tell that the diamond is brighter on the 2.01? Is it based on less obstruction?

Never mind, I think I get what you were saying. Thanks Bonfire

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I think I’ve read somewhere below 40.5 or 40.4 is not desirable due to it being too contrasty and therefore dark.

Edited: I see what you mean.

Any opinions on the three selections. JA gemologist thinks the 2.01 is the best out of the three.

The 2.01 would be my choice, as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results