shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help deciding on this "W-X" diamond......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2010 3:38:37 PM
Author:Taylorbug!
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/w-x-diamond-what-do-you-think.140493/

I love the color....but don't know much about the asset and idealscope images. Help!!!
Taylorbug - the problem is that asset and idealscope images are best for white diamonds where cut is (for some) king! The next problem is that in all honesty, coloured diamonds (for me anyway) should be judged by their colour (and cut comes second).

Sooooooo, are you a cut junkie? Does a cut have to be "just so" for you? If so, this pear has a very large bowtie that is evident in the first picture you posted and the effect of that is that it loses all the yellow colour and greys out in that area. Now in some lighting you won't see it as much but in others you will. Could you live with that? If you can then it's definitely worth seeing if the colour is attractive to you. I have a number of yellow diamonds in this colour range and one of them has got the best sparkle I've ever seen in a diamond (and that's a pear shape too)!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2010 6:15:11 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/w-x-diamond-what-do-you-think.140493/

I love the color....but don''t know much about the asset and idealscope images. Help!!!
Taylorbug - the problem is that asset and idealscope images are best for white diamonds where cut is (for some) king! The next problem is that in all honesty, coloured diamonds (for me anyway) should be judged by their colour (and cut comes second).

Sooooooo, are you a cut junkie? Does a cut have to be ''just so'' for you? If so, this pear has a very large bowtie that is evident in the first picture you posted and the effect of that is that it loses all the yellow colour and greys out in that area. Now in some lighting you won''t see it as much but in others you will. Could you live with that? If you can then it''s definitely worth seeing if the colour is attractive to you. I have a number of yellow diamonds in this colour range and one of them has got the best sparkle I''ve ever seen in a diamond (and that''s a pear shape too)!
LD has some great points. When choosing a colored diamond, go for the color first, then cut, then clarity. Not even the best color or clarity can save a poor cut. It just makes it look dull and lifeless. The diamond in the photos has great color, but I also see the bowtie, and it''s creating a grey area. But who knows? It may disappear once set. It really depends on how much the seller wants for this stone, and if it''s worth living with this bowtie.

Have you seen this stone in person or at least seen a video of it?

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/9/2010 6:49:58 PM
Author: platinumrock

Date: 4/9/2010 6:15:11 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

I love the color....but don''t know much about the asset and idealscope images. Help!!!

Sooooooo, are you a cut junkie? Does a cut have to be ''just so'' for you? If so, this pear has a very large bowtie that is evident in the first picture you posted and the effect of that is that it loses all the yellow colour and greys out in that area. Now in some lighting you won''t see it as much but in others you will. Could you live with that? If you can then it''s definitely worth seeing if the colour is attractive to you. I have a number of yellow diamonds in this colour range and one of them has got the best sparkle I''ve ever seen in a diamond (and that''s a pear shape too)!
LD has some great points. When choosing a colored diamond, go for the color first, then cut, then clarity. Not even the best color or clarity can save a poor cut. It just makes it look dull and lifeless. The diamond in the photos has great color, but I also see the bowtie, and it''s creating a grey area. But who knows? It may disappear once set. It really depends on how much the seller wants for this stone, and if it''s worth living with this bowtie.

Have you seen this stone in person or at least seen a video of it?
platinumrock, I have not seen the stone or a video. Only the pics that I posted. Thanks for your input.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
You''re welcome, Taylorbug. I own an orangy yellow pear, and because it''s well-cut, the color saturation is very even, and there''s no bowtie. With colored diamonds, you can''t just rely on a few photos because they are a different breed than colorless ones. Their hues can also vary depending on lighting.

W-X colors don''t fall into fancy category yet, so they should be competitively priced. May I ask how much the vendor wants for this stone? I just want to make sure you''re not overpaying.

See if you can get more face-up pics from the vendor to see how evident the bow-tie is. A video would be better because you can see the whole stone and its personality, and without tampering with lighting, it usually represents the true color. Ideally, you should try to see this stone in real life. With colored diamonds, they can be tricky, so let your eyes choose for you. What looks like a certain color in photos may look completely different in real life.

Have you looked at other stones as well?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally agree with PR about the colour BUT I have never seen a setting that hides or eliminates a bowtie. If there''s a bowtie, there''s a bowtie unfortunately. Can you live with that?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results