shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help comparing 2 stones!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
I would call and see if either/or/both are eye clean. If they are, it''s just a question of size and price.
My guess is that the SI2 is not totally eye clean so I would probably end up going with the H SI1.
just my .02

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Out of the two I prefer the second one - even though it is a little deeper, however if the S12 is eyeclean it could be a contender. Ask Jon at GOG, he will give you an honest opinion but make your expectations clear - eyeclean is subjective and an S12 may not stand up to very close scrutiny, although some can and do. Eyeclean means no visible inclusions in normal light from about 10 inches away according to the trade definition, or normal viewing distance. If the inclusion isn''t eye visible then you are ok.

singer

Brilliant_Rock
I say go for #2. H color for a RB is still going to very white. Mine is a J, and I have still never noticed any yellow hue to it. #2 gets my vote all the way! I would rather have a cleaner stone with a lower color. Also, FYI, a better color will not necessarily hide an inclusion...the cut of the stone helps in this area. Maybe you already knew that, I was just a little confused about your statement, "...I really like the F color, which might make up for the inclusion..." Happy hunting! Let us know what you decide on. IMO, bigger is always better!
9.gif
31.gif

maddie80

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice! I always think inclusions are hard to see (but if it is a huge one, you never know!). When I looked at diamonds in the B&M stores, I thought it was easier to notice changes in color. Those are not all the same awesome cut as GOG offers, however, and I will not be sitting looking at my ring compared to other diamonds of higher color all the time! (Hopefully!)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jon will be completely honest with you as to the visibility of the inclusion, if the diamond arrives and you don''t like it he will do all he can to make you happy.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Madeleine!

In answering your question, as difficult it may be ... here is my opinion.

Diamond #1:

1.202 H SI1
As I look at the picture, I see something funny in the center of the diamond. I don't know how much of it is reflection or inclusion. The xray pix clearly show you what you will be getting though. It is often difficult to know if you will or you wont' see this inclusion from a face up view. Only Jonathan, or one of his other employee's will be able to tell you this as they have the stone there to look at. I find that kind of service very helpful.
36.gif

This diamond based on it's sarin comes out using the HCA with a 1.5 - Excellent within the TIC range.

Light return - Excellent
9.gif

Fire - Excellent
9.gif

Scintilation - Very Good (You will have to decide if this will be enough for you)
Spread - Very Good

I say if it faces up with no inclusion visable to your eye, especially in the center, and if the diamond has enough scintilation, then this is your diamond. Bscope is within a nice range.

Versus:

Diamond #2:

1.11 F SI2
I like the look of this picture much better than the one above. I can tell where the inclusion is, but it doesn't seem to be right smack dab in the middle where you eye naturally tends to gravitate. I have always thought the inclusions looks nicer off to the sides or under the girdle. I would also ask about this inclusion. Can you see it face up, side view, or bottoms up only. Hopefully it will be bottom's up and it will be a white inclusion.

This diamond based on it's sarin comes out using the HCA with a 1.2 Excellent within the TIC range.

Light Return - Excellent
9.gif

Fire - Excellent
9.gif

Scintilation - Excellent
9.gif

Spread - Very Good
(I like this HCA reading the best of the two)

If I had to choose between only these two diamonds, I would go for # 2 with one condition. The inclusion would not be seen face up, only side or bottoms up would do.

Good luck to you!
35.gif
ETA: Also, I think the BScope on Diamond #2 is very very nice!!!

Have a great day!

35.gif

maddie80

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the advice!

We are definitely going to talk to Good Old Gold to get their opinion.

The H is a little bit larger, but not larger enough that it would be the decisive factor for us. Most of all, we want something with lots of brilliance, great cut, and after that color, then size.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Ask GOG to pull both stones and eyeball them for you while you talk on the phone. That should be all you need to make the decision easy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results