shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help choosing between diamonds by TOMORROW!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

klanesmith

Rough_Rock
I am about to purchase a diamond tomorrow evening, but I am having a hrad time choosing between two stones. Any help would be appreciated as I need to decide VERY QUICKLY!
I don''t have the paperwork on hand with the percentages, but I will describe what I know about them:

Stone #1:
Carat: 1.10
Color: F
Clarity: SI1 (Virtually No Inclusions when viewed through loup- only small clouds if at all- SI1 seems a bit too harsh a rating for this stone)
Polish & Symmetry: Good
Cut is a little deep in the crown
Fluorescence: Medium Blue
Cert: GIA

Stone #2:
Carat: 1.03
Color: D
Clarity: SI1 (When viewed through the loup, there is one small inclusion just off-center in the table, and approximately 2-3 at the bottom of the stone)
Polish & Symmetry: Very Good
Tolkowsky Ideal Cut
Fluorescence: None
Cert: EGL

I have taken them both into the sun, and they are both pretty. I think that Stone #2 has more sparkle than Stone #1, but my fiance thinks they are equal. Stone #1 has a clearer look to it such that you can see through it more. Stone#2 has darker areas, more like a mirror. For an example, go to this page: http://diamonds.pricescope.com/symm.asp The top stone is more like Stone #1 and the bottom stone is more like Stone #2.
Stone #2 is only about $500 more than Stone #1.
How can Stone #2 have and ideal cut but only very good symmetry?
Which stone should I buy?
Please help!
32.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
buy what you like!!! you have seen them both together, which one is better? don''t get too caught up in the #''s.......

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Symmetry is not critical. I think #2 sounds like the superior stone.

klanesmith

Rough_Rock
If symmetry is not critical, why would #2 be the superior stone? Based on cut & color?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Your fiance said #2 sparkled more, and from your description #1 sounds somewhat shallow.

klanesmith

Rough_Rock
Actually, I thought stone #2 sparkled more, not my fiance. Stone #1 has the deeper cut, so I am not sure what you mean when you say it is shallow. Maybe we are talking about the opposite stones and the numbers are switched?
#1 is the F, #2 is the D. Which one do you recommend?

cushioncut

Shiny_Rock
I think people could make a more informed decision if you gave the tables, depths, and the crown and pav angles...

reena

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2004 3:33:38 PM
Author: cushioncut
I think people could make a more informed decision if you gave the tables, depths, and the crown and pav angles...
right, or, like, shape?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2004 3:36:11 PM
Author: reena

Date: 12/14/2004 3:33:38 PM
Author: cushioncut
right, or, like, shape?
yes, that would help.

20.gif
(i''m done being bad today)

klanesmith

Rough_Rock
sorry- it''s round.
And, like I said, unfortunately I don''t have the exact specs handy. I appreciate any advice you can provide without those numbers.

reena

Ideal_Rock

cpnzalesI.JPG

reena

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2004 3:44:41 PM
Author: klanesmith
sorry- it's round.
And, like I said, unfortunately I don't have the exact specs handy. I appreciate any advice you can provide without those numbers.
honestly, i appreciate the idea that you don't want to get too bogged down in numbers, but personally i wouldn't purchase a stone without considering at least the BASIC specs--ie, table, depth, measurements. is there a way you can obtain that information? otherwise, nobody is really going to be able to offer you meaningful advice.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Klanesmith
sounds like #2 is a egl europe cert if so they can be brought cheaper than a gia cert for the same grade. what are the specs ?

klanesmith

Rough_Rock
Okay, I am at home now. Here are the specs:
Stone #1
GIA Cert. #10751328, June 29, 1999
Cutting Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.38-6.49 x 4.19mm
Weight: 1.10 Carats
Depth: 66.1% (it is a faxed copy, so it could be 86.1%, but it looks more like 66.1%)
Table: 60%
Girdle: Very thin to Very thick, Faceted
Cutlet: None
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: SI1 (Eye-Clean, and no black inclusions at all)
Color: F
Fluorescence: Medium Blue
In the comments section, it says that the crown angles are greater than 36 degrees, Surface graining is not shown, it also says, "Clarity Grade is based on..." and then the faxed copy becomes unreadable, so I will find out what that says tomorrow.

Stone #2
EGL Cert. #2410455324, October 26, 2004
Cutting Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.40-6.32 x 4.01mm
Weight: 1.03 Carats
Depth: 63.1%
Table Width: 57%
Crown Ht: 15%
Pavillion Depth: 43%
Girdle: Slightly Thick, Faceted
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Clarity: SI1 (Eye-Clean, but the following inclusions are visible through the loupe: 1 small dark inclusion just off center of table and 2-3 small inclusions visible near bottom of stone)
Graining: Nil
Color: D
Fluorescence: None
"Tolkowsky Ideal Cut"

Again, Stone #2 (The D) looks a bit more brilliant to me, but my fiance thinks the two are equal. Stone #2 looks whiter (consistent with a higher color rating), and the appearance of the two is very similar to the stones on the following page: http://diamonds.pricescope.com/symm.asp
The top stone looking like Stone #1, and the bottom stone looks like Stone #2 because stome #1 has a "clearer" look, more like glass, and Stone #2 has a darker look, more like a bunch of mirrors.

I hope this provides enough info. for any of you to make recommendations as to which stone I should buy. I appreciate your advice!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Klanesmith
none of thee above ,the cut is way too deep...wow #1 is 66% depth ? and looks like is out of round.

reena

Ideal_Rock
yeah, i believe they say that a well-cut 1 carat RB should have a diameter of 6.5mm. #2 doesn''t make that, and #1 barely does even though it is 1.10 carats. so basically that means you''re paying for weight you can''t see.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
From what you posted number two isn''t bad. But, I would drop ten and punt. In other words, start over.

What are the prices?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results