shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help and Advice about a Diamond Purchase from Robbins Brothers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GETanEDGE

Rough_Rock
Two weeks ago I purchased a ring from one of the Robbin''s Bros retail chain stores.
Yesterday I picked up my ring and looked at the certificate in detail for the first time.
After I got done looking it over and doing a little research on this website my stomach dropped.
Here are the specs on my diamond:

Cut: Round
Carat: .92
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Depth%: 66.1
Table%: 60
Girdle Thickness: Thick to Very Thick
Polosh: Good
Symmetry: Good
Cutlet: None

This is a GIA certified Diamond, so the only characteristics given are the ones I outlined above.
The thing that immediatly jumped out at me was the Total Depth of 66.1. This seems really abnormal. Everywhere I look on-line describes a Total Depth this large as being a fair to poor cut diamond. The sales representative at Robbins Bros told me that they only sell diamonds that are considered a GOOD cut so I didn''t even bother taking cut into consideration when I made my purchase. I have a feeling they swindled me by showing me this higher carat diamond which in reality isn''t much larger than a smaller carat diamond due to the depth %. Tag price on this diamond was $5,500 and they would up selling it to me for $3,750. I am thinking of going back into the store today and speaking to a mangaer. Does anyone have any comments or advice on this issue?

I''d greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Yes the diamond is, as you feared, a deep cut. The table is also a bit on the larger side.

A well cut RB will have a table of between 53% and 58%. Depth would run 58.7% to 62.3%. The cutter went for weight retention with this diamond adding $$$ to the price.

Also, the thick to very thick girdle is another place to hide weight. In addition to adding weight and $$$, thick girdles are a place for light to leak out. Light that leaks out thru the girdle is light that does not get returned to the eye of the viewer. Flashes of white light and sparks of color.

You probably had dimensions listed on the Cert as well. Look for # x # x #. The diamond you purchased should look very similar to a 1 carat diamond, meaning the diameter (first 2 numbers) would be close to 6.5 mm. This diamond probably has the appearance of a well cut 0.75 carat stone. More in the neighborhood of right at 6mm, give or take.

Comparable diamonds currently available thru PS Vendors range from about $2700 to around $2900.
1.gif

GETanEDGE

Rough_Rock
Just as I feared!!!!
They gyped me!!!
Do you think the abnormally large total depth gives me enough justification to call them out on their so called "good" cut grading? I don''t see how this could qualify as a good cut diamond, if it does, it''d like to see those standards in writing.
Thanks for the feedback.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m afraid they can call good whatever they like............
my good is better than your good

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
What''s Robbins'' return policy?

While certainly prices from internet sellers are competitive and N&M stores generally charge a little more. Comparing the value from these two varying markets may not be totally fair to the B&M store.

On the other hand, you probably can get a better stone for less on the net. Depends on what the B&M offers you in "extra services", and whether they are of value to you.

Hope this helps.

Rockdoc

GETanEDGE

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have any standard written guidelines
that would show where this diamond falls on an
overall scale.? I''d like to have some things
in writing to show to them to back up my argument.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
There is quite a bit of information right here on this site under "knowledge"

But honestly, I wouldn''t fight''em on a definition of "good". That''s a loosing battle.

I''m sure robbins brothers has a return policy. Just use it. Say "thank you very much" but I am going to return this now. Don''t give them a reason. You don''t need to - just kill them wth kindness and say -- thanks but no thanks. Yes, and speak to a mgr when doing this.

If for some reason that RB doesn''t have a return policy, then if it''s 30 days or less - and you bought it on a credit card maybe the cc company can help. Again - you want to return an item. ....

Keep it clean, and easy and I"ll be you can return it without a hassle. If you go in with documentation saying this "good" isn''t your "good" - you may be inviting an attitude from them you just don''t need.

Let them take their "good" diamond back.

Good Luck

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
G
VS2
66% depth
59% table
GIA
tn-tk girdle
no cutlet
gd symmetry
ex polish
no flr
5.93-6.03-3.98
$2954/carat
$2718*SP Price Scope price for the diamond.

That's the specs on one diamond from a PS search for comparable diamonds. This diamond is listed for sale by Abazia's.
1.gif

Edited to add:

Here's a link to the Cut Charts. Based on the table and depth measurements you gave, this could be a Cut Class 3B depending on the crown and pavillion specs.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/round.asp

laney

Brilliant_Rock
By the way ... this is from their website

Satisfaction guarantee

If for any reason you decide not to keep the ring you purchased from us, bring it back within 30 days for an exchange or refund. Your complete satisfaction is what counts.

GETanEDGE

Rough_Rock
Unfortunatly they sold it to me as is with no return.
I''m afraid i got swindled.
I''m hoping they will acknowledge the fact I am a dissatisfied customer and will try to do something to improve the situation. I''m hoping they value their business relationships.
EEEEEKKKK!!!! I dont'' have much to hold on to do I?

laney

Brilliant_Rock
I hope so too. Go in and try - see what they can do for you.

That quote is from their website - so you can just claim "ignorance" and say "I''m not satisified".

How did they sell it to you with no return? Did they write it down? I think that''s pretty bad if they advertise that they have this guarantee then tell customers "hey - if you buy this now, for this price... no return". Not sure if that''s what happened or not.

Anyway - why not ask for a "trade"? Then ask to see specs on other rings that they have - you never know - you may find a diamond that is OK and around your specs. It may be priced high though. I''d try just to return it...

GETanEDGE

Rough_Rock
Alright folks.....thanks for all the feedback and responses...much appreciated.
It''s quittin'' time at work and I gotta head to the jeweler
7.gif

I''ll keep you posted on what happens with this ordeal.
Wish me luck!!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
why would it be "as is with no return"? they must have at least disclosed a reason as to why it was being sold that way...........

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
this diamond and i have the same proportions,too much weight from the mid-section on down.....thick-to very thick
38.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol..........from now on, we shall refer to diamonds with these proportions as "dancing fire" diamonds.......
we can use df for short.
hehe..........well, that looks like a df for sure..............

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Hi, you sound genuinely unhappy with your diamond. Was their return policy clearly displayed or were you informed by the salesperson of it when paying for the diamond? In any case go back to the store & ask for a return since you are a customer & should want to satisfy you. They might not give you your money back but might let you exchange it for another better cut stone. I think most larger retail chains want their customers to be happy. It doesn''t hurt to try, I would. Good luck!

GETanEDGE

Rough_Rock
Here is an update for all of you:
First off, thank you very much for everyones input.
I just got back from Robbins Bros and my experience overall was fairly positive, although I had to wait over an hour to speak with the manager who helped me the last time was there. At least they had the Laker game on in the guest lounge when I wated. After my long delay the manager was actually more than willing to help me out with my problem. Naturally she wasn''t going to let me sell the diamond back, but she was ready and willing to show me anything I wanted to replace the diamond I had bought. She pretty much agreed to the fact that they probably didn''t stress cut characteristics enough when I was there. She claimed that she didn''t because it didn''t appear that i was interested in cut.

So long story short....I wound up with:

.91 carat round diamond
F color (went up from a G, so thats good)
Ideal Cut (don''t remember what the specifics were, but I crossed checked the numbers off data I copied off the internet.
my center stone width increased from 5.91 to 6.15 (I think) so my ring will look a lot more like a .91 carat than a .75 carat.
Clarity went from a VS2 to an SI2, so I had to give up on this point
7.gif
but the only inclusion is a small feathered spot which 85% will be covered by on of the prongs. Other than that the stone is completely clear.
1 other bonus is the fact that the TAG value of this diamond was $300 more than the last diamond I looked at so I guess thats good.

Bottom line I probably paid a little bit more than I should have but thats the trade off when you go to a B&M jewelry store. It was literally impossible to get them to go down any more on the price so at least I did my best. Thanks again for all the help.

Here''s a pic of the ring I bought in case anyone is interested.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Getanedge, first off, welcome to Pricescope! I'm glad you came here looking for advice. You will get both good information and advice to help you make an educated purchase. Whew, sorry about the heart attack you're having. I'd feel awful too if I made the purchase, then got the education.

Laney had some very level headed advice, backed up with the return policy from their website. Print it out for reference, then calm down and head straight to Robbins to make your return. Before you purchase anything else, take some time to educate yourself on your next purchase as it is the only protection against making one you will later come to regret. Like PQ said, there is a ton of info right here on this site to help you.

It helps other consumers to know when retailers stand by their policies and truly offer satisfaction to their customers so please do keep us posted. Buying a diamond is not a small purchase and you should feel good about it.

Good luck and please let us know how it works out.

EDITED TO ADD:
Get an Edge, looks like we were posting at the same time. I'm glad things turned out positively for you. You're right, a B&M will have a higher price tag, but as long as you are aware and okay with that, it is most important that you are happy with the new stone you have chosen. Sparkle=happiness. Sometimes price is irrelavent.
9.gif

Enjoy your new sparklie. We look foward to an engagement story soon.
36.gif

~kmom
35.gif

GETanEDGE

Rough_Rock
Lets try this again.

0351551.jpg

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Congrats, Get!! Glad they would make the trade with you. And the ring is beautiful!!

Best wishes for your upcoming engagement!!
1.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
It

is

lovely!!!!!!!!!
36.gif

Glad things worked out for you.

~kmom
36.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Wow, good for you on trading your stone for an ideal cut beauty! It''s amazing how much bigger the diameter is on your new one. It sounds like the manager was fair with you and the ring is beautiful! I''m glad it worked out so well.

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Yay for you! I''m sure it''s lovely.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2005 8
6.gif
6.gif
5 PM
Author: belle
why would it be ''as is with no return''? they must have at least disclosed a reason as to why it was being sold that way...........
I seem to recall another poster saying their sale was contingent upon a "no return" policy. Something about the price being discounted more. Sounds like a sales pitch nonsense to me.

laney

Brilliant_Rock

Hey! I''m glad to hear things worked out fairly well for you.

I''m happy that you went back in and were able to negotiate for something you seem much more comfortable with. I have an SI2 -and believe me - no one can find my inclusion. I think that is a good trade for a better cut diamond. The sparkles will cover any hint of a feather... :)

I''m also glad they treated you with respect. That is good to hear (even though they did make you wait)

BTW - I really like the setting you chose!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Glad everything worked out. As long as you can''t see it with the naked eye, it doesn''t matter too much that you went from a VS2 to a SI. The extra sparkles you get from the better cut (as well as teh appearance of a larger size) will more than make up for the decrease in clarity, particularly since everyone is gonna be distracted by the scintillation anyways. I think you made a great choice. Most people say that if you''re going to sacrifice one area, make it clarity instead of cut.

GETanEDGE

Rough_Rock
Actually they stamped my reciept with No Return, No Warranty.
It''s definitely scary to read those words on a reciept but I think they do it to cover their butts.
Once you drop they cash they wanna make sure they keep it. However, with that said, I think if you shop at a reputable store they value their customers enough that they are willing to accomodate you in any way they can.
If I complained long and hard enough I probably could have gotten my money back, but they were willing to work with me and find me something better for the same price I paid originally. I guess its that kind of service that makes it worthwile to pay a premium for your purchase.

I get to pick up my ring Monday, so we''ll see how satisfied I am in the end.
One thing''s for sure, I feel a hell of a lot better than I did this time yesterday.
Guess that counts for something.

I''ll keep you posted how things turn out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results