shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help; Am I expecting too much, or do I just need to keep looking?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ogden

Rough_Rock

So I think I may be falling victim to the knowing too many details and not finding them all in one place (i.e. one ring) syndrome. Perhaps you folks can suggest something that will help me out. I understand that finding everything I want in something that is not custom made is unlikely.

I spent a lot of time paying attention, subtly determining her likes and dislikes. Where I could not find out the answer on my own, I asked, and we have looked at rings a few times as well. The details and issues here represent my own desire to give her a great ring that will be something she will have and love forever. (like me

9.gif
) She insists that she will love whatever I get her. I 100% believe that, because a) I trust her, and b) she knows and trusts my taste. Still, that doesn’t make it all that much easier to find that one perfect ring.

What she doesn’t want:
A simple solitare or 3 stone setting.(i.e. wants something different)
What she likes:
White gold or platinum (most of her jewelry is silver)
Filigree
Art Deco
Accent stones in different color, such as sapphires (again, sapphire blue, and perhaps emerald green, would be a much better pairing for normal jewelry color palate than something like rubies)
What she needs:
She works with her hands, so a low or flush setting would be best.
She’s between a 4.5 and a 5, so a big stone would overpower her hand, especially in a setting with accent stones.

Budget $3000-ish

So far I have:

A VERY good price (have not yet purchased) on a .73 carat, I/J, SI2, Round Brilliant, Good cut, with a very thin girdle, from a friend that I trust, appraised by someone else I trust.

Most of the settings I have seen seem too tall. As a result, I am leaning towards a setting like this:

p.jpg

Platinum, art deco reproduction, with some scrollwork, in a band that can be sized.

This is a Fay Cullen setting, shown with CZ in it. I made some inquiries and with the diamond info I sent them, they said that this setting to fit the diamond above would end up being about 10mm across, that’s a 2mm band circling around a roughly 5.6mm across diamond. I know she will love it both for it’s looks and it’s not-the-standard-engagement-ing-ness.

Now for the questions:

She has mentioned a couple of times, that it might be nice to wear the engagement ring with her band, I don’t see that happening with the above setting. Can we get something custom done wit the band that will fit around the ring?

If I want to have a diamond set into a setting like this, what info do need to give them about the diamond, and is there anything special involved in setting the diamond, that a normal jeweler could not do? I ask because it’s not your typical pronged setting.

This is where I may be getting myself into trouble, the setting below is a similar style, but the casting has some detailing that I think she would like on the band. If this came in all platinum with sapphires instead of emeralds, this would be a great alternative.

7.jpg
http://www.faycullen.com/_pics/500/512m9e/7.jpg[/img[/url]]

Would it be prohibitively expensive, or even possible, to have detailing like this added to the platinum setting above? Would it be worth the risk of damaging the ring? Am I just wanting too much from what I can afford?

I picked the sapphire setting above because I thought it had a better balance/ratio between the size of the center stone and the size of the surrounding ring. Many other art deco settings I saw seemed to have more center with less surround. If anyone has any suggestions as to where I might find something similar, or even something differnet that might fit the list of qualities given above, I’d love to hear about it.

Another thing that concerns me is Fay Cullen’s return policy. If I do buy this setting, it’s made to fit whatever diamond I give them the specs for. It doesn’t look, to my untrained eye, that there is a lot of “wiggle” room regarding adjustment if the casting is off by too much. It looks like it either fits, or it doesn’t. I don’t want to have to buy a second diamond to fit the setting.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Without seeing a full profile shot of the ring it is hard to tell, but you may very well be able to slip a band underneath the gallery where it will lay against the band of the e-ring. I am not able to see the setting that you linked up so I can't comment on that.

On a different topic, are you sure you want to purchase a diamond with a "good" cut? Cut is the most important of the 4 C's and yet you are sacrificing alot to go to a good cut. Cut is what makes the diamond shine and sparkle, and knock your socks off. An excellent cut diamond will look bigger than a diamond with a lesser cut. A very thin girdle can be a danger as well, as it makes your diamond more susceptible to chipping.

If you give FC your diamond's measurements correctly, it will be their job to make the setting for your diamond. You will not have to buy another diamond. If anything went wrong, they would have to make a new setting (assuming they were given accurate info about your diamond).

A bezel setting like that one requires the measurements of your diamond so that it will fit into the bezel. You should ask if a very thin girdle will be an issue with the setting. The bezel setting may protect your diamond better or make it less stable in the setting.

Ogden

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info. The main reason I was considering the "good" diamond was that I have a chance to get it so inexpensively. It''s not so much a case of being cheap as having such a good deal ont he stone laid at my feet and then just walking away from it.

Actually I hadn''t thought that mucha bout the cut, though I was a bit concerned about the very thin girdle and that type of setting.

The ring itself sits right on her finger.

Thanks for your advice! I think I''ll have to look into some other diamonds just to see what else is in my price range with a better cut.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
No problem. I wouldn''t necessarily consider it such an amazing deal. Afterall, I''m sure the jeweler knows the importance of cut. The low price may very well reflect the low quality cut. Most times, you get what you pay for.

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
maybe you could consider getting the ring in 18kWG to save some and use that towards a diamond with a better cut.

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
oh. i wanted to add that i don''t think you''re expecting too much, you just need to determine what the priorities of the ring are. you have a budget and need to stick within it - so then the question becomes, at least in my mind, which is the more important piece? the ring itself, or the diamond?

do you want to buy the best diamond you can and then find a setting to go with it that keeps you within your budget,

or

do you want to find the perfect ring and then find a diamond that will work with it.

imho, once you make that determination, you can figure out what to buy.

i can''t see the other ring, right - i get a page saying that what i''m looking for doesn''t exist..but i know Fay Cullen makes really beautiful things!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results