shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help: Abazias, Appraisal, Buying a Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

meepcat

Shiny_Rock
This is my first post on pricescope, and it''s after much lurking through various threads, seeking opinions on vendors, experiences, and ideas. I really enjoy this site, and hope to obtain more information to add to my spreadsheet, which I started, in order to stave my thirst for an e-ring!

This Thursday, my bf and I are going to JewelryMart in SF. I talked with Pete at Derco (courtesy of a forum thread), and he was very friendly and conducive for my research. I also talk with John Paul at Edward''s and he was equally friendly. I was able to verbally query them for what I''m looking for, which, after salivating in the brag book section, I''m seeking to be more flexible about. My bf''s sister bought her ring at Padis, and explained they''re more receptive to cash-in-hand, and seem to willing to deal. Not sure if her diamonds were EGL/AGS/GIA, so that leads me to my next question..

EGL is even indicated in wikipedia as a generally-acknowledged lower standard of ceritification for diamonds. Would the individual vendors that post on here (niceice.com, goodoldgold.com, et. al) consider selling diamonds that were only EGL-certified? I''ve been looking at abazias.com, and after reading through many of the postings (both good/bad/commentary), I''m convinced they''re a reputable vendor who earnestly try to keep their customers. Abazias sells EGL-certified diamonds. In particular, I am really attracted to obtaining the bigger diamond for a reasonable price. I want to use this price point in my comparison when I visit JM in SF, but what matters to me more than just the beauty of the diamond (however flawed) is its value. I don''t want to go through the process of buying a diamond that is terrible in its specifications, only to have to return it. In addition to that, would PS folks here recommend getting an EGL-certified diamond appraised by the appraisers that also haunt this forum?

We have 2 months in which I can do all my researching. My goal is to find something under 4-figures (includes a white gold setting), and while abazias has the best deals, I need some forum feedback to secure my confidence in going with this vendor.

Also to note, I''m not the one buying the diamond, my boyfriend is. But I want to do the proactive worrying and research so as to set his mind at ease when he has to find out the diamond/setting, etc. I considered getting in contact with Abazias in the next couple of months, to set up communications with them and my boyfriend, so the purchase can go down on the hush-hush :)

Any helpful tips in this process would be worthwhile.

Thanksmuch!
-meep.
26.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
35.gif

PSers can spend a lot of time looking for the right diamond. EGL stones are pretty hit or miss, as well as less strict on grading, so people just don't bother with these when they already have so many beautiful stones available.

If you give us your specifications, you'll have lots of PSers trying to find something that fits.

meepcat

Shiny_Rock
Here''s my current specs:

GIA/AGS first, but EGL if folks trust the vendor (and maybe someone here could appraise it?)

Ranges for the diamond:

shape: round or princess
cut: ideal/premium (but if very good will do -- if the balance is there)
size: 1.3-2.01 carats
color: G-L (also taking fluorescence into account)
clarity: SI1-I1 (no feathers, no carbon please)
price: limit $6900 for the diamond; limit $1600 for the setting with side stones
setting: (1) white gold, princess with small baguettes on side; (2) 3 stone with proportionate side stones in trellis setting, (3) 3 stone whiteflash W with proportionate side stones
girdle: reasonable, thick enough to withstand the occasional smacking into a ballet barre

And are there any vendors that have a payment plan option?

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I thought you said under 4 figures! Maybe you meant under $10,000? Anyways, about layaway, I''m not sure if any PS vendors do it. But I read on here once that WinkJones might, and others may if asked politely. So perhaps if you see something you like, just ask
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
You get what you pay for and in general the market your buying in sets the price.

A stone with that gia rates a j-si2 would be about the same price in the same market with an Israel EGL cert saying it was a G-vs2, or if IGI calls it a H-vs2, the other certs just makes it sound better.
A g-vs2 or h-vs2 will sell faster to the uninformed so the cutter might choose the lesser cert.
A non GIA/AGS J is almost guaranteed to be a k-l because there is a large jump in mindshare between J and K so the best sounding cert they can get will be used.

EGL-usa is much better at grading than the other EGL labs so they are closer to GIA pricing.
If you see a diamond well under GIA pricing for that grade you can bet it wouldn''t get that grade from GIA.
Otherwise they would send it to GIA and sell it for more money and when you can be talking thousands of dollars they would be stupid not too.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results