shape
carat
color
clarity

Need gift ideas for Mom''s B-day gift!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Calling all shoppers! What do you get an "older woman" who makes no time for herself, takes care of everyone before herself, "needs nothing", doesn''t dress up that much anymore, and suggests that I "save my money"...Why are mothers so self-effacing?! Why can''t she just say, yeah, get me a mink stole or something...
9.gif

Any good ideas? She likes to read, but can''t because it hurts here eyes, she does needle point, and likes gardening and flowers. Christmas I got her a lovely set of Earring and ring with Amethyst and diamonds in white gold. It was so lovely! What can I get her for her B-day?! HELP!?

jackieblue

Rough_Rock
How about a massage, a manicure/pedicure, or some other spa thing she would never get herself? Even a fun makeover or haircut gift certificate might work. If you have the cash you could do a half-day/day at the spa with lunch. Good luck!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was going to say the same thing...spa treatments. Esp for someone who won't get them for herself. A NECESSITY in life!!
1.gif
Maybe you can both have a day at the spa...or just a massage if the cost is prohibitive..and then do lunch as JB suggested.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Good call guys, but she's so bad she wouldn't go. I will try it, but take her WITH ME...so she has no choice. I live an hour away, but I hardly ever get to see her anymore, so I will have a Mommy & Me day!
wink2.gif
Thanks again!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/18/2004 10:27:01 AM Nicrez wrote:

Good call guys, but she's so bad she wouldn't go. I will try it, but take her WITH ME...so she has no choice. I live an hour away, but I hardly ever get to see her anymore, so I will have a Mommy & Me day!
wink2.gif
Thanks again!
----------------

No spa!!!!! I *hate* spas. I *hate* to be pampered by people I pay. Some people are just like that, especially the older generations.

That said, if she gardens - go to a garden store & find something that would make gardening more comfortable - mudd boots, knee pads, etc. If she does needlepoint, buy her a kit. If she likes books but has a hard time reading- how about a book on tape?

If the above doesn't work, comfy things may. I'm in my middle 40's. A great pleasure of mine is to sit in my big Morris chair, read & enjoy a nice glass of wine. My best gift recently was a good book, a good bottle of wine & a super soft mohair throw. Comfort is a big deal the more you age. Life is too short to not be in a great element. That blanket completes my comfort level.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
F&I, that sounds like my mom...Minus the wine. She has a sip and she's pink and smiling...

Anyone have good gardening stores on line? Also, anyone know of any interesting exotic plants? She's got SUCH a green thumb, she has her plants and flowers overruning her home!

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
You might want to try softsurroundings.com; they have really comfy things to wear and wrap oneself in. Perhaps, and F&I suggested, she'd enjoy a really cozy wrap while doing her needlepoint or reading or listening to a book on tape.

win

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Outdoor gardening or indoor? Smith & Hawkin is kind of the upscale gardening place. I'm sure they have a presence on line as they began life w/ a catalog.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hehehe, I don't think of S&H as upscale though some items can be pricey.
1.gif
I love their store. http://www.smithandhawken.com. I just bought a bunch of orchid pots & some 75% off paperwhites from the store in Los Gatos last week!! I love waiting until all the other suckers have bought their paperwhites at $1.50 per bulb then I swoop in and get them for $.20 each...hee hee.

Check out http://www.gardeners.com/ as well. I just ordered 7 huge pots on there to dig up some of my garden at the old place and bring it to the new house with me. They have a great catalog, your mom probably already gets it. I also somehow managed to get 15% off my order though I didn't even try...hee hee. I guess it was some sort of new shopper coupon code.
2.gif

If she is huge into gardening, what about a pair of Felco pruners? She may already have a pair or three, but if not, they are invaluable!! They have a #6 which I think is the small size for womens hands.

Does she like unique, exotic tropicals? There are online tropical places...we visited one in CT about 4 years ago that was really cool!! They have an online store too: http://www.logees.com/store/ . I got a bunch of stuff from them...their greenhouses were amazing. But she has to be able to have an indoor spot that will accomodate things like tropicals (e.g. light and warmth)...not sure if she has an indoor greenhouse but that may be a cute idea too! You can get smaller ones or ones that look more like a glass conservatory (I have one to sell!!) that are almost old-style Victorian.

Though I still vote for the SPA. I am suspicious of people who don't appreciate a good massage. F&I that includes you!
9.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/18/2004 12:42:46 PM Mara wrote:

Though I still vote for the SPA. I am suspicious of people who don't appreciate a good massage. F&I that includes you!
9.gif

----------------

Hah! I hold on to my NO Spa! I don't like people I don't know touching me. I do get the occassional massage from a friend who is a massage therapist. I got into that grove when she had to put in x hours to be certified. Other than that, No not me! It's creepy to me. And, I know that is weird.
9.gif

Besides, this whole "trend" just rubs (no pun intended) me the wrong way. I saw a review of a couple of spas on the morning show. One day for $20k - and on the cheap for 4k. The horror - think of all the homeless diamonds!

And, I'm not a good one to ask about gardening supplies. I buy my stuff at the Farmer's Market & ask them what to use.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Well you are all very helpful, and my mom's a bit of a strange duck about massages too.

Me personally, I've easy. Hee hee...

My mom though, feels at her age and all she's not comfortable having anyone touch her like that too. Consider she's a conservative Roman Catholic married woman...

Plus, she just doesn't see it being a good deal for something she enjoys for a few minutes and get no real value for, plus she would say, "save your money!"

And when it comes to gardening she's not into names and all that. She just has an amazing touch with anything green that's come her way and she doesn't know a delphinium from a hydrangea...
9.gif
But a nice unique plant will make her happy... THANKS MARA!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results