shape
carat
color
clarity

Need decision in 3 hours HELP PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maria&Bryan

Rough_Rock
I need some more opinons PLEASE!!! I was looking at a 1.72 marquise diamond, but I went to look at it and it ended up being yellow in color. It was a j. I have since decided on another one, and here is the info on it. Can ANY1 please tell me what they think. Thanks need to decide in 3 hrs

Cut
Marquise Shape Diamond

Carats
1.46 carat

Clarity
SI1 – eye clean

Color
H-I - White (Near colorless)

Polish
Very Good

Symmetry
Good

Measurements
9.44 X 7.04 X 4.68 mm

Depth
66.5%

Table
61%

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why the 3 hours deadline ? Is this an auction somewhere ?

It is unusual to see split grades (the "H/I" color). Is there a lab report ?

Also, "eye clean" can be determined with just one instrument... and that's preferably your eyesight, not just the sellers'.

From the numbers I can only tell this is one very fat marquise (1.3:1 length/width, versus the "preffered by the trade" 1.75:1-2.25:1 range). For such a profile 66% depth is quite a bit. Both proportions and depth make this look smaller, I think.

If you already have seen this and like the shape and clarity all this is not even worth the academic 2 cents. It is farely easy to compare prices using the database above (and whatever else on the Net, really). However, prices do depend on what type of lab report is offered, and for all the good reasons, it seems.
34.gif

Hope some of this helps.
1.gif

Maria&Bryan

Rough_Rock
Thanks for replying so quickly, i did see the diamond and compared to the 1.72 j --there is a huge difference. the stone was beautiful and had sparkle, it was clean to the eye, and compared to the j colored, again, there was that HUGE difference. But, the stone did have a nice size, and i was pleased with it. I have to make a decision because i live in Texas and I am leaving to go back. (dealing with a diamond broker in NYC) and have a time frame to have the ring set before I leave. I was just a little worried about the H-I coloring as well...didn''t know that it was colored H-I, I thought it was 1 or the other!! *sigh*

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lab report ?

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know much about marquise''s, but like other fancies, I''m sure specs are only a screening tool.

Typically you only see split color grades when referring to mounted stones. If this is a loose diamond is it Certed?? If the diamond doesn''t have a Cert from a major grading lab, you have to ask why. Diamonds of any reasonable quality, and especially this size, will almost always have a Cert from a grading lab. If a diamond doesn''t have a Cert it would be reasonable to question what factor or factors would cause the diamond to be graded poorly, thus offering better potential for a higher priced sale as an unCerted diamond.
2.gif

Maria&Bryan

Rough_Rock
Just called the broker and they will be sending a lab report via email...Keeping fingers crossed while I still have them, g/f will be sure to cut them off if i don''t buy the right 1...LOL...SHE KNOWS diamonds.....i have a feeling I will be in some major trouble...why can''t y''all be happy with a CZ ???? an EXCELLENT quality at that?! ha ha

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CZ ? N'ah... just this once
31.gif

Anyway, the shape is unusual for a marq. Very unexpected, to put it this way: a safe bet if you are getting it for yourself (which I thought you are).

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Fancies are tough. You should check out the Marquise cut grading charts at www.gemappraisers.com. If you use the DIY Cut Grading link in the left hand tool bar, you''ll find out what info you need to ask for from the Vendor to screen the quality of make on this diamond.

A diamond purchase isn''t something you should rush. Do you have lots of experience looking at well cut Marquises to know what to look for?? Do you know enough about diamonds in general to fend for yourself in the Diamond District in NYC?? If not, why not hold off on buying and enlist the assistance of an expert to help. Get someone to work with who knows what to look for and will help you screen candidates for the best possible diamond. It would be better to take a little time to learn and make and educated decision buying a great performer than rush and make a mistake that costs thousands of dollars.
1.gif

Dropdown3

Rough_Rock
The thread title caught my eye. Just curious, what happened? That''s a lot of money to rush into buying something.

Chuck

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Maria & Brian

3 hours....????? This is simply sales pressure it sounds like to me.

A marquise is a difficult item to assess, because there are issue with what is called a bowtie.

Labs don''t generally issue split color grades.

There are no reliable specs for maquises yet which provide you with accurate relation to how the stone really looks. There is also no girdle information and if there IS a lab report, is it a GIA (Gem Trade Laboratory).

I realize you have a target date to contend with, but haste makes waste, and you should have it looked at before you pay for it, which with this 3 hours limitation, you''re either being pressured by the dealer, or you''re pressuring yourself.
As the other posters have advised you, it is far better not to be rushed into this purchase.

There are plenty of internet sellers who will send a stone to an appraiser/gemologist that is independent who will not require that you pay for the stone, til the advanced testing is done. Lots of people tout refund policies, but many of them have other conditions in order to get your refund.

"When in doubt, DON''T"

Hopefully this helps you...

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results