shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Cushion Help - PLEASE!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don't love the setting now, you aren't going to love it more later. I would return it and hang on to the stone, unset. Keep going through PS threads, and read up on as many vendors as possible. Caysie van Bebber does beautiful work. Brilliantly Engaged does beautiful halos too. Erika Winters' pieces are super modern and antique-ish at the same time. Or you may decide that it is worth it to fork out for VC, SK or Mege.

I wasted over $6K and two years on other settings before I committed to Canera. It took me a while to figure out what I really wanted, and I sure wish I had just sucked it up and gone with Victor the first go around. But my costly lesson. Let it not be yours. Don't rush it if you are not absolutely certain. Give yourself time. Get to know yourself, and figure out exactly what you want, and what you cannot live with.

Vizsla Girl

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I definitely won't be keeping the setting but trying to decide on the stoke now since I actually like it but this other jeweler told me it was grey... But he also wanted to sell me a stone himself so I have my doubts I guess.

I am thinking of putting the stone into the setting below, even though the stone I have is a cushion and the one pictured is round... I have a $3500-$4k CAD quote and $6500 ish from VC :shock:

_35066.jpg

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I highly doubt that a beautiful cushion like that is "gray." I'm not even sure what that means, but if you're going to go to competing jewelers for opinions, you're probably barking up the wrong tree.

Agree about the setting but then again the price was 1/5 the price of the hand forged work so you do have to consider that in the overall evaluation process.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You went to another jeweller with a diamond from another company - of course he's going to insult it - you didn't buy it from him! Please take no note of that - I think the stone is lovely.

It's a terrible time to be buying in USD up here haha. $4000 CAD is $3000 USD (+/- any taxes you might have to pay). You can also inquire with some of the other custom designers if you don't want to continue with JA - David Klass, Brilliantly Engaged. They will be a little more budget friendly, probably better quality than JA but not going to get VC at 50% off.

Actually, that reminds me. Maybe you can check out some preloved VCs and see if they will fit your stone? Will be more difficult with a cushion but worth a quick look if that's something you're set on.

Vizsla Girl

Rough_Rock
Great ideas! Thank you!

I actually went to the local jeweler to have him make the setting I want... And then he tried to sell me on a stoke he had and told me mine was terrible... But yeah all Kindof the same I guess! I'm going to get the stoke apprised today to ease my mind and then I'll go from there.

The local jeweler also told me it 'wouldn't be possible' to have such a large face up size (this is right around 7.8) and still have a brilliant sparkling stoke because the proportions couldn't ever be correct :shifty:

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Vizsla Girl|1446049944|3943041 said:
Great ideas! Thank you!

I actually went to the local jeweler to have him make the setting I want... And then he tried to sell me on a stoke he had and told me mine was terrible... But yeah all Kindof the same I guess! I'm going to get the stoke apprised today to ease my mind and then I'll go from there.

The local jeweler also told me it 'wouldn't be possible' to have such a large face up size (this is right around 7.8) and still have a brilliant sparkling stoke because the proportions couldn't ever be correct :shifty:

There really isn't any such thing as a correctly proportioned cushion. Well, I mean, I'm sure there is in a branded cut but otherwise? no.

I'd really go with someone who isn't an idiot, were I spending my hard earned money...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results