shape
carat
color
clarity

Need blouse/shirt ideas

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I''ve noticed the worst part of my wardrobe are my shirts/blouses. I tend to wear knits like tee shirts under most of my jackets. They just look too plain so I am thinking I need to get some new, snazzier tops. My standard work wardrobe is dress pants, the boring shirt and jacket..usually not matching the pants but in some coordinating color. For example, dark brown pants, cream tee and sage green jacket. In winter, it would be a cream long sleeve sweater or tee.

I like to be able to take off my jacket so no camis or skimpy stuff. I also have a large chest so most button shirts don''t work because I always get gaps. A shirt that is fitted so it shows I have a waist helps. The trapeze shirts just make me look huge because they fall straight down from my boobs.

Can anyone recommend any cute, dressier tops that will work for my job that are under $75? Since, I''ve been buying the same stuff for so long, I''m really out of touch. Whare are some good places to check? I don''t have high end dept stores like Nordstrom or Saks in my area.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Have you tried Macy's? INC and Sunny Leigh have trendy styles that are appropriate for work and run at or under $75.

Have you tried wrap blouses? Maybe a faux wrap would be big-boob-friendly?
2.gif

Or the tunics that have the seam under the boobs? (providing the seam doesn't lay where it's not supposed to). In the right cut and material they will follow the curve of the body rather than stick out like a parachute.

What about a sleeveless tie-neck blouse? It would be cool under a jacket- it would show the shoulders if you take the jacket off but would not be skimpy like a cami.

You could also change up what you think is boring by adding a trendy belt (and/or shoes, purse, jewelry...)... belts (at hips or waist) are being added over jackets, sweaters and blouses.

ETA: I had read your post before I went to Macy's, so while there I was noticing a lot of non-button and non-trapeze options.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ID, I''m in the same boat as far as blouses. I actually just went to Nordstrom Rack the other day and found some really pretty blouses from Nine West, and they were around $35 marked down from $69. The two I got are silk with linings, they have little flutter sleeves and a side zip and they aren''t fitted exactly, but not too flowy either if that makes sense. They''re also not very low cut at all, which was key for me because I just got a job with a jewelry store and when I lean down I don''t want to be showing anything other than sparklies, lol! Try nordstrom.com or even Nine West''s website (ninewest.com?). I''m checking out Macy''s tomorrow, I''ll let you know if I find anything else that fits the bill!

sera

Ideal_Rock
Like this style, monarch? That's kinda what I was getting at when I said the seam under the boobs top or like this tunic... there are also similar styles that are more fitted though I wasn't thinking of this one in particular. There are a lot of blouses in berry colors that are really pretty.

wrap blouse- maybe that material would gap at the v? Maybe a stretchy cottony one would not?

Love this silk tie neck.

Nine West does have some nice blouses. Sunny Leigh was the other brand at Macy's I was trying to think of... I just bought a short sleeve, button up crinkled berry blouse with a black tie at the waist.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Sera--Thanks for the ideas. I am definitely going to have to check out my locally dumpy Macy''s to see if they have some of the options you posted. I have trouble with the tops that have the seem below the bust because it has a tendancy to go across my bust instead of under it! I like the silk tie top. I normally really need sleeves for winter even with a jacket, but maybe I would make it work for fall at least under a jacket.

Monnie--Please do keep me posted on what you find. I might have to just make a trip over to Chicagoland.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Island Dreams-- After seeing their website, I''m hesitant to suugest this retailer and include a link, because the fit model they selected makes all the clothing look like it''s for hoochie mamas! I swear, though, most of the clothing is a lot nicer in person than the site would suggest. They have quite a few tops that can be worn with pencil skirts or pants for the office, or paired with jeans and strappy heels for going out with friends too.

I think I''m like you in that I need clothing that fits through the waist, and when I''m feeling like I''ve fallen into a casual rut at the office, the think that comes to mind is that I''ve probably regressed in the fabric selections I''ve been choosing. (Cotton with 2% lycra is just so easy, after all.
2.gif
) Among the smaller chains which still have an online presence, I''ve found some excellent pieces in your price range at Arden B., and many of their pieces are in a lovely silk with 2% lycra.

I''ll link to a button-down silk blouse that''s fitted and feminine and attach a picture. http://www.ardenb.com/shop/detail.asp?styleid=37865191&colorid=10&cat_id=1&sub_id=0&page= But before you link to their other options, I will just again forewarn that the website''s model is horrible and somehow makes their items look like it''s out of a cheesy Fredricks of Hollywood catalogue (ew!), and really, the clothes do not look anywhere as slutty in real life as they do on the woman with the bad implants and contrived poses.
38.gif
Awful, awful website...

Top Arden B.jpg

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Seriously, the more I''m looking at the site, the more embarrassed I''m becoming about suggesting it. Seriously, who needs so many keyhole blouses and why do they think women walk around with their chest stuck out, hand on hip, and shoulders tilted to coo?
38.gif
TOTALLY wrong for real life.

For the office, one brand that comes to mind is Banana Republic. Having met some of the guys who work in their SF design studios, let me just say that it now totally makes sense that their mens fashions tend to be cut a bit too snug for het guys and the girls clothing always has a kind of... asexual look. Of course, that works well in office environments, and a quick look at their website show a number of options that are in a nicer fabric, but won''t gap open to reveal cleavage anytime soon. See: http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/product.do?cid=16814&pid=514724&scid=514724022

If you haven''t already, take a look at www.maxstudio.com. They definitely have some cute tops that are both modern and appropriate at both the office and dinner out, though they are a little more expensive than your target range. Most of their tops are in the 100-140 range, but not all, and of course their sale items are a workable option.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ID, I found a few things at Macy''s today...I didn''t have a ton of time but I managed to get through the whole dress department and most of the "classic" collections like Jones NY and Anne Klein. There were a lot of really nice conservative career looks at reasonale price points. They have a brand called Alfani that is sort of a funky take on careerwear, I got a top and a pair of black wide legged cuffed trousers with some tiny stripes in a berry and ivory color in them for around $100, and I found a great Anne Klein black pleated shirtdress for under $100, so I did ok. The AK new stuff was a lot of reds/blacks/greys, really pretty with nice detailing and not all that expensive, I found a few things I really liked but will wait for them to go on sale...I NEVER pay full price for anything unless I fall in love with it so much I want to marry it, which rarely happens, lol!

Funny sidenote: when I was in the fitting room there was a gal next to mine (the store was so empty, being a Monday) who was obviously and very vocally having the very best fitting room experience any woman has ever had. She was talking to herself kind of under her breath, saying "Jesus, OMG, this is perfect, I can''t believe it..." it was the cutest thing ever. I wanted to knock on her door and ask her what miraculous outfit she was trying on but I didn''t want to interrupt her reverie. Turns out she had recently gotten divorced and lost a ton of weight and she couldn''t believe she fit into a size 2! I didn''t get a chance to see what she bought or was trying on, but I asked the SA what she had and she showed me the Alfani line which was SO cute and trendy in a very grown-up sort of way. In all my years of retail, today was the first time I''ve EVER heard a woman so happy in a fitting room!!!

I''m attaching a pic of the top (Alfani) I got, the pic shows ivory but I got it in berry and it is soooo pretty. It''s stretchy and has an attached cami underneath but even the cami is not very low cut as to be especially revealing.

alfanitop.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And the Anne Klein shirtdress, I think I''m wearing this tomorrow with reddish peep-toe heels and my Burberry tote:

akdress.jpg

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
fleur-I really like the shirt you posted. I''d love something like that especially if it came in cream.

Monarch-great finds. I like the shirt and the dress. My local Macy''s is a dump. I''ve never bought anything there. But maybe I''ll get lucky and they will have this line of clothes.

And very cute on the happy lady in the dressing room. Honestly, I can''t imagine not being happy with clothes if I were a size 2:) LOL

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I also have a large chest and you just have to hunt and hunt and hunt for shirts with the chest sewn in with darts.
Overall, they''re always going to be the most flattering - or something with a little ruching.
Really? No Express or Limited? They usually have affordable career tops... AnnT?

expressshirts.jpg

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Monarch, I''m LOVING the shirtdress-- is it for your new upcoming job? (The Burberry bag you posted a while back would be PERFECT for that for daytime!)

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
star---I really like some of those shirts you posted. Where are they from? We do have a Limited & Limited Express. I normally can''t wear any of their tops even the fitted ones, but I can always try again. I have Ann Taylor too and it works great for suits but I''ve never actually found a shirt that works there.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
those are all Express

I've also sewn in a hidden hook and eye behind the gap part of regular button up shirts

I also like the tuxedo ruffle look of some shirts - hides the potential bulk that a hook and eye might protrude

But by far my favorite is like the red shirt - pintucking up the bodice and free at the chest - helps with definition so you don't have that "boobs out to here" and then straight down like a tent, look

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/21/2007 12:24:19 PM
Author: Starset Princess
I also have a large chest and you just have to hunt and hunt and hunt for shirts with the chest sewn in with darts.
Overall, they''re always going to be the most flattering - or something with a little ruching.
Really? No Express or Limited? They usually have affordable career tops... AnnT?
This isn''t the least bit helpful, I just wanted to say that I own all four of the Express shirts pictured in your post, Starset. My second home is Express.

I can''t be of much help here, as I have very....diminutive assets. :) However, I see women of all shapes in Express when I am there, and it seems as though a lot of their stuff is made for people chestier than I.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Has anybody seen any shirts like the red Express one above that is made out of silk? I''m thinking I want something besides just basic cotton blend.....

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
bebe did a while back. not sure if they still do. also, limited have dressier ones that are the same sorta fit.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Well, I finally got a chance to go to the mall this weekend. I tried on tons of blouses. The Limited had regular cotton button shirts that fit really well. I''m still not sure I''m a cotton button sort of gal, but the shirts do fit well. But the shirt I wound up liking best was from JCPenney. I had to go up 2 sizes from my normal size to get it to fit (very painful!), but it looks very nice on. I got a darker teal color but I actually like the lilac, cream and black too. But they didnt'' have those in the stores.

I still would love to find some long sleeve shirts that are similar in style perferably in silk/satin type fabric.

JCPshirt.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ID, glad to see you found som e blouses that will work for you!

MC, I''m totally using your hood-and-eye idea for "closing the gap" on my button-down shirts, I never thought to do that before but it''s on my to-do list this week to go out and get those closures and sew them in!!! Thank you!

Fleur-de-lis: mais oui, the shirtdress was my first day of work outfit along with my Burberry tote, a smashing success if I do say so myself! Actually, the gal I work full time with now has a big old fake Burberry (oh, and apparently she has two, she brought out the other one the third day I was there)...she commented on miine and I think she thinks I don''t know hers is fake, or maybe she thinks mine is fake...whatever...lol!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results