shape
carat
color
clarity

Need assurances or advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

deal or no deal

Rough_Rock
I posted a question a few days ago and only got two replies - must be my questions were boring!
I''m concerned about a few things: Is Round Brilliant the best cut as certified by GIA? The stone has medium Blue Fluoresence - is that good or bad? Color is I and clarity SI1 on a 1.51 carat stone. Would I do better to go for a smaller stone and get better color and clarity? Stone has one small crystal visible with the loop.

Please offer your opinions!
Jimbo

Agent3Civ

Shiny_Rock
Well with the advice I got when I purchased my diamond, so long as it''s eye clean, I wouldn''t worry about getting something more than SI1. That is exactly what I got.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2006 2:06:40 PM
Author:deal or no deal
I posted a question a few days ago and only got two replies - must be my questions were boring!
I''m concerned about a few things: Is Round Brilliant the best cut as certified by GIA? The stone has medium Blue Fluoresence - is that good or bad? Color is I and clarity SI1 on a 1.51 carat stone. Would I do better to go for a smaller stone and get better color and clarity? Stone has one small crystal visible with the loop.

Jimbo
AGS is also a great lab. Many prefer it over GIA. We need more info on the stone. Crown and pavillion
angles. You''ve seen it?? Is it eye clean?? Medium blue fluoresence isn''t a problem unless it makes the stone appear cloudy or milky.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

Jimbo

Welcome Jimbo ... exciting time looking for a stone!

I don''t understand your questions - that could be some of the prob! What do you mean by "best cut as certified by the GIA"

There is no "best cut" if you mean "shape". It''s all PERSONAL CHOICE. Of "round" stones, many people prefer ROUND BRILLIANTS and they are probably the "most popular", but older "Old European" cuts and "Old Mine" cuts and specialty "Solefstra" and others have their passionate fans as well.

MEDIUM BLUE? -- some like, some don''t. People are passionate on both sides of the issue.

Smaller+better clarity & color VS Larger+less clear+lower color ... there are threads that GO ON FOR DAYS & DAYS & DAYS on that issue. So much has been written & argued & debated, I suggest you look around on Pricescope a bit using the "search" for keywords of choice. Then see where you fall on the issue.

Seriously, people probably can''t comment on the particular stone''s cut quality without a heck of a lot more info that you''ve given. Do you have any more info on the stone? A copy of the GIA cert? A picture? Pictures get a lot more response around here too ... FYI.

Agent3Civ

Shiny_Rock
Deal, this was the specs for the diamond i got:

Price: $1,271.00 View Details
Report: AGS
Shape: A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 0.555
Color: I
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 60.5
Table: 55.6
Crown Angle: 34.5
Crown %: 15.2
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 43.1
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 5.35-5.36X3.24
HCA: 1.1

It did have an imperfection easily seen at 40x, but it was eye clean so there was no doubt in my mind I would get it. With the brilliant cut and everything else the rock had going for it.

picofvescosring.jpg

deal or no deal

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/12/2006 2:12:50 PM
Author: kaleigh

Jimbo
AGS is also a great lab. Many prefer it over GIA. We need more info on the stone. Crown and pavillion
angles. You''ve seen it?? Is it eye clean?? Medium blue fluoresence isn''t a problem unless it makes the stone appear cloudy or milky.
My original post was on 4/11 and listed all the particulars. Heading was "Good value or keep looking"?

deal or no deal

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/12/2006 2:15:29 PM
Author: decodelighted

Jimbo

Welcome Jimbo ... exciting time looking for a stone!

I don''t understand your questions - that could be some of the prob! What do you mean by ''best cut as certified by the GIA''

There is no ''best cut'' if you mean ''shape''. It''s all PERSONAL CHOICE. Of ''round'' stones, many people prefer ROUND BRILLIANTS and they are probably the ''most popular'', but older ''Old European'' cuts and ''Old Mine'' cuts and specialty ''Solefstra'' and others have their passionate fans as well.

MEDIUM BLUE? -- some like, some don''t. People are passionate on both sides of the issue.

Smaller+better clarity & color VS Larger+less clear+lower color ... there are threads that GO ON FOR DAYS & DAYS & DAYS on that issue. So much has been written & argued & debated, I suggest you look around on Pricescope a bit using the ''search'' for keywords of choice. Then see where you fall on the issue.

Seriously, people probably can''t comment on the particular stone''s cut quality without a heck of a lot more info that you''ve given. Do you have any more info on the stone? A copy of the GIA cert? A picture? Pictures get a lot more response around here too ... FYI.
I meant is it considered an "Ideal" cut - someone said cut is king! All the particulars were on my post yesterday under "Good value or keep looking" Should I post all the info again?
Thanks!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is the gist of Jim''s original post (Jim ... it helps to have the info all in one place, if you send people off looking other places, they might not come back to comment)

What a great informative site!
I would love to know if the diamond I''m considering is a good value for the price or if I should keep looking. I''m hung up on the clarity and color grade since my "old, small" diamond is an E-F VVS2. These are the particulars from the GIA report dated in 2004:

Round Brilliant
7.30 - 7.38 - 4.48 mm
1.51 carat
61% Depth
60% Table
Medium to slightly thick faceted
No culet
Polish and symmetry VG
SI1 Clarity
I color
Fluorescence Medium Blue

With the jewelers loop you could see one small "crystal" in the center. This is from a large chain that has been in business since the early 1800''s so the comfort level is there. The price is about $12K. Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Jim

Agent3Civ

Shiny_Rock
Jim, I am not 100% sure how GIA is but for AGS, the best cut possible would be an AGS 0 or AGS 000 which has 0 grades for cut, polish and symetry. Taking that into account for GIA, I believe their Highest grades are excellent. So in this gas the polish and symetry would not be the highest possible grade. Not sure if that helps at all, just my 2 cents on it.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jim,
The stats on that stone don''t look "ideal" at all to me. "Ideal" is another of those wishy-washy critera that means different things to different people ... crown angle, pavillion angle, those types of angles would be helpful. People tend to use the HOLLOWAY CUT ADVISOR and tools like that to judge "cut quality" -- or compare it against their own "fave specs".

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results