shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TheAppearing

Rough_Rock
I just received a copy of an EGL certification of a round brilliant diamond that I am interested in purchasing. However, the proportions just don''t seem right......
emcrook.gif

Seeking the advice of the experts....Please HELP

Carat 1.12ct
Measurements 6.61 - 6.54 x 4.14 mm
Depth: 62.9%
Table: 62%
Crown: 14.0%
Pavilion 45.0%
Girdle: Thin to Thick Faceted
Culet: none
Polish: Good
Sym: Good

Clarity SI1
Color I
Flour none

From the point of view of those with far greater diamond knowledge than myself, how can I predict the quality in cut of this diamond? (Besides using programs like Diamcalc that I cannot afford).

Thanks for all your efforts in advance!
26.gif

TheAppearing

Rough_Rock
yeah, I looked at HCA too

but price is a major concern, but I am torn on how much it shoud impact my purchase.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS
35.gif
Virginia gives good advice. This could be a lovely diamond, but the proportions could be better, especially with that large table, however some think a larger table can make a diamond look bigger. I would take Virginia''s advice and keep looking, cut is crucial for a beautiful diamond, while this one might be attractive, you could find a real dazzler with a bit more searching. Don''t forget carat doesn''t necessarily mean size, better a well cut 1 carat than a so so 1.10 for example, you want the carat weight to be seen, you would be surprised if you could compare an Ideal Cut diamond to a lesser cut which may be heavier, and see the better cut looks the same to a little larger.

EGL diamonds, especially the EGL USA can be great bargains if you are prepared to look and hunt around, the price tag will be lower in many cases, if budget is a concern they can be a way to get more diamond for your money, but with any diamond it is best to get an independant appraisal during the return period to make sure it checks out.

Hope this helps.

TheAppearing

Rough_Rock
Thanks Virginia & Lorelei!!

My price allotted to the diamond is maxed at $3K. From there I was thinking that I could get a better value of a diamond by cutting back on clarity (SI1 or 2), color (H or I), sym, and polish. And as Lorelei observed most of which I found in this "value" range were EGL cert. Thus far I have spent days searching various sites such as Blue Nile, PS, and now union diamond.

The cut of this stone is classified as "Premium" . But again those making that decision are the salesmen. In order to receive an established objective cert ie AGS or GIA, I believe that the overall price will jump out of my range.

Any assistance is GREATLY GREATLY GREATLY appreciated!!!!!
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Virgie!
35.gif
Ok I will have a nose too - bet we find the same ones
16.gif

Found this http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1958368.htm it's a K though but would still blow socks off, depends how you feel about a warmer colour.....but it would still be fabulous! Just under a carat and within budget.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2323660.htm this one too, $100 over budget though and .80 carat - it is looking like we will have to drop under the carat mark with the supercuts

This one http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1948513.htm# might be eyeclean, but if not the inclusions might be prongable, within budget too, but it is a .70

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, good pick on yours too - nice linky also! Where did you find the crown and pav angles? I couldn't see them on the site - I must be getting old......
emcrook.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Duh - maybe if I had scrolled down further I might have found them!

TheAppearing

Rough_Rock
Yes, I really loved the IDEAS!! You both caught on that I am trying to stay close to the 1 ct range. I wish I shared the same diamond seeking skills that you both exhibited!

Have either of you used or worked with the site UnionDiamond.com? Any opinions on preferred websites?

I especiially appreciate the "April Special"!! Got any more tricks up your sleeve?

*Dazzeled*
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning
35.gif
What have you found from UD???? I can also highly recommend my vendor Michael Jay Fifth Ave, he is a B&M and also has an online inventory. Being in the diamond district he can find any diamond you care to mention, plus he has a great attitude towards what he sells, a great return policy and huge choice. www.michaeljay.com His customer service is the best too - I am so happy I went with him.

TheAppearing

Rough_Rock
Thanks for following up with me, you guys!

UD has a setting that I have been "eyeing" but more importantly I am please with the selection and price.

Two stones that I have looking at are

http://www.uniondiamond.com/diamonds/diamonds.php?mod=search&search_type_id=2&action_type_id=2&item_id=AA150956
(out of my price range)

http://www.uniondiamond.com/diamonds/diamonds.php?mod=search&search_type_id=2&action_type_id=2&item_id=AA132938
(much better $$ ways)

They are checking on the second stone to make sure it would be considered "eye-clean" for me. Also their return policy is acceptable. And 3% off for any wire transfers!
3.gif

What do you all think???

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the one Virginia posted from Union of the 3 from Union that have been posted. It''s a GIA cert and .91. I have a .92 and because of its cut it faces up as big as most mediocre 1cts. I have gotten lots of compliments on it since I''ve had for the last 2 weeks and today I was in a mall jewelry store and the associates were swooning asking me how big and the like. I wanted a 1ct also but for the money we wanted to spend I made sure I got the best cut I could get. .2mm isn''t going to make that much of a difference visually really. Just a thought. I have an EGL certed diamond and it''s good but this one is much better. You can find good EGLs out there you just have to be careful and search. Just my 2c. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results