carat
color
clarity

Need advice on this e vs2 diamond

xyxy99

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello!
I am a complete newbie when it comes to diamonds and I recently visited Harry Winston where the salesperson showed me a few GIA certified diamonds. After some consideration, I am considering purchasing a 1.21ct E VS2 round brilliant cut diamond that falls within my budget and has a 3ex rating. However, I do have a couple of concerns that I was hoping someone could help me with.

Firstly, the diamond has inclusions, with the most prominent one being a cloud that is located near the center of the diamond's table. I am worried about whether this will affect the diamond's transparency, fire or make it appear hazy.

Secondly, the diamond has a crown angle of 36 degrees. I have read on some forum posts that this is too steep. However, the diamond has an HCA rating of 1.9 and is rated as excellent in terms of fire.

I have attached the GIA certificate of the diamond in question and would appreciate any guidance or advice on whether this diamond would be a good purchase. Thank you very much in advance for your help!
9B11B92E-3C4E-415B-AE7D-5E074B7BDC7D.jpeg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Within the GIA gross rounding there are combos that work and some less so.
VS2 grade setting cloud is often fine but it can be a problem.
How much did they want for it?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, xyxy99!

I wasn't able to find a vendor video for this one, but here is the StoneAlgo check (with a picture):

No issues that I can see, but one picture does not give us a definitive answer about the potential clouding.

What is HW's price quote, if you don't mind sharing?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, hard to find better diamonds without a price range.

xyxy99

Rough_Rock
Trade
Within the GIA gross rounding there are combos that work and some less so.
VS2 grade setting cloud is often fine but it can be a problem.
How much did they want for it?

Thank you for your reply. It’s about 32k dollars I remember.

xyxy99

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, xyxy99!

I wasn't able to find a vendor video for this one, but here is the StoneAlgo check (with a picture):

No issues that I can see, but one picture does not give us a definitive answer about the potential clouding.

What is HW's price quote, if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks for your reply! They ask for 32k dollars. I have another question. can this diamond be considered in the upper range of vs2. The seller said they are pickier than other places and their vs2 quality diamonds are almost as good as vs1’s…

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your reply! They ask for 32k dollars. I have another question. can this diamond be considered in the upper range of vs2. The seller said they are pickier than other places and their vs2 quality diamonds are almost as good as vs1’s…

They're asking for 32k?!? I assume it's in a branded ring, which is why the upcharge is insane. And lol, if the stone is GIA graded as VS2, then it's a VS2. Them claiming it's "almost a VS1" sounds like a marketing tactic.

I would recommend going with whiteflash and ordering a setting from them. You will save a ton of money and get a stone that is probably better.

Unless you (or your fiance, if you are buying for him or her) is 100% set on HW, I'd avoid those types of places because they are so overpriced (like Tiffany, etc).

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Totally overpriced in my opinion.

Rons Wolfe

Shiny_Rock

With a budget of 32k you can go over a carat and a half, get a better cut stone, and still be under budget with a nice setting.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
$32k is G color ACA 2 carat territory...and you get a diamond that is custom cut to strict specifications for pinnacle optics, human vetted and validated, all the advanced images, and the best lifetime upgrade program on earth:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So that is 20k more than a super ideal cut diamond! You are paying for the HW name and nothing else. So crazy! Their VS2 is no better than anyone else’s VS2 (provided they are graded by AGS or GIA). That is just more marketing hype on top of an outrageous price!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results