shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on picking from these diamonds ....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

notyouraccount

Rough_Rock
Hello All --

Been reading over this forum for a while, and have spent the better portion of this week narrowing down my search for a diamond and engagement ring. However, I''ve come up with a couple possible canidates and just can''t decide on which to go for ... so I was hoping some of you might give me your thoughts to help me choose?

What matters most to me is the cut/light return, followed equally by clarity and color...

G, VS1, .70ct
-- smallest of the three, middle price, great b-scope report, good balance on color/clarity for me

I, VVS1, .71ct
-- "I" color worries me, middle size, great clarity, great b-scope report, amazing price (too good to be true?)

F, VS2, .75ct
-- largest stone, highest price, good balance on color/clarity for me, excellent br-scope results

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Okay, here goes. I like the numbers and the B-scopes of 1 and 3 the best. As far as the I goes, I have one of Barry's I's. It's gorgeous. The numbers and B-scope are closer to #3 though than #2. His prices are quite reasonable. He's reputable, don't worry about that. He's got gorgeous diamonds!!!!

Just by the numbers, I would eliminate the #2. Probably gorgeous, but not my favorite combo of pavillion and crown angles. I think #1 and #3 will outperform it. The B-scopes tend to show that as well. So the decision becomes G or F. That my friend is one place I can't help you. To me, color is very subjective. Some people have eagle vision and can easily discern the difference, and it bothers them. Some people have eagle vision, can see the color, but it doesn't bother them. Some people can't tell the difference between 2-3 color grades (me). Have you seen ideal cut stones in person? Can you see the difference in color in person? Does it bother you? These are questions you will have to answer for your own color tolerance. I will say that most normal people of average vision will be unable to tell the difference between a G and an F face up once mounted. The reason I was being so picky about the numbers and B-scopes was because you said that cut and light return would be the most important things to you. You might not even be able to tell the difference between the cut in person (we are splitting some mighty fine hairs here), but if not having the best tippy top cut would bother you, I would eliminate #2.

Hope this helps.

Shay

P. S. just a consumer and diamond nut

Edited to clarify a point.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
I''d go with the G or F.
They both look good.
Barry''s stones seem to be cut a little deeper in general, but in all other aspects seem stellar.
It''s up to you and what you''re comfortable with.

Scintillating...

notyouraccount

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the thoughts, much appreciated.

In a store, I have looked at two ideal cut, same clarity diamonds, one a "G" and one an "I" in color rating. To me, there was very little difference except the "I" stone seamed "cloudy". I even had the salesperson not tell me which was which, and I picked the color ratings appropriatly. However, I keep hearing that with the Superbcert super-ideal cuts that the "I" still looks extremely great, which is why I am considering it even though originally I didn''t want to go below H.

However, I appreciate the comments on the cuts compared between the three stones. I am starting to think it might be better off eliminating the "I" and going for one of the other two...

I''d love to hear some comments from more people as well... on the other hand I still feel the price/quality compromise on #2 is excellent, I''m just wondering how happy I''d be seeing the stones in person afterwards. I complicate things on this because I want to have it set in a ring as well before I see it in person, so you can imagine the hairs i''m pulling trying to decide =)

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Can you have the G and the I sent to an independent appraiser close to you so that you can see them side by side and in person? That way you can tell if the price break is worth it for the I "to you". That''s about all I can come up with. Hope it helps.

Shay

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
If this helps the F and G are EXTREMELY close in size - so close I'm not sure you could see a difference.
Both lightscopes look good.

Pavil angle on the I looks a little steep at 41. Also VVS clarity is probably more than you need. - I'd go for color.

F - VS2 .75
Measurements : 5.81 - 5.83 x 3.59
Depth : 61.7
Table : 55%
Girdle : Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet : None
Polish : Excellent
Symmetry : Excellent
Crown Angle : 34.7
Crown Height : 15.1%
Pavil. Angle : 40.8
Pavil. Depth : 43%
Flour: None
Price: $3,825.00
B-Scope: 3 - VH

G - VS1 .708
Measurements : 5.78 (5.76-5.79mm)
Depth : 60.8
Table : 55.7
Girdle : Thin
Culet : .5
Polish : EX
Symmetry : EX
Crown Angle : 34.4
Pavil. Angle : 40.8
Pavil. Depth : 43.0
Flour: None
Price: $3456
B-Scope: 2- VH 1-H/VH

I don't think the human eye is going to see ANY difference in light return between the F and G.
I think B scopes are equivalent.

I think the G is a good choice.

Scintillating...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results