carat
color
clarity

Need advice on how to cut this Rough Spinel

iambernard45

Rough_Rock
Trade
Cutting in progress :twirl:
Very anxiously waiting.. Mixed feelings, anxious, worried, tiring. Can't wait for it to finish, let's see if I will be disappointed or happy :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bernard,
Can you please share the projections of the lapidary? Shape? Estimated final size? Estimated final colour? Design? How long it would take? I think it's going to turn out lovely.

iambernard45

Rough_Rock
Trade
Disappointing, disappointing :(
Wait I go back hotel and I write up my experience.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no.....I'm sorry. :(sad I'll wait for your write-up.

iambernard45

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi guys, this is not a good experience and I hope by sharing this, it will make some of you think twice before buying rough or investing into something not familiar. Ok bear with me, here it goes.

On Sunday, I happily flew to Bangkok with the rough Spinel. Got my meal inflight, taking a short nap and soundly landed. Usually, immigration will have long queues but I was lucky, there was so few people queueing, might be due to Bangkok recent political problem. There I go, get my passport chopped, get out to get Taxi to hotel, also no queue and very smooth traffic. Check in hotel safely. Of course all this made me feel better, everything is smooth-going. So I take a rest as Monday was the appointment for Certification and Cutting Master.

On Monday, feeling refreshed, I went to meet GRS Dr. Peretti, get my rough checked. He said I should get one side polished first and then come back. Ok, so I went and meet the cutting master, get it polished a little to 29.53ct size. From the polished side, I could see clearer, the cracks, and tiny little inclusion. Then I went back to GRS and got it memo as Unheated Spinel. All is fine, I intended to go back to the cutting master on the same day to polish off the cracks but it is already late night, so appointment on the next day.

On Tuesday, which is today, I went to see the cutting master again and got the cracks removed. At this point, I was very happy. I thought removing the cracks will cost about 8-10ct wastage but it was only 4+ct. Now, the rough was 25.26ct. With the yellowish tint gone, the color was then SWEET pink. We did not expect good shape, probably only Pear shape, but yes, oval shape was coming very nicely. I must be the lucky man. We studied the rough for about an hour, thinking how to facet it properly. We drew up the shape with highlighter, take some pictures happily. From here, we expect a SWEET Pink Spinel, 10ct-12ct Oval shape with that tiny little inclusion by the side. Here are some of the pictures (not so clear as I only bring my phone along)

photo_2_71.jpg

photo_1_70.jpg

photo_3_57.jpg

Ok, so we proceeded to shape it. Shaping up the stone wasted a lot of weight, which was expected. It was then 17.43ct, still within expectation. Occasionally, I stood behind the cutting machine and observed the work which I had totally no idea what he is doing. Sitting on the sofa, peeking at the work, waiting anxiously for 2-3 hours. And finally, the cutting master finished his job, weighing the stone and it is now 13.61ct. Wow, that is a very good 50%+ yield without considering the cracks weight. I was happy to hear the news UNTIL HE HANDED ME THE STONE!! I was shocked, is this the same stone? I checked the tiny inclusion mark by the side, yes it is there, it cannot be wrong! Then why is the color totally OFF. Ok, I am very happy with the cutting, full brilliance, high yield, but the color is not SWEET PINK ANYMORE, PURPLISH IS COMING! Why.... I do not understand and the master said it is unexpected as well. Here is the picture and you can see the color is totally different than the rough stone. Not because of the torch light but it is really that much difference.

photo_4_38.jpg

It all goes well until the very last minute :(. The finished product is considered an OK Spinel but with that color, I am definitely making a losing investment. I might be unlucky or inexperienced or whatever, but I am not going to invest in rough stone anymore. I'd rather pay extra premium for a fine finished gemstone, less work, less risk, less trouble. Thank you very much for reading up till this last sentence.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the lengthy write-up; much appreciated. I think the purple spinel is still beautiful and it is uncommon to see such a large spinel.

iambernard45

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you, ya it is still a fine spinel but I know the price difference is a lot.

iambernard45

Rough_Rock
Trade
I actually expected it to be a lighter tone version of this Spinel color during that 2-3 hours of waiting. Well, I guess high hopes brings out great disappointment

1780919_585996024802372_1342655716_n.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you at least come close to recouping your cost (rough, travel expenses, lapidary fee, lab inspection fee, etc)?

ETA
Ahhh....that spinel is very strongly saturated, so I now understand your disappointment.

iambernard45

Rough_Rock
Trade
I do not think so, I guess I will lose close to half of my investment.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The photos of your rough looked to be a light pink, so I'm surprised it came out so much darker and purple. I don't think you would have had a pinkish red, like the stone you hoped it would be, but I'm not a lapidary, so I could be wrong.

Thanks for sharing your story.

iambernard45

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yes TL, it was a light sweet pink color before removing the cracks. That color is still good and I will be happy to have it as the final color. There is white and yellowish patches removed along with the cracks, after removing it, it turns out nicer pink with slightly reddish color. By then, I had higher expectation. Who knows it is now so much darker in color with different color tone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iambernard45|1398782807|3662653 said:
Yes TL, it was a light sweet pink color before removing the cracks. That color is still good and I will be happy to have it as the final color. There is white and yellowish patches removed along with the cracks, after removing it, it turns out nicer pink with slightly reddish color. By then, I had higher expectation. Who knows it is now so much darker in color with different color tone.

Yes, that's the problem with rough. I've heard umpteenth stories about rough turning out to be far different from the lapidary or owner's expectations in the final piece. It's still a very nice stone though.

iambernard45

Rough_Rock
Trade
This is quite a costly school fee for me :), but yeah it is a nice learning experience. You guys should try on small investment, it will be fun.
Thanks Chrono and TL for the nice replies

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iambernard45|1398783256|3662662 said:
This is quite a costly school fee for me :), but yeah it is a nice learning experience. You guys should try on small investment, it will be fun.
Thanks Chrono and TL for the nice replies

You're welcome.

As a non-trade person, I don't buy colored gems as an investment, and often advise against that. I prefer to buy them for the delight and entertainment I get in viewing them. :))

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1398782419|3662645 said:
The photos of your rough looked to be a light pink, so I'm surprised it came out so much darker and purple. I don't think you would have had a pinkish red, like the stone you hoped it would be, but I'm not a lapidary, so I could be wrong.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Bernard: thank you for sharing your adventure. I am truly sorry it didn't turn out to be more along the lines of what you wanted. I am also sorry there are not lapidaries closer to you so that you don't have to incur all the expense of flying, etc. to have a gem cut. I too, thought you would end up with a more pastel colored, slightly orangy pink stone and was surprised at its change. That said, I think you ended up with a beautiful stone of an unusual, and very well saturated color. I am so sorry you are disappointed. I wonder if it has anything to do with the orientation of the cutting?

Can you share the dimensions of the final cut with us?

iambernard45

Rough_Rock
Trade
Sure here is the dimension
14.98 x 11.15 x 10.39

I like the cut, very luster.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Could you please post more pictures? I'd be interested to see more images of it. That's a fantastic yield, no matter what.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1398920040|3664132 said:
Could you please post more pictures? I'd be interested to see more images of it. That's a fantastic yield, no matter what.

+1. I think the colour is beautiful.

bobsiv

Rough_Rock
Trade
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I wouldn't have expected that result either, but then again with spinel I've learned to expect the unexpected. They often show surprising finished colors compared to the rough. Looks like your cutter did a great job to me.

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
This has been fabulously interesting to read, thanks for sharing your story and pictures with us! I do think you got a remarkable and unique gem (I love it!) out of the deal, sorry it's not what you hoped for.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
I still think the color is beautiful! But I understand your disappointment. It's hard having an expectation and then receiving something (although soooo beautiful!) else.

I'm totally jelly ;-)

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I totally get the disappointment/surprise, but it's really quite interesting to look at the rough and what you ended up with!

I like the finished stone very much even though it's not what you expected.

I know you don't want to lose size/weight but wonder if it was cut smaller, would it have stayed pinker/lighter? (a curiousity question only, I find this stuff fascinating!)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now looking at the second photo of the finished gem, I'm wondering what precisely you were anticipating in the way of color? The second looks like strong if not vivid saturation and looks to be the coveted hot pink - is it not? From your experience, what color would it need to have been for you to get your $$ back? Although very deep, your yield is excellent...

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1398959798|3664380 said:
Now looking at the second photo of the finished gem, I'm wondering what precisely you were anticipating in the way of color? The second looks like strong if not vivid saturation and looks to be the coveted hot pink - is it not? From your experience, what color would it need to have been for you to get your $$ back? Although very deep, your yield is excellent...

I believe only one photo of the gem was shown; the second spinel is what OP was expecting:

(however I may have understood something wrong and I'm making an embarrassing post)

iambernard45 said:
I actually expected it to be a lighter tone version of this Spinel color during that 2-3 hours of waiting. Well, I guess high hopes brings out great disappointment

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, LK, completely missed that! :oops:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1398960593|3664399 said:
Thank you, LK, completely missed that! :oops:

No worries ::)

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This does look a bit odd. When cutting stones that are double refractive or strong pleochroism such as sapphire or tourmaline, then a dramatic change in face up viewed color can often happen, but not usually with single refractive stones and no pleochroism such as spinel. Silly question, but are you viewing and photographing the stone in the same light source?

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
+1 I was wondering this too............is it possible this is only one side of a color shift/change with this now faceted stone?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Maybe a pear?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results